Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All,

Going to be going up into the Salt River tomorrow morning. Looking at the charts, looks like you have to hold a course of 18 degrees going in/out for about 1000'. Appears to be dangerously shallow to the west and pilings to the east.

Tips? Clues? Warnings? Hints? Is the channel well-marked far enough out?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
The bouys should mark it well enough. I think the bouys go far enough out, I've never had an issue.

If you go in the spring or fall when the bouys aren't out, there are range markers.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(sleeper @ Aug 4 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The bouys should mark it well enough. I think the bouys go far enough out, I've never had an issue.
There are no buoys this season.

QUOTE(sleeper @ Aug 4 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you go in the spring or fall when the bouys aren't out, there are range markers.
Forgot all about the range markers until we passed them in the river
. We winged it. As luck would have it: As we were approaching the river three other boats were coming out. Figuring they knew what they were doing, we just went right down the middle of the line they were on. (Which was about where we figured we should be, anyway.)

Managed to "find" something with the brand-new aluminum prop and brand-new skeg, anyway. Either just outside or just inside the river mouth, going along at the high end of a no wake speed with the outdrive trimmed all the way up: Felt a brief "chatter." "You've got to be kidding me," I thought to myself. Sure enough: When the boat was pulled at the canvas place, rough spots on the leading edge of each blade of the prop and a scuff in the skeg. Figure I probably ran over a waterlogged log or piece of wood floating submerged.

I'm beginning to think either Lake St. Stupid is out to get me or our sailboat put a curse on the little power-boat!

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE(SEMIJim @ Jul 31 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>HI All,

Going to be going up into the Salt River tomorrow morning. Looking at the charts, looks like you have to hold a course of 18 degrees going in/out for about 1000'. Appears to be dangerously shallow to the west and pilings to the east.

Tips? Clues? Warnings? Hints? Is the channel well-marked far enough out?

Thanks,
Jim
When you are approching the river you will see 2 orange diamonds all you have to do is line them up and you are good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.