Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
QUOTE(StarSailor @ Dec 2 2003, 04:19 PM)Agreed on the inability of sailboaters to anchor out in the flats area. About the only place I know is in the old channel between Gull and the Old Club.

But even if there was a place for sailors to anchor we would still spend the greater part of our time sailing. The beauty of sailing is that you don't have to anchor to have a good time aboard. I can mix margaritas under full sail without spilling a drop in all but the roughest conditions all while carrying on a conversation and listening to the stereo.

I must admit though that I do like to have destination and it would be nice if our little "great" lake had more anchoring options. Although anchoring in 2 and a half feet of water may be possible for a powerboater, I'm sure they would prefer to have a little more room underneath their props too!

Starsailor
I think we found our Sailing Moderator!

QUOTE(StarSailor @ Dec 4 2003, 09:43 PM)Garydebs,

I appreciate the nomination but.....moderate what?? There are like 3 sailors on this board!

Star

Do you know alot of sailboaters? We need someone to bring us all together!

This would be a perfect opportunity. You would be able to share your passion with fellow boater alike.

Sailboats scare the heck out of me, but they glide so gracefully through the water.

At 5 to 6 ft draft we are very limited on this lake. There are a few boats shallower but then they are either small or give up performance to be shallow. That really limits where we can go on LSC. I only know of 1 anchorage at Metro Beach. Most marina's aren't terribly accomodating either.
It's difficult to find deep enough water just to keep ou boats in here.

If you really want to get known by sailors you need to sponsor NOOD or a Mac race or something that a lot of us go to. Most of us don't bother going to the boat shows here. The spring Metro Beach is completely worthles. The fall show usually has a few more sailboats but barely worth price of admission. The indoor show in winter definetely has nothing.

I go both ways! Was born & raised a stinkboater. At age 14, I drifted away from the dock in an 8 foot sailboat when my best freind was ashore looking the other way. Being the dare devil I was, I think I untied the line myself just to see him P.O.ed. Never lost the itch and currently spend about 1/2 of boating time racing our Swede 41'. Other 1/2 is aboard our 1978 (almost classic) SeaRay 30'. It's the best of both worlds, and yes, I have sailed my 5' draft extensively thru the flats. Even have an island getaway on the Sni. BlowBoating freinds can't understand how I can justify a $400 fuel bill for a round trip to Cedar Point, but between the 2 couples aboard, we were able to get paid for 6 extra work days (total between us) and still enjoy the 3 day weekend. Even had enough time to stop for lunch at Put-in-Bay on the rebound. However I would never consider an extended trip on a powerboat, say to upper Lk Huron. My buddy was weathered in for 3 days cause he couldn't stand sucking diesel fumes in a following sea during a 20kt blow aboard his luxury 45' motoryacht. Those same 3 days were among the most enjoyable I've ever spent on Lk Huron. I've made several 24+ hour non-stop runs aboard blowboats, including one from Detroit to Chicago. Only took 4 days & probably less than $50 diesel. Don't think many powerboaters could have got there much quicker. But I have to agree when the perch are biting, there's nothing like the open cockpit & speed of a powerboat to explore the many weedbeds of LSC. I feel as a group, blowboaters in general are much safer & have a higher respect for the water than powerboaters. The fact that the weather is key to sailing, forces one to become more knowledgable of the elements. As for destination boating, powerboaters heading to muscamoot or gull must suck their martinis between wave hits, while sailboaters seem to be able to actually enjoy the trip. Most often, the destination for a sailor is simply the lake itself. I get a real kick out of seeing the powerboaters tossing a 2ft wake in the clinton river trying to get in during a squal. If they don't like the water (rain that is), what the H--- are they doing out on the lake?

I have a 25' S-2, rigged for racing....anyone want to give sailing a shot give me a jingle this summer.
I have a bosuns chair and I dangle people from the mast, It's a hoot.....every wave i can just dunk your feet.....or all of you.

QUOTE(Taxman @ Dec 19 2003, 01:49 PM)I have a 25' S-2, rigged for racing....anyone want to give sailing a shot give me a jingle this summer.
I have a bosuns chair and I dangle people from the mast, It's a hoot.....every wave i can just dunk your feet.....or all of you.

Hope I get a chance to take you up on that. Really having a tough time deciding which to look into. I knoe the lake is pretty shallow but if its a go then I get a live aboard to retire on. But want to be very sure if you know what I mean. Thanks for the offer.

QUOTE(pushin_on @ Dec 22 2003, 09:06 AM)QUOTE(Taxman @ Dec 19 2003, 01:49 PM)I have a 25' S-2, rigged for racing....anyone want to give sailing a shot give me a jingle this summer.

Hope I get a chance to take you up on that. Really having a tough time deciding which to look into. I knoe the lake is pretty shallow but if its a go then I get a live aboard to retire on. But want to be very sure if you know what I mean. Thanks for the offer.

My boat has a draft from 9" to 6'6"

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.