Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
This is to ask how many people were actually up on plane in that fog on Saturday?

You see around 10:00am I was in the middle of the fog (near 400 club, I think...lol, at least thats where the GPS said I was) fishing for perch and walleye and in the distance I could hear plenty of V6 outboards running on pad. Actually saw a few and one even had to make an evasive move to miss us by a scant 90 feet. Too close for my personal comfort. If we werent sitting still and heading towards each other the reaction times are cut in half............

We spent the better part of the day at idle in the soup and were AMAZED at the amount of boats we heard up on plane. There is no excuse other than stupidity.

I know the person that had to evade us, but he didnt know it was me nor did he recognize the boat I was in. He does frequent this board on occasion and I know his "sponsors" would not take lightly how he portrayed them and all fisherpeople this past weekend.

Play it safe, the risks arent worth it. I will speak to this individual one on one about this.

Who else was up on pad?

Mini

·
Registered
8 Posts
How in Gods name could anyone have even thought of going up on plane saturday? I too heard a lot of boats
out there running hard? I didn't stay long on the water wanted to be able to enjoy Fathers Day!
Hope everyone else had a good Fathers Day!

SNAGMAN

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ahhh, fishing with the mullets!! Thank God I was on Erie Sat. The fog wasn't bad down there, but I have been on the pond when all the idiots are running WOT in about 50' visabitlity. Had one fool miss us by no more than 30' last year and probably would have hit us if my buddy wouldn't have shined the spotlight at him. Good thing nobody got killed this weekend.

Is it possible to get a reckless driving ticket on the water???

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was out Saturday morning. I did not put it on plane until after the fog had lifted. I idled from 11 mile road to the 400 club which took about 25 mins and would never have found it without GPS. It was by far the worst fog I had ever been in and I too heard quite a few boats running wide oped around me.

Scott

·
525 Posts
I was not out there, but I have had a few close calls. Do not think this is only happens on St. clair, over memorial weekend on Lake Huron we were salmon fishing in the fog when 28 footer running full out missed us by less than 50 feet. Hopefully these morons (trying to say this nicely) get scared enough to slow down when they see how close they come to another boat.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm glad I was at a golf outing. I hope it doesn't take a major accident to get some people to wise up. I've had this happen to me to many times to count. One time I yelled and they laughed at me like it was a big joke. I don't care if these people want to kill themselves, but I don't want to go with them. Reckless boating sound like a good ticket to me. Charge big $$ maybe these idiots will learn. I'm for mandatory boaters safety classes for everyone who drives a boat. I know most of the boaters are courteous and responsible and the many should not pay for the few and I'm not sure that's the answer either, but something needs to be done before someone gets hurt. Haven forbid if it's any of your sons or daughters....

Mr. D.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I totally agree. I launched at Selfrige at 8am and the fog was thick. Visibility was horrible, less than 30yds. I idled around the bay the better part of the morning and never got up on plan till the fog lifted and was safe (after 10-11am were I was). However, I saw others cruising at low speed. But any speed was too much. A couple hit the throttle right as we were idling out of the launch. I could not believe it. I kept the engine off and kept my ear open for anyone approaching. Just ridiculous.

By the way I managed to poke a few crappies off your honey hole. Couldn't resist.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Alex @ Jun 16 2003, 05:14 PM)I totally agree. I launched at Selfrige at 8am and the fog was thick. Visibility was horrible, less than 30yds. I idled around the bay the better part of the morning and never got up on plan till the fog lifted and was safe (after 10-11am were I was). However, I saw others cruising at low speed. But any speed was too much. A couple hit the throttle right as we were idling out of the launch. I could not believe it. I kept the engine off and kept my ear open for anyone approaching. Just ridiculous.

By the way I managed to poke a few crappies off your honey hole. Couldn't resist.
WHAT???????

AND YOU DIDNT CALL ME TO GO?????

I see how you are, you win one and boom! Bigtime, too good to honor a friends fishing hole...lol

Were they good?

Mini

·
Registered
795 Posts
Don't worry Mini,
I was at your honey hole, Alex wasn't even close to your honey hole.
Alex thinks that crappie and silver bass are one in the same.
I just love kidd'in with you guys.lol

Yes was out foggyer than London in the morning. Only took 30 minutes to get
to the first spot. Never heard so many fog horns going off. You can definetyl
tell the difference between a frighter's horn and a low profile fishing boat.
BLASSSSSST, BLASSSSST......................buzz buzz.
Ranger boat horns attrack bees. lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
Couldn't get out this weekend...when I saw the fog was glad I couldn't....

Some folks just can't be educated about some things, but running at any speed in the kind of fog we had is just plain reckless...no other word for it...

Dave

·
Registered
666 Posts
I was out many years ago on some backwaters up north fishing for Crappies when the fog rolled in. Before we knew it you could not see land, nor the stumps that were 20 yards away. 14' aluminum, no GPS, no compass, no nothing just a 7.5 hp.

The worst feeling ever on the water (okay maybe just behind going over the coffer dam at Tippy in a 12' fiberglass) and I would never want to do that again. Ever since then I take it real easy with fog.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I didn't really hear anyone running in Anchor Bay until around 10:15 - 10:30 when wider holes started forming offshore. We idled up into the Selfridge 'bay' area. Even had several tuna boats idle by. Not everyone was crazy. We couldn't run at all until close to 11am.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had people almost hit me when it was clear...I now keep an air horn and an old 12ga pump handy for signaling purposes.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
This has happened to me on two different ocassions. Boats running wide open through a dense fog missed hitting my boat by less than 100 feet. Both times the people on the other boat thought it was fricken hilarious. Oh yeah, both times the driver of the other boat had a beer in his hand.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mini,
Had a guy just about run over Don and myself out by the Old South Channel, you could here this boob just running around in circles trying to figure out where he was and after he just about parked it up on the MinnKota he disappeared into the fog.
But alas the fog lifted and who was about a 100yrds away, but Mr.Dumb-ss! Needless to say I had to motor over and explain to him were he went wrong that morning.
Wait I know what your thinking, no I did'nt beat him with the push pole, that would have been the old me. This time it was just verbal abuse .
See ya on the lake.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Mine,

Carpfisher and I were out Saturday morning. We launched out of the Clinton River launch around 8:00 and it was as thick as I have ever seen it. We motored just above idle all the way down to the Metro Beach walleye hole. It was a long ride time wise but we both felt comfortable with it and didn't mind the pace pace at all.

You know it is amazing how you can get disoriented in the fog. I played around with motoring without looking at the compass or GPS for about 30 seconds or so and it was scary how I had no idea which direction I was going in in that short a period of time. I didn't tell Greg what I was doing.

We were very glad we had a maping GPS. It is so comforting to know exactly where you are relative to land at any time.

Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts