Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as we have just relocated to the Metro Detroit area we wonder if at Lake St. Clair are sandy beaches as there are at Lake Michigan ?

If yes, where are they ?

Thanks, Tom

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
BY CAR???

Metro. Brandenburg in Chesterfield (pay small fee) no beach though nice park. New Baltimore (Free but very small, but not usually crowded). Stoney Creek Metro Park (although not in LSC but nice 26 west of Vandyke). Memorial park in SCS not sure if they have a beach

By boat... Strawberry island, Seaway island, etc....Heck The Raft has a beach now

·
Registered
531 Posts
QUOTEBY car metro parks...Any of them .

I don't know if I'd go to Metro Beach, it usualy turns into poo beach (E-Coli)
when it gets warm.

I like it up around Lexington, kind of stoney, but the waters usualy good.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think Seaway Island has the nicest beach. But you need to be careful - the freighters pass by very close and the boats get tossed around a lot. Definitely need two anchors.

G

·
I agree that Seaway's beach is the best that I know of on the lake, but you really have to make sure you're well anchored for when the freighters pass. You should also check that boats around you are well anchored. If a boat only has one anchor out, it will pretty much spin in a circle around it. Another concern is that it is just over the Canadian border and while we've never had problems with Canadian Customs, I've heard that others have.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
By boat, you also Sand Island by the middle channel (not very big, but a nice relaxing area), Gull Island and Muscamoot.

Bill, never been to Seaway Island, how close can you get to shore? Does it stay shallow and then drop off quick like Gull? I was at Gull on Sunday for a little bit to practice anchoring with the bigger boat and was able to get within 10 yards of beach (backed in) and still in 3-3.5 feet of water which is what I like.

I'd like to know more about the customs issues also.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I say go up to Caseville - the beach is great up there. You can walk out into the water forever and it's only up to your hips.

It's just like being far Up North but not even 2 hours away....

G

·
When you land in Canada, you are supposed to call customs and let them know where and who you are, and what you're bringing into Canada. At any Canadian marina, they have a phone that you can use and pretty clear instructions on what to do and it has to be from a "land" line. There is a Canpass program that you can sign up for (I think it was $25-$30 last year) that allows you to call from a cell phone up to 4 hours before you arrive.

Anyway, when you go to Seaway, you are "landing" in Canada the moment you drop your anchor. Officially, you should go to a Canadian marina or restaurant first and call from a land line to tell them you are going to be at Seaway Is., and declare whatever you have. Or you could call the Canpass number if you previously signed up for that service. We've never done that at Seaway, but did get stopped at Crystal Bay once by the OPP asking if we had called in. We hadn't and they told us we needed to run to Boblo and call in before we anchored there. Maybe this will be the year we actually get a Canpass and do it legally. Canada has different laws about drinking on your boat too, like no open alcohol at all when the boat is running, the need for head (porta-pottys don't count, unless they are pump-out), cooking, and sleeping facilities to be able to drink on board, etc.

As for depths, it varies and I don't really have it plotted out. We usually get within 15-20 yards from shore in mid-chest deep water and make the chilly hike in. Water temps are like around Gull. There are some spots closer to the southern tip of the Island were boats will be around 10 yards or maybe less from shore, so I think it drops off faster there. I try not to get too shallow, because the freighter effect can drop the water level it seems about a foot as they approach.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whats the closest nice sandy beach to keans marine (Detroit river close to belle island) at lake st. claire ?
I think gull for example is about 20 miles from there.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Port Huron has a really nice beach by land..just north of the bridge (can't remember the name off hand) ... not a bad drive.

I say stay away from the little beach at Memorial Park..perhaps even Metro too. Don't trust the water.

Higgins and Torch lake are really nice inlands....(love Torch lake)

Caseville, Port Austin ....Awesome!

By boat, you can anchor down by eight mile.... nice sandy bottom.. no beach though.

...then of course, the others that were suggested....

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
tom03, just up into the lake a small distance, behind Art Vans house, nice and sandy. You'll see the other boats anchored there.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Tom
rfdeiter is right, Art Van's backyard is a nice place to anchor, especially when the wind is right and the water is calm on our side of the lake. Art Van's house is between the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club (with the pretty steeple) and Ford's Cove.
We often anchor on the Canadian side, near Pike Creek, near the "big white house". It is often calmer over there. The bottom is sandy, too. Officially, you are supposed to call in to 1 800 CANPASS before dropping anchor. We don't always do that but have never been stopped.
The CLOSEST beach is Peche Island. Narrow beach but nice island. You can get very close, as there is quite a drop-off. They now have a nice seawall, too, and even bathrooms! At Peche Island, which belongs to the city of Windsor, they DO check to see if you've called in. They have people in uniforms riding around on golf carts, checking (sometimes). We often stop at Lakeview Marina to call in - the gas there is usually about the same price as Kean's, and always cheaper than the Nautical Mile. Or you can stop at Lilly Kazilly's to call in. Both are right across from Peche Island. But remember, it's a no-wake zone over there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for all the infos.

