Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a long standing disagreement with my wife and was looking for some other folk’s opinions on salt and pepper shakers. One of our shakers has 3 holes and one of them has 5 holes. The holes are the same size on both shakers. Which one is for salt and which one is for pepper?

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(bikinigirl @ Sep 23 2003, 10:10 AM)3 for salt bigger crystals...5 for pepper smaller.
I disagree. Less holes is for pepper. Usually people want more salt on their food than pepper.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
larger holes for salt , smaller ones for pepper..

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(bobrob20 @ Sep 23 2003, 10:17 AM)larger holes for salt , smaller ones for pepper..
The holes are the same size.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
well ours arent , but ok more for salt less for pepper,,

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Sep 23 2003, 10:14 AM)I disagree. Less holes is for pepper. Usually people want more salt on their food than pepper.
ditto

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
QUOTE(Pamm-ee @ Sep 23 2003, 09:19 AM)My mom collects Salt and Pepper Shakers...

More holes = salt

Less holes = pepper
Ditto!

I had to fill up many salt and pepper shakers back in my waitressing days!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(bikinigirl @ Sep 23 2003, 10:10 AM)3 for salt bigger crystals...5 for pepper smaller.

its a flow control
Have to agree...generally pepper is lighter than salt. Harder to get out! <_<

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(Pamm-ee @ Sep 23 2003, 09:19 AM)My mom collects Salt and Pepper Shakers...

More holes = salt

Less holes = pepper
Incorrect. More holes is for the pepper.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
From AskJeeves.com:

http://askjeeves.broaddaylight.com/butlers...FAQ_21_552.shtm

Question:

Which shaker is used for salt and which for pepper (in terms of the number of holes)?

Answer:

Protocol and Etiquette Consultant John G. Robertson responds: "The salt shaker may be distinguished primarily by the size of the holes, and then by the number of holes. Salt is coarser than pepper, and needs the larger hole. It is also heavier and flows much more freely than pepper, accordingly there are often fewer holes on the salt shaker to help control the flow. However, there is no manufacturing standard."

So there you have it.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
QUOTE(Pamm-ee @ Sep 23 2003, 10:19 AM)My mom collects Salt and Pepper Shakers...

More holes = salt

Less holes = pepper
That is correct!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
5 Holes = pepper and 3 =Salt

·
Registered
102 Posts

More holes = salt

Less holes = pepper
I believe they are correct about more for salt. I'm just not sure why. I actually use more, or larger, for pepper and less for salt because to me, the salt seems to flow through the holes easier. I like allot of both on my food and it seems to work well.

I guess I can live with it either way. As long as there are only 4 holes in my bowling ball, 1 in my beer can, and 0 in my boat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.