Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Sailing

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Taxman 
#1 ·
I just wanted to start a topic in here because it looked so empty.

See less See more
#3 ·
QUOTEHow do we "jump start" this section of the board?
buy snailboaters computers

#6 ·
RyanMI25 that seems a little harsh. It's a large lake and while the site might not be all things sailing it is all things Lake St Clair. What better way to improve relationships between sailors, powerboaters, and fisherman on our lake than a open fourm like this.

#7 ·
AGREE WITH YA RERUN !
Hey guys...utilize this great tool for the lake, and utilize the openess and frienships that have been made from this
love of our lake

#8 ·
QUOTE(rerun @ Nov 14 2003, 08:55 AM)RyanMI25 that seems a little harsh. It's a large lake and while the site might not be all things sailing it is all things Lake St Clair. What better way to improve relationships between sailors, powerboaters, and fisherman on our lake than a open fourm like this.
Here Here

#9 ·
its was just a harmless joke

#10 ·
well saying things like that are a major deterant for them to join and enjoy the site, fun , and friendly people.
let them get to know us, so they know you are kidding.
that to me seem very derogatory towards them...
that may be why there are no sailer's in this area.
just my.02

#12 ·
"pushin on" i know of a few "pro" and "sport" sailboters, but it is the off season....
PM me for more!

try me, then try RyanMI25 as he seems like an avid sailboter

#13 ·
QUOTE(Fast~Eddie @ Nov 18 2003, 05:28 PM)well saying things like that are a major deterant for them to join and enjoy the site, fun , and friendly people.
let them get to know us, so they know you are kidding.
that to me seem very derogatory towards them...
that may be why there are no sailer's in this area.
just my.02
Eddie, no disrespect to the "other" community on th ewater.
i have many customers who are sailboters....

one is a famous one.... Bob Seger. he is the one who told me "sailboaters are cheap... why do you think i own 3 of them, and only 1 powerboat?, cuz i spend less on these 3 than i do the one"

i highly doubt that that, but hey hes famous!!!

#14 ·
"Shorgasm III"
Thanks, I was thinking next season, Thought I might earn a ride by helping with the spring cleaning, launch.
Not going to make a real decision till late fall or spring 2005. Looking to maybe live aboard a sail? But I'm sure you knoe its better to try before you buy!
Thanks again
Al

#15 ·
I don't have a boat anymore for the time being. Sold my current one a lot faster then expected so I will go without a boat next year before upsizing.

Seriously though. There are several sailing dedicated sites out there where a lot of discussion regarding this lake occurs.

Most of us don't go out with the intention of running across the lake to anchor all day. We do that sitting at the dock. Sailboats are something you have to enjoy just going out in. The number of places we can go on LSC are also very limited. My parents own a boat on the Chesapeake. There are many more places with deep water to go to.

If you really want to find out about sailing the best thing to do is go and race on someone's boat.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE(RyanMI25 @ Nov 25 2003, 07:10 PM)1. Seriously though. There are several sailing dedicated sites out there where a lot of discussion regarding this lake occurs.

2. Most of us don't go out with the intention of running across the lake to anchor all day. We do that sitting at the dock.
1. you are able to use this site as well. it is here for you to use ........

comments like that make me (us powerboaters) want to buy the loudest fastest obnoxious boat we can find.....thanks, appreciate your sarcasm

G
#18 · (Edited)
I think that their not heading across the lake to anchor and party has more to do with their boats capabilities than snootiness(is that a word?)

We gather at Gull or Muscamoot all the time, go to Browns and the Tin Fish. With the shallowness of the lake, it seems that most of the places powerboaters hang out are off limits to most sailboats. I love the fact that I can anchor in 2 1/2 feet of water at Muscamoot and hang with a big crowd. If that wasn't an option, what do you do? Criss-cross the deep parts of the lake and hang out and party at your the dock. Maybe some of it's a desire not to hang with the obnoxious powerboaters, but a lot of it is they just can't get there. For us, LSC is paradise, for sailboaters, it's the closest big water around and you just have to put up with the fact it's too damn shallow to go anywhere. Just my opinion, and I've been wrong before.

And for the record, I didn't buy a loud, fast, and obnoxious boat to pi$$ of sailboaters. I just like having a fast boat and the loud comes with it, obnoxious is what some may think but others like it. I did take my silent thunder platform off at the end of the year because it was rattling (loud and obnoxious). Now all I hear is the exhaust and it's louder than before (but loud and good...)

#19 ·
QUOTE(Bill272 @ Nov 30 2003, 03:48 PM)I think that their not heading across the lake to anchor and party has more to do with their boats capabilities than snootiness(is that a word?)

We gather at Gull or Muscamoot all the time, go to Browns and the Tin Fish. With the shallowness of the lake, it seems that most of the places powerboaters hang out are off limits to most sailboats. I love the fact that I can anchor in 2 1/2 feet of water at Muscamoot and hang with a big crowd. If that wasn't an option, what do you do? Criss-cross the deep parts of the lake and hang out and party at your the dock. Maybe some of it's a desire not to hang with the obnoxious powerboaters, but a lot of it is they just can't get there. For us, LSC is paradise, for sailboaters, it's the closest big water around and you just have to put up with the fact it's too damn shallow to go anywhere. Just my opinion, and I've been wrong before.

