Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to plan a trip to Saginaw Bay for the first time with my son and buddy. We have all the equipment including snowmobiles.... just need someone to get us to the "spots" safely. Planning the Feb. 12th weekend. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
63 Posts
QUOTE(sails call @ Jan 26 2010, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Trying to plan a trip to Saginaw Bay for the first time with my son and buddy. We have all the equipment including snowmobiles.... just need someone to get us to the "spots" safely. Planning the Feb. 12th weekend. Any recommendations?

Yea, wait longer. The Bay hasnt been very safe this year, and sundays weather just made things even worse. ALOT of people have went through the Ice, and several have Died. I wouldnt go out on the bay for a while, maybe not even at all. The River has been safer, but even that is going to be risky for the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
go on www.michigan-sportsman.com and click on the ice fishing saginaw bay forum. you will be able to find all the info you need right there. a lot of guys will take you out if you offer to pay for their gas, bait, lunch and beer. there are also some guides that charge a flat rate, you should be able to find them on that site. the bay should be fine by the feb. 12th. and also 2 people have died this winter not several. although that is still too many. it has been dangerous this year but then again it is always dangerous. if you have never been then you are doing the right thing by thinking about hiring a guide. and at the least hook up with a local up there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
QUOTE(castforcash @ Jan 26 2010, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>go on www.michigan-sportsman.com and click on the ice fishing saginaw bay forum. you will be able to find all the info you need right there. a lot of guys will take you out if you offer to pay for their gas, bait, lunch and beer. there are also some guides that charge a flat rate, you should be able to find them on that site. the bay should be fine by the feb. 12th. and also 2 people have died this winter not several. although that is still too many. it has been dangerous this year but then again it is always dangerous. if you have never been then you are doing the right thing by thinking about hiring a guide. and at the least hook up with a local up there.

I'm sorry i was way over board by saying several instead of a couple, and that needed to be corrected for sure, now he can be alot less cautious knowing that it was only 2.

Either way be careful, i would wait longer then Feb 12 alot of guys fell through before this weather, why would it be safer in 2 weeks then it was a week ago? Your life your choice.

·
Registered
179 Posts
joco wasn't trying to call ya out just stating facts. it should get better in 2 weeks cuz there is some good cold weather predicted, but we all know how those forecasts are these days. by no means are you gonna be able run all over the place out there on a machine. this weekend the shiver on the river t starts and with the temps predicted it could be the most dangerous its been all year due to the fact that skim ice is gonna form where there was open water. add to that a little snow and you have a disaster waiting to happen. we fished 3 times this year on the east side and never went out more than 3 miles although guys were going out much further. we had 7 to 12" of ice everywhere we went. latest reports show open water on shore and no way to get on the ice unless you have an airboat. wind is supposed to blow all week and that could create more problems. if they get the right winds and the cold they are forecasting it should tighten back up by feb 12th but only time will tell

·
Registered
307 Posts
QUOTE(JOCo @ Jan 26 2010, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(sails call @ Jan 26 2010, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Trying to plan a trip to Saginaw Bay for the first time with my son and buddy. We have all the equipment including snowmobiles.... just need someone to get us to the "spots" safely. Planning the Feb. 12th weekend. Any recommendations?

Yea, wait longer. The Bay hasnt been very safe this year, and sundays weather just made things even worse. ALOT of people have went through the Ice, and several have Died. I wouldnt go out on the bay for a while, maybe not even at all. The River has been safer, but even that is going to be risky for the next couple weeks.

And how many times have u fished the bay this year??? It's one thing to give advise on being safe but when your not knowledgeable on the topic you might as well not even comment.

Id check out these guys http://www.fishsaginawbay.com/ice.html Walleye express is the real deal on Sag.

·
Registered
458 Posts
i was at the river this week end 10in of ice all day and have buddy up there that are fishing it as i tiye the bay is still safe but u cant get to the real good spots rive has 8in of ice still along wit the bay just stay away from the cracks .the idoits that are going though are running the cracks trying to cross

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I would pm robert25 he lives up there and might be able to tell you some good spots. From what I have been told he is a good guy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Jan 27 2010, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would pm robert25 he lives up there and might be able to tell you some good spots. From what I have been told he is a good guy.

I agree. Met robert a couple weeks ago when i fished river for 1st time. Real nice guy and willing to help.

craig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.