Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Salmon Reports?

2K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  Nitro225Optimax 
#1 ·
Anyone heard anything about salmon yet, I'm mainly interested in the west side of the state, Ludington mostly. Any reports would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I'm making my first salmon trip ever this weekend, up near Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, but I guess that would be closer to northern Michigan. Word from the cabin owner is that they've started running there, so fingers crossed! BTW, not to hijack this thread or anything, but we'll be casting for them in streams/feeder rivers--is there anything to use other than spoons, which I hear is the lure of choice up where I'm going?

#3 ·
I hear that there are some fish in the rivers in the NW part of the state. There have been fish caught off of the piers. Those guys are using live alewives and casting glow cleos in the early (like from 2 am -5 am) morning and late evening. I believe that guys in boats are also still catching fish out in the lake though I imagine that they are not out very far (200 fow or less).

#4 ·
Fished Ludington Friday before labor day weekend out in the lake. Lots of boats. Did alright considering I am not really setup for salmon. Managed to go 5 for 11. Big fish was around 15#, smallest was about 7#. I am thinking of making the drive tomorrow early evening 09-11 and fishing LATE thru the night and into the morning and then making the drive back.

#6 ·
From what I have heard they are nailing them out of ludington right now. They have been getting them for about two weeks now.

#10 ·
QUOTE(barnz @ Sep 10 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm making my first salmon trip ever this weekend, up near Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, but I guess that would be closer to northern Michigan. Word from the cabin owner is that they've started running there, so fingers crossed! BTW, not to hijack this thread or anything, but we'll be casting for them in streams/feeder rivers--is there anything to use other than spoons, which I hear is the lure of choice up where I'm going?
Ping A-T..........available at franksgreatoutdoors.com

#11 ·
Most charters are hanging it up now. My buddy River Rat is pulling his boat tomorrow. Fishing was HOT for the entire month of August at all the ports.. We fished Aug, 25,26 and 27 amd got 40 kings and 5 coho.in Frankfort. There are still fish around, but dont plan on smokin em. My buddy was out today and got 9 at Frankfort this morning.. Lots of fish in the Betsie and have been for several weeks. We also fished Aug 18 and 19.. got 14 for 20 and 10 or 20 both mornings. Lots of salmon in most rivers now. Yesterday a 41+ pound Brown was taking on the Big M throwing thundersticks,. The pic is on the MIsports board. Good luck! If you want more details just PM me.

#14 ·
QUOTE(rubbnsmoke @ Sep 10 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anyone heard anything about salmon yet, I'm mainly interested in the west side of the state, Ludington mostly. Any reports would be appreciated.

Grand Haven right off the pier saturday, No boat needed they were pulling in one after the other. From a mickey mouse reals to babboo no joke, I was their for a quick stroll to see what was going on and within a half hour I lost count of how many fish I saw caught. Even the Samon Charters were going back in forth in the mouth of the channel.

#16 ·
We fished Manistee thur,fri,tue. and went 9 for 11 in the 16ft aluminum long lining ran 5 rods planers and dipsies green and chartruse glow spoons were the hot colors 36 to 40 fow north of the pier not a slaughter but not too bad for the limited equipment we had caught most fish thur, fri.Tuesday morning saw about a 24' rinker on the concrete pier think someone had a small nav problem boat was completely out of the water will post pictures soon as possible.

#17 ·
QUOTE(MadMan7 @ Sep 10 2009, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fished Ludington Friday before labor day weekend out in the lake. Lots of boats. Did alright considering I am not really setup for salmon. Managed to go 5 for 11. Big fish was around 15#, smallest was about 7#. I am thinking of making the drive tomorrow early evening 09-11 and fishing LATE thru the night and into the morning and then making the drive back.

Oh Man, that makes for a looooong day, we've done it many times though. Please post a report when you get back.

#18 ·
-Rubbnsmoke
It indeed makes for a long day. Last weekend was just shy of a 48 hour marathon. My trip for today got bumped back so I will be leaving shelby twp tonight around 10 and getting the morning & evening fishing in and making the drive back late saturday night. I'll post you a report Sun/Mon.

If I knew that I would luck into a few in Huron I wouldn't make the drive across state.

#19 ·
QUOTE(MadMan7 @ Sep 11 2009, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>-Rubbnsmoke
It indeed makes for a long day. Last weekend was just shy of a 48 hour marathon. My trip for today got bumped back so I will be leaving shelby twp tonight around 10 and getting the morning & evening fishing in and making the drive back late saturday night. I'll post you a report Sun/Mon.

If I knew that I would luck into a few in Huron I wouldn't make the drive across state.

I talked to a friend of mine who lives in Pt Sanilac and he said,"Don't bother to come to that area, nothing is going on." He also said, "If you want to do lake huron, go to Pt Austin or Grindstone. Due to the structure there.

#20 ·
Fished Ludington 09-12-09.

Got an early start on the fishing, had 2 boxed by 4:45 a.m., my friend shook another one off at the net a little after 5, and picked up another around 7 am. Trolled for 3 more hours before we wrapped it.