And for the record, I didn't buy a loud, fast, and obnoxious boat to pi$$ of sailboaters. I just like having a fast boat and the loud comes with it, obnoxious is what some may think but others like it. I did take my silent thunder platform off at the end of the year because it was rattling (loud and obnoxious). Now all I hear is the exhaust and it's louder than before (but loud and good...)
not what you told me bill272.
KIDDING !

well they enjoy other things, leave it at that, but dont rip on us cause we like the color red, and you like the color yellow. (sailboaters) its all in what we like.

#20 ·
Agreed on the inability of sailboaters to anchor out in the flats area. About the only place I know is in the old channel between Gull and the Old Club.

But even if there was a place for sailors to anchor we would still spend the greater part of our time sailing. The beauty of sailing is that you don't have to anchor to have a good time aboard. I can mix margaritas under full sail without spilling a drop in all but the roughest conditions all while carrying on a conversation and listening to the stereo.

I must admit though that I do like to have destination and it would be nice if our little "great" lake had more anchoring options. Although anchoring in 2 and a half feet of water may be possible for a powerboater, I'm sure they would prefer to have a little more room underneath their props too!

Starsailor

#21 ·
QUOTE(StarSailor @ Dec 2 2003, 04:19 PM)Agreed on the inability of sailboaters to anchor out in the flats area. About the only place I know is in the old channel between Gull and the Old Club.

But even if there was a place for sailors to anchor we would still spend the greater part of our time sailing. The beauty of sailing is that you don't have to anchor to have a good time aboard. I can mix margaritas under full sail without spilling a drop in all but the roughest conditions all while carrying on a conversation and listening to the stereo.

I must admit though that I do like to have destination and it would be nice if our little "great" lake had more anchoring options. Although anchoring in 2 and a half feet of water may be possible for a powerboater, I'm sure they would prefer to have a little more room underneath their props too!

Starsailor
I think we found our Sailing Moderator!

#23 ·
QUOTE(StarSailor @ Dec 4 2003, 09:43 PM)Garydebs,

I appreciate the nomination but.....moderate what?? There are like 3 sailors on this board!

Star

Do you know alot of sailboaters? We need someone to bring us all together!

This would be a perfect opportunity. You would be able to share your passion with fellow boater alike.

Sailboats scare the heck out of me, but they glide so gracefully through the water.

#24 ·
At 5 to 6 ft draft we are very limited on this lake. There are a few boats shallower but then they are either small or give up performance to be shallow. That really limits where we can go on LSC. I only know of 1 anchorage at Metro Beach. Most marina's aren't terribly accomodating either.
It's difficult to find deep enough water just to keep ou boats in here.

If you really want to get known by sailors you need to sponsor NOOD or a Mac race or something that a lot of us go to. Most of us don't bother going to the boat shows here. The spring Metro Beach is completely worthles. The fall show usually has a few more sailboats but barely worth price of admission. The indoor show in winter definetely has nothing.

#25 ·
I go both ways! Was born & raised a stinkboater. At age 14, I drifted away from the dock in an 8 foot sailboat when my best freind was ashore looking the other way. Being the dare devil I was, I think I untied the line myself just to see him P.O.ed. Never lost the itch and currently spend about 1/2 of boating time racing our Swede 41'. Other 1/2 is aboard our 1978 (almost classic) SeaRay 30'. It's the best of both worlds, and yes, I have sailed my 5' draft extensively thru the flats. Even have an island getaway on the Sni. BlowBoating freinds can't understand how I can justify a $400 fuel bill for a round trip to Cedar Point, but between the 2 couples aboard, we were able to get paid for 6 extra work days (total between us) and still enjoy the 3 day weekend. Even had enough time to stop for lunch at Put-in-Bay on the rebound. However I would never consider an extended trip on a powerboat, say to upper Lk Huron. My buddy was weathered in for 3 days cause he couldn't stand sucking diesel fumes in a following sea during a 20kt blow aboard his luxury 45' motoryacht. Those same 3 days were among the most enjoyable I've ever spent on Lk Huron. I've made several 24+ hour non-stop runs aboard blowboats, including one from Detroit to Chicago. Only took 4 days & probably less than $50 diesel. Don't think many powerboaters could have got there much quicker. But I have to agree when the perch are biting, there's nothing like the open cockpit & speed of a powerboat to explore the many weedbeds of LSC. I feel as a group, blowboaters in general are much safer & have a higher respect for the water than powerboaters. The fact that the weather is key to sailing, forces one to become more knowledgable of the elements. As for destination boating, powerboaters heading to muscamoot or gull must suck their martinis between wave hits, while sailboaters seem to be able to actually enjoy the trip. Most often, the destination for a sailor is simply the lake itself. I get a real kick out of seeing the powerboaters tossing a 2ft wake in the clinton river trying to get in during a squal. If they don't like the water (rain that is), what the H--- are they doing out on the lake?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.