Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
"Commodore of the ToT LoT"
2,809 Posts
Hey LSCN,
Just a little info for those of you traveling to Sarnia Bay this weekend for Bayfest. I stayed there this past July 4th and thought I should share my experience. Arrived into port about 5ish with confirmed reservations as I'm sure you all have...cool. After conversing with the Harbor Master on the Ship to Shore for my well assignment I proceeded there. I was greeted by Harbor Dock Hands and got old "XO" situated.....everything just as it should be......until:
I was greeted by 3 Canadian Customs Officers. Thought maybe procedure had changed because they asked if I would like to check into customs with
their cell phone. You see....usually you do that at the front desk on a Land Line with a 1-800 number but here I go thinking I was getting the VIP treatment.
Not true!!! It was a setup because I was picked for a what they called a routine inspection. This is where the story goes south!!! Usually they ask you all the normal questions:
1. Any firearms on the boat?
Yes, a 12 gauge flare gun kit(which by the way you technically have to claim).
No problems yet.
2. Number of passengers and their birthdates? (bring photo ID and Birth Certificates and Marriage licenses for those ladies to prove their maiden names).
No problems yet.
3. How long in Canada?
1 night.
No problems yet.
4. Any tobacco or liquor on board?
Here is where the story really starts....I stated that I had "Bar Stock" and a case of beer.(technically you are only allowed 1 case of beer or 1 bottle
of liquor per adult). They asked how many bottles in your stock??? I said 3 or 4. They said "ok" They then gave me my registration number and I thought I was all set!!!

Not true!!! The 3 officers took back the phone and asked if they could inspect the boat??? I said sure!! They went thru every compartment and found more then 3 bottles of booze. I think they actually found about 8?? You see....I was on the way North for a week in Lexington and was carrying a lot of stock for a boat and a cottage. Dr. XO was going to meet us the next day by car. Anyways they
confiscated all but 2 bottles of XO(thank goodness because these were about $140 each).
They stated had I been completely accurate in my description of quantity and whether they were opened or not opened I would have had no problems at all. How would I know to tell them if they were opened or still sealed? I really thought that the "Bar Stock" statement would cover it all!!!

So the moral of the story....
I would limit the quantity of alcohol you bring and be as accurate as you can in your description of it!!! Has it been previously opened because it really would be "Bar Stock" or is still sealed???
I would not drink beer while the boat is moving in Canadian Water(boat has to be at rest and have a Pump Out Head).
Have all your Birth Certificates, Driver's Licenses, and Marriage Licenses.

Don't let this scare you gang!!!! Canada is a great Country!!!!(for you Milord!!)
Just observe their laws and learn from XO's mistakes!!!
Have a Great time ALL!!!

XO

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I've used the "Bar stock" many times with no questiions asked, and if you know my bar, I got LUCKY I didn't get inspected!

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Thanks XO, we are leaving Saturday so this will be a big help!

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
I have to say, I find the rigid standards refreshing...

Not that I'm a lamo or anything (cough) however, I think many of us drink too much and then drive either the boat or car home... and I've seen enough people get busted one way or another....

And look how cautious everybody is being for this event!!

Cheers Canada!!

Aside from that, sounds like a fanTASTIC time will be had by all this weekend!!

See ya'll in the moot Sunday!

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pauligan,
I here ya about the "Drinkin & Drivin Aspect" but I really think it has more to do with "Money and Politics". Don't get me wrong I did have a lot of liquor on board......some of that was my normal bar stock. A liter of Absolut, Captians, and Bacardi Limon were taken which by the way were all unopened. That is what I always stock for guests. The season started late and we just have not got into these bottles yet. These guys specifically
stated that they want Americans to buy their liquor in Canada(hence spend money). If you B.Y.O.B. you're not adhering to that premise.
Sure makes you wonder????

G

·
Thanks for that PSA Scotty. I caught some of that story in the bay last Sunday, but didn't hear it all. I've never been searched, but then I've never gone to an event like this in Canada where they will have customs on site.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
I see what you guys are saying; My take comes from all the speculation on the boards about canada with the impending trip this weekend...

And a lot from this thread in the Lake discussion:

This other thread

I can see that it's political, but it seems to be an overall thing to me.

How tough is Michigan on Canadians in the reverse situation?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Not speaking for James, but I know he and most of his crew get I-68's, so I don't think he has to check in except for the customs piece.