Fished the evening from 4:30 to 9:30 pm. Not a single bump until 9:00, bagged 2, had a knock off, and had a rip before we could grab the rod. It obviously started to pick up, but we had to wrap it so that we could be back home by 4ish to get some shut eye.

The day totals were 5 fish with sizes probably between 6 and 14lbs. 50' - 60' of water seemed to be the ticket. The word at the fish cleaning station was tough fishing. The gentleman that hangs there and cleans fish for $2 said 0-3 fish was the norm in the morning, and when we cleaned our 2 fish that evening he said that he had only counted 14 fish cleaned so far, including our 2.

Quaddruppled check to make sure that I had everything needed for the trip. Got half way up before I realized that I never grabbed my camera. Sorry no pics.

#21 ·
Made a quick trip up to Whitehall to fish saturday evening and sunday morn. Good trip with some good action and lots of nice weather!
Saturday evening we fished for about 3 hours and ended up going 7 for 9 on kings and coho, we also released a laker. Dipseys, riggers and leadcore all took fish with riggers taking the most. Green J-Plugs seemed to be the hottest bait. Fished 80-85 ft of water. Highlight was just befor dark when 4 rods all went off and we had 4 fish on all at once. Lost the steelie that was cartwheeling behind the boat but managed to land the other 3.
Food Seafood Fish Cuisine Dish

On sunday we got on the water before first light and fished about 4 hours. Had about 2 good hours of fishing and then it went dead. Fished 90-100 ft of water and ended up going 4 for 7 on the salmon and also threw back 2 lakers. Riggers were dead except the 2 lakers that were both caught on secret weapon rigs. J-plugs took majority of fish again. Had a massive rip on a dipsey that started with a singing drag and pounding rod, but before it was even out of the holder it went quiet, ended with a lost moonshine spoon!
Almost forgot about the bonus kiddie sand shovel that we took on a J-plug while letting out a half core.
Lost 2 fish on slide divers and I am not sure about anyone else but I sure do seem to lose a lot of fish on slide divers! It was a great trip with very nice weather and it was great to hear those salmon ripping drag again!
Fish Fin Seafood Recreation Ray-finned fish

Attachments

#22 ·
WTG Casey. I couldn't get a crew together for Sunday so I packed up the salmon gear and brought the boat back over to the west side. Are the top 3 in the first pic all ho's? Usually I can spot them right off the bat but I can't put my finger on them in that pic

#23 ·
QUOTE(islander @ Sep 14 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>WTG Casey. I couldn't get a crew together for Sunday so I packed up the salmon gear and brought the boat back over to the west side. Are the top 3 in the first pic all ho's? Usually I can spot them right off the bat but I can't put my finger on them in that pic

Yup, good eye! First three are coho and last 4 are kings. Coho were real good sized fish! Sunday we were off the water fairly early but radio talk was guys getting 1-2 fish. Did hear some chatter that I think was out of Muskegon about guys fishing 300-325 ft of water and hammering kings and steelies. All the fish had bellies that were packed with alewives. I am surprised that fat little king in the top picture could even move to hit a bait! His stomach had the biggest and most fish in there!

#24 ·
Good job Kaycee... Great pics! Most I ever had going at once was three. Four of them would be a hoot!

Dont be so sure about the Steelie unless you got a good visual on it. The smallest of our fish came off a rigger 40' down and 35' back. He came up cartwheeling, back flipping, jumping all over the place. Got him in the net and I had to do a dbl take to see that it was indeed a king. Never in my life have I seen a king launch out of the water like that.

Going to try fishing either Lex/Sanilac/Harb this coming Sunday morning.

#25 ·
QUOTE(MadMan7 @ Sep 14 2009, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good job Kaycee... Great pics! Most I ever had going at once was three. Four of them would be a hoot!

Dont be so sure about the Steelie unless you got a good visual on it. The smallest of our fish came off a rigger 40' down and 35' back. He came up cartwheeling, back flipping, jumping all over the place. Got him in the net and I had to do a dbl take to see that it was indeed a king. Never in my life have I seen a king launch out of the water like that.

Going to try fishing either Lex/Sanilac/Harb this coming Sunday morning.

Yeah, the coho were jumping for us too. I am about 99% sure on the steelie. I got a decent look at him, longer more slender fish, dime bright, and hit the steelie setup which was a double orange crush spoon behind the orange slide diver set at 4. That setup is usually in the water for me and takes a fair amount of steel. Good luck this weekend!

#26 ·
Fished the Betsie River out from Benzonia from 9/3-9/7 and limited out everyday. Most of them were caught drifting black flies or plastic spawn. All caught fair and had a mix between cohos and kings with a beautiful chrome to them. Sad to see that many people were snagging the heck out of them and keeping them. To this day I don't understand why some people fish there if they are just going snag them. By the end of the trip the salmon became line shy. All in all it was a great trip to say the least and my forearms were sore for days
hope info is good for yah!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.