Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to sandusky bay with a friend of mine. neither one of us have ever fished it.

i know that some of you are big shooters down there. i am not looking for your secret spots or wanting your secret lure.
all i am looking for is a place to start.

its summer, so im guessing fish topwater in the morning on some flats, and move out deeper as the sun comes up.

what colors work best this time of year. what structure should i be looking for. all tubes? i know spinnerbaits cant go wrong. how about jerkbaits.

thanks in advance. help a brother out

madman himself

·
Registered
243 Posts
You should be able to catch fish anywhere around the islands. Start on the East side of Kelly's island. In the summer months start a little deeper then normal. If you can find a shipwreck ( not that hard to do ) work it hard.

Be careful out there, storms turn up in a hurry this time of year, keep one eye on your line and one eye on the sky.

Found myself in 7-9' this spring.....not very fun!!
Good luck!

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
This time of year I would work the off-shore reefs around the Islands. Kelly's is pretty close by. Get a good map and they should be easy to find. Another area worthy of trying is Ruggles. Essentially the area from Vermillion West to Cedar Creek (I believe that's the name of it). There are more rock piles, ridges, and gravel bars out there than you can shake a stick at. Just need to do a little exploring.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Most of the shoals, flats and drops around the islands hold bass. The wind/current will position the baitfish. Use your graph to find them and you will find the smallmouth. Another good spot for drifting/dragging is to the east by Vermillion(about 15 miles). About 1 or 1.5 miles before Vermillion there will be numerous boats(similar to mile roads) fishing about a half mile out and about a half mile stretch(15-25ft deep). Just drift with the crowds and watch your line, Zebra mussels will tear it up. Bring plenty of tube heads. If you're not losing them, your not fishing close enough to the bottom. I hope this helps! Have a good trip!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts