Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a beautiful day on the bay with two buddies. Between the 3 of us we caught 8 Walleyes and about a dozen perch between 8" and 11".

We were 1.7 miles out from the Filion Rd. access point 4 miles north of Bayport. We were fishing in 6' to 8' of water with 8" to 10" of ice. We got a late start and did not start fishing until 11:00 a.m. and fished until dark. Fishing was slow, but the small perch moving in and out of the hole kept things interesting. I got my last 3 fish in the last couple of hours before dark.

The Northland buckshot with 2 single hooks was the hot lure of the day. I believe the extra flash from the two minnows below the jig might have made the difference.

Sorry for the late post, but I was wooped when I got in last night and the web site problems delayed my post.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Great report, nice fish
i was out there yesterday as well from 7-11:30 a.m. and managed a few dink perch and a 6 inch walleye. seen a huge pike and a few gar pike out there in 9 f.o.w...... maybe next time i'll fish in the p.m.

were you fishing straight out? or closer to fish point? thanks, Smitty

·
Registered
673 Posts
We went just a little north, kind of on a line with the group that was way out there. I don't know the landmarks well, so it is kind of hard for me to relate to Sand Point.

I caught one small walleye also, about 4"

We saw several Gar Pike also. We met some friends out there who went way out, and they said there were Gar all over the place.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice! i like the rig u got goin with the stinger hook, good idea! Ive never ice fished saginaw bay i really wanna go check it out. Ive only caught a couple smaller stocked walleye in a private lake thru the ice so id love to go get some nice ones out on the big water!

I was in the area though fishing saturday outta caseville we were lake trout fishin and my buddy got one that was like 12 to 15 lbs! Definatly wanna take a trip back after that, what a fight that was and it barely fit thru a 6in hole! If theres anyone that fishes thata area and wants to share theyre secrets or reports for that area maybe i can tell u more info on where and how that big boy was caught. PM or reply whatever.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nice Job Craves! I was also up there this weekend, we were out from fish point lodge in unionville, out 2 miles north in 12fow. i got my limit saturday, my buddy got two. we fished from 9am-6pm. I got my first eye through the ice @ night. Glow shad rap & glow buckshots worked. water is crystal clear...like fishin in a big aquarium. watchin the action is awesome!

Argos are the way to go out there!

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE(chris24p @ Jan 10 2010, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice Job Craves! I was also up there this weekend, we were out from fish point lodge in unionville, out 2 miles north in 12fow. i got my limit saturday, my buddy got two. we fished from 9am-6pm. I got my first eye through the ice @ night. Glow shad rap & glow buckshots worked. water is crystal clear...like fishin in a big aquarium. watchin the action is awesome!

Argos are the way to go out there!

dont gotta worry about the ice when u gotta a machine like that!!! nice job on the fish, u ever need a fishing buddy ill fill up the argo!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The DNR access site is at the intersection of M25 and Filion Rd. ( spelling?).

Look for Bayport on the map and go 4 miles north.

Great job Chris. You are right, the water was crystal clear. Watching the fish all day was awesome. I missed the 1st walleye I saw because he spooked the $%^ out of me when he came in. The 1st two I caught I was sight fishing - very exciting!

My 4 wheeler did o.k., but that Argo is tremendous!

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you don't mind a few questions? How thick is the ice? Do you think it will hold up with a south wind? Are there a ton of peoples fishing out there or do you have some room to rome? Thanx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.