Do I have to sign somewhere up to use that CANPASS ? Can we call in by cellphone ?
How about getting back on the US side, anything to do there regarding customs ?

I got some more questions (sorry, but Im really new to the area):

- Do we get many quiet (regarding wind/waves) days in summer ?
- The days I have been out on the lake (last 3 weekends) there was a lot of wind (always more than 3 Bft.)
- Whats the water temp in July/August/September in LSC ?

Anyone going out to gull island on Sunday ?

regards, Tom

G

·
Here's Canada's customs site. http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/customs/menu-e.html

It looks like the Canpass costs $40 Canadian, which is what, $5 US?? (I just never get tired of that one...) I'm not sure, but it looks like that's just for an individual, and everyone on board has to have one to use the call ahead or call from a cellphone feature, otherwise you have to go to a land line to report. As for coming back, we never used to do anything. Then they came out with the I-68 program and I'm still not sure what you're supposed to do when you return. Maybe someone else will explain it here.

- Do we get many quiet (regarding wind/waves) days in summer ?

We do get a lot of nice calm days in the summer, when it finally arrives, especially during the week. The lake will get pretty choppy on the weekends when it's nice from all of the big cruisers churning it up. Then the smaller boats start to slow down to handle the wakes and make more wakes, and it can get pretty mixed up. It seems to be the worst around the Clinton River, Metro, and the Nautical Mile, where there is just a lot of traffic. I'll try to run farther from the western shore to get away from it, but study the charts to keep in deeper water. I've come across from the southeast corner of the lake on a Sunday and it was like glass until the shipping channel and then we hit the 2-3-4' wakes. It was like night and day.

- Whats the water temp in July/August/September in LSC ?

It really varies. The water around Gull and Seaway Is. is flowing from Lake Huron and is "refreshing" on a hot day or just freezing if it's cool. We still have trouble getting the kids to get out of the water though. Most of the lake where I go warms up to where it's comfortable to swim by late June, early July. The water around Macray Harbor gets fairly warm, almost too warm for me, and Muscamoot is comfortable.

-Anyone going out to gull island on Sunday ?

Probably, but with the weather we've had lately, I don't think I'll be "in the water" for a couple weeks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE(tom03 @ Jun 3 2003, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>whats the closest nice sandy beach to keans marine (Detroit river close to belle island) at lake st. claire ?

We spent 3 summers at Keans and would allways go to Peche Island...We have 3 (2 at that time) small kids...Some sand, shells, CLOSE...Lots of current though, too much for kids. We would let them play in water by beach but not off boat. Also customs bites into time...But for the proximity, you cant go wrong!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
QUOTE(WayneO @ May 20 2010, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(tom03 @ Jun 3 2003, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>whats the closest nice sandy beach to keans marine (Detroit river close to belle island) at lake st. claire ?

We spent 3 summers at Keans and would allways go to Peche Island...We have 3 (2 at that time) small kids...Some sand, shells, CLOSE...Lots of current though, too much for kids. We would let them play in water by beach but not off boat. Also customs bites into time...But for the proximity, you cant go wrong!!

ya know this thread is almost 7 years old.. lol! I bet new beaches have formed since this was started

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
QUOTE(WayneO @ May 20 2010, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(tom03 @ Jun 3 2003, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>whats the closest nice sandy beach to keans marine (Detroit river close to belle island) at lake st. claire ?

WayneO what dock are you on at keans? This is my firsty year there.. Migrated over from Harbor Hill, I'm on the 100 dock well 112..

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE(ColPepper @ May 25 2010, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(WayneO @ May 20 2010, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(tom03 @ Jun 3 2003, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>whats the closest nice sandy beach to keans marine (Detroit river close to belle island) at lake st. claire ?

WayneO what dock are you on at keans? This is my firsty year there.. Migrated over from Harbor Hill, I'm on the 100 dock well 112..

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE(WayneO @ Jun 18 2010, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(ColPepper @ May 25 2010, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(WayneO @ May 20 2010, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(tom03 @ Jun 3 2003, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>whats the closest nice sandy beach to keans marine (Detroit river close to belle island) at lake st. claire ?

We are now at Markley on the Clinton River!! Kinda miss Peche Island though...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts