Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see on the sign it says closed now. Is it for the season or out of Business?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know a few years back the bank was working with them. They were only open a few days a week at that point. Recenly they have been open 7 days a week so I thought maybe they recovered. Another place on the water bits the dust

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I used to keep my boat there... way back when it was called "The Piers" (early 70s). I drive by every time I go to my boat (@ Sassy's). The marina end has done no real fix-ups since the 70's.. even then the bar/restaurant was struggling to pull in customers. Always wondered how they stayed in business, but it was always my impression that having a liquor license was pretty much a license to print money.

They've got a great location on the lake, view-wise, but for many years had little in the way of amenities for boats to come in (good protected docks, dredged channel). With Bayside Inn/Tavern right around the corner, Big River Grill and Johnnie Lega's just up the river, and a number of other good food places closeby (available to marina dwellers by car), I've always felt like they needed to "step it up a bit" if they hoped to attract business.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
we've gone there a handful of times and each time was definitely not a great experience.
(passable to say the most and even that is being kind)

I would love to see new ownership take pride in that place and really turn it into one of the
great places on the lake. We don't need anything fancy...just clean...and good eats...generous bar
dockage kept in good shape...and so forth.

At one time, I heard it was called "Nelson's" and was a very busy place ! peeps loved it.

Hopefully they can get some of that spirit back.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
They need to make sure the concrete blocks are removed from the around their canal. I found one with the prop on our old boat a few seasons ago.

I agree. It don't need to be fancy to get boaters to come in. Make it decent and provide a fair number of docks and people will show up.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jazzy

Anyone we might know taking over? I hope they make a go of the place. It could be a great location with a few changes.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
QUOTE(Capn Ken @ Dec 16 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I used to keep my boat there... way back when it was called "The Piers" (early 70s). I drive by every time I go to my boat (@ Sassy's). The marina end has done no real fix-ups since the 70's.. even then the bar/restaurant was struggling to pull in customers. Always wondered how they stayed in business, but it was always my impression that having a liquor license was pretty much a license to print money.

The Piers was my mom's parents back than, from mid 60's till 1981 (?) when it was sold after my Grandfather passed away.

Had may a birthday party there as a kid.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(Pachanga_Rick @ Dec 16 2009, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Capn Ken @ Dec 16 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I used to keep my boat there... way back when it was called "The Piers" (early 70s). I drive by every time I go to my boat (@ Sassy's). The marina end has done no real fix-ups since the 70's.. even then the bar/restaurant was struggling to pull in customers. Always wondered how they stayed in business, but it was always my impression that having a liquor license was pretty much a license to print money.

The Piers was my mom's parents back than, from mid 60's till 1981 (?) when it was sold after my Grandfather passed away.

I think my friends parents bought it after them and really tried to make a go of it untill they retired and move to Fla.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was there a few times as Nelsons, been a while, but it was cool.
A lot of good watering holes have dissapeared out there. Jack's, Candles/Barge, Brownies just to name a few. A sad day when the Barge closed 2 years ago. The waitress told us it was their last night open. I had the last bargeburger they sold.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
QUOTE(fitsus @ Dec 16 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Pachanga_Rick @ Dec 16 2009, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Capn Ken @ Dec 16 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I used to keep my boat there... way back when it was called "The Piers" (early 70s). I drive by every time I go to my boat (@ Sassy's). The marina end has done no real fix-ups since the 70's.. even then the bar/restaurant was struggling to pull in customers. Always wondered how they stayed in business, but it was always my impression that having a liquor license was pretty much a license to print money.

I think my friends parents bought it after them and really tried to make a go of it untill they retired and move to Fla.

I think we sold it to a Retired Det. Police officer, but I'm not 100% sure on that one; I would have to double check with my Mom.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
QUOTE(fitsus @ Dec 16 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Pachanga_Rick @ Dec 16 2009, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Capn Ken @ Dec 16 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I used to keep my boat there... way back when it was called "The Piers" (early 70s). I drive by every time I go to my boat (@ Sassy's). The marina end has done no real fix-ups since the 70's.. even then the bar/restaurant was struggling to pull in customers. Always wondered how they stayed in business, but it was always my impression that having a liquor license was pretty much a license to print money.

Any of you guys related to Tom Santos. He owned it through the 70s and 80s.

My dad kept his boat there for years from the early 70s through the 80s. I remember him from the mid seventies through the late 80s.

He was a snowmobile racer and ex cop. He had a large German Shepard named blue. As a kid I was terrified of that dog.

In the late 80s my mom and I leased the restaurant and liquor license until Santos sold the place to the Hopes. We could not reach an agreement to keep leasing so we moved on.

Matt

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(tcg @ Dec 16 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fitsus @ Dec 16 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Pachanga_Rick @ Dec 16 2009, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Capn Ken @ Dec 16 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I used to keep my boat there... way back when it was called "The Piers" (early 70s). I drive by every time I go to my boat (@ Sassy's). The marina end has done no real fix-ups since the 70's.. even then the bar/restaurant was struggling to pull in customers. Always wondered how they stayed in business, but it was always my impression that having a liquor license was pretty much a license to print money.

My dad kept his boat there for years from the early 70s through the 80s. I remember him from the mid seventies through the late 80s.

He was a snowmobile racer and ex cop. He had a large German Shepard named blue. As a kid I was terrified of that dog.

In the late 80s my mom and I leased the restaurant and liquor license until Santos sold the place to the Hopes. We could not reach an agreement to keep leasing so we moved on.

Matt

That's them He went by Hoppie and now I can't think of his wife's name

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
QUOTE(tcg @ Dec 16 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fitsus @ Dec 16 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Pachanga_Rick @ Dec 16 2009, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Capn Ken @ Dec 16 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I used to keep my boat there... way back when it was called "The Piers" (early 70s). I drive by every time I go to my boat (@ Sassy's). The marina end has done no real fix-ups since the 70's.. even then the bar/restaurant was struggling to pull in customers. Always wondered how they stayed in business, but it was always my impression that having a liquor license was pretty much a license to print money.

Matt

My Parents (Mom) sold it to Tom on a LC in the early 80's, Maybe it was Late 79. I dont think he had any ownership in the marina before that time.

But once again I'll have to check with my Mom to be sure seeing as I was not involved with the family $$ at age 10

1 - 20 of 31 Posts