Pauligan, the bar stock is for the boat as a "home". There are two places you can drink in Canada: A bar or restaurant or your home. That's why a boat can legally have booze on board if it's also considered a home (ie, sleeping quarters, cooking facilities and a head that's not a porta-potti). You cannot legally have an open beer or drink in Canadian water unless you are anchored or docked. That rule is different in Michigan.

Thanks for the heads up, Scotty. Sorry you had a bad experience.

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TTT

Excuse me for bringing this thread back to the top amidst all the "Fund's Threads". Maybe this can actually help a fellow LSCN'er if they haven't all ready left???
Ha Ha!!!!

XO
<_<

G

·
We're leaving now for Sarnia with all liquor inventoried - 1 1/2 cases of blue light, 1/2 bottles of stoli, captains, tequila, and nearly full bottles of beam and parrot bay. L8R G8R's

·
&quot;Commodore of the ToT LoT&quot;
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brought this back to the Top in responce to Cotty's
question in the other thread he started. Last year the peeps
didn't experince any problems at Bayfest that I know of. I had
gone the weekend before. Maybe they
backed off because of the revenue generated. I remember
Bill 272 never got to finish declaring his booze when
the lady promptly stated....."So what bands are you going to see??"
Just a FYI .....

XO

·
12,052 Posts
I think the REAL moral of the story is DON'T LIE. I go to canada about 5 times a season and you know how much booze hammertime carries. I tell them it is bar stock, mainly meaning it is not all for my consumption. I always tell them the truth. On the dock one time the customs people told me the bigger the boat the more they let you get away with. They figure you entertain and what not.

·
&quot;Commodore of the ToT LoT&quot;
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(XO @ Jul 8 2004, 12:21 PM)Brought this back to the Top in responce to Cotty's
question in the other thread he started. Last year the peeps
didn't experince any problems at Bayfest that I know of. I had
gone the weekend before. Maybe they
backed off because of the revenue generated. I remember
Bill 272 never got to finish declaring his booze when
the lady promptly stated....."So what bands are you going to see??"
Just a FYI .....

XO
[snapback]249226[/snapback]​

Here we go again.......brought this thread back for any "Newbies" out there this 2005 season. Like Hammer stated above......be as truthful as you can be. They will probably
leave you alone......

XO

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Always a little nervous about this subject when I go to Canada. But, I hope Melly is right about the large events? I didn't have any problem going to Cove this year.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Jul 17 2003, 09:31 AM)How tough is Michigan on Canadians in the reverse situation?
[snapback]102561[/snapback]​

Hey there -- aside from being photographed, fingerprinted, and background checked to get either an I-68 or Nexus pass (and oh yeah, they aren't free either); calling in everytime you land in the US (think dropping the hook at the 'Moot) or entering a US port of call; and being boarded once by a CBP (Customs and Border Protection) team, and inspected two more times last month at Metro as part of compliance inspections (even once at 07h45 on a Sunday morning
) -- nothing much. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining - it is the sovereign right of every country to decide what to do with visitors, although two gay guys and a pair of Labrador retrievers seems pretty low risk to me -- are y'all afraid we are going to redecorate Metro?

In the end, expect more Canadian enforcement on the river, lake and in port - both visible and undercover - as a result of our participation in IBET - the International Border Enforcement Team. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/enforce...bet-eipf-e.html

Scott.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
I wonder if Canadians go through this if they come over here
. It seems like other countries are more 'tough' on US citizens than we are them.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Here are the 'official' alcohol importation rules for visitors -- generally CBSA officers show some leniency if you fully disclose up front. Scott.

Alcohol

If you meet the age requirements of the province or territory where you enter Canada, you are allowed to bring in, free of duty and taxes, either 1.5 litres of wine, or 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of liquor, or 24 x 355 millilitres (12 ounces) cans or bottles (8.5 litres) of beer or ale. Except in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut, you can bring in more than this free allowance of alcohol as long as the quantities are within the limit specified by the province or territory.

However, the cost may be high, as you have to pay both customs assessments and provincial or territorial levies and taxes. If you plan to import more than the provincial limit, you must contact the provincial authority and get permission before you arrive. In most provinces, the limit is 9.1 litres (2 gallons). However, some provinces allow more.

Source: RC4161 Customs Information for Visitors to Canada and Seasonal Residents

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I was just going to put all my booze in a plastic garbage bag, rap it tight with Duct tape, then drop overboard at a high rate of speed so a Canadian boat going to Sarnia can pick up the package with a boat hook

I'm probably stocked like XO was but not the $140 a bottle stuff.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts