Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting it with 2 docking stations. One for work and the other for the boat. Does anyone here have it? I've been checking out XM and Sirius on the web and they look and sound very simular in programing. I know XM has a lot more users than Sirius. I was just wondering if anyone here has had any good or bad experiences with either one.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I have it and love it. Sitting in a cube all day with nothing to do but listen to the radio. XM has made my work life go by a little bit faster.

Although even with 100+ stations I still only listen to 10 or so. There's a lot of crap stations. But one mans garbage is anothers gold....so to each's own.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I have XM in my truck. I use it mostly on longer trips when I don't want to keep flipping stations or when I want to catch a national news feed, Fox, CNN etc. A five year subscription rolled into my payments was 5.95 a month.

Like rerun said, there are only a handful of good channels. I still listen to CDs more then anything. As little as I use it, I may not renew after the 5 years. If I was setup with a portable unit and I could get reception in my office I would say that is was worth the cost.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(rerun @ Mar 29 2004, 05:09 PM)I have it and love it. Sitting in a cube all day with nothing to do but listen to the radio. XM has made my work life go by a little bit faster.

Although even with 100+ stations I still only listen to 10 or so. There's a lot of crap stations. But one mans garbage is anothers gold....so to each's own.
Any reason you went with XM instead of Sirius?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
No reason really...but XM has 1 million plus stations and Sirus only has something like 200k. I just feel like going with the XM is a safer choice. Also XM has a Nascar station that I like.

Stations that I enjoy:

(8) 80's station
(9) 90's station
(16) top country hits
(20) to 20 hits
a bunch of rock, rap stations
(81) cheesy dance/techno hits
(101) Reggae
(121) Fox News
(124) ABC News (Hannity early afternoon)
140-144 all sports stations but for the most part (144) Nascar to "research" for my fantisy league.
Comedy stations are alright but they don't play one act for to long they only play a skit from each..so one min I'm laughing my a$$ off at crankyankers or old school Eddie Murphy only for them to switch it to Henny Youngman on me...where I have to now swtich the station.
(155) MTV radio
(156) VH1 radio
(161) Discovery radio
(162) E!

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
I too have XM. I chose XM over Sirrus because the Delphi SkyFi system is one of the coolest setups, and only available for XM. Although the receiver can be easily moved from car to home, I ended up buying two receivers so that I can keep one at home, and one in my truck. My favorite thing about it, is that I don't have to hear the same songs over and over like on FM, unless I *want* to.

Like B2B said, it's great for road trips!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have had the delphi skifi unit for almost a year now. I love it. If you listen to music alot, it is definitly worth it. I can always find something to listen to. Often there are so many good songs playing that I can't decide which ones to listen too. I find myself flipping back and forth like trying to watch more than 1 tv show at a time. The music selection is much better than any other service such as music choice. Comedy stations are great on long tirps too.
I use it in my truck, at home, and on the boat. My only complaint is the sound quality could be better. It sounds better than most radio stations though, and the average listener would probably not notice it (I am an audiophile)

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I also use the Delphi boombox system. It was the only one to have a handphone jack...which is req'd at my work.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Bill has XM in the truck. It came with the hookup and a 6 month subscription. Now we're hooked. I hate paying another monthly charge, but we really enjoy the comedy stations and the music. The kids like XM kids and the Disney channel, plus they can plug headphones in and listen separately from us. We'll probably keep it for awhile, but dump it when we can't justify it...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hiya. Does anybody already have it on their boat -- are there any reception problems out on the lake (on the US side, or on the Canadian side)? My Four Winns came with a Sony XM-ready CD/MP3 player -- all I would need to add is the receiver and antenna. Good topic. Thanks in advance.

Scott.

·
Registered
96 Posts
QUOTE(rerun @ Mar 29 2004, 12:59 PM)I also use the Delphi boombox system. It was the only one to have a handphone jack...which is req'd at my work.
You can plug the head phones into any of the skifi cradles and then just use the line out level to adust the volume. The only problem with that is you have to naviagte through the menus before you can change the volume. The boom box is a better choice to use at work though. Less wires hanging around.

Buoys will be Buoys:
I have had mine out on the lake and the reception is fine. It is a digital signal so it is either all or nothing.
It is probably a stronger signal on the water cause there is nothing around to interfer with it.
You may want to consider a unit such as the skifi or roady instead of adding the sony xm tuner to your head unit in you boat. I can't speak for sony, but I am pretty sure that it is much harder to navigate through the station and there are less characters available to show artist names and song titles. Plus with one of the other units, you could use it in your car and home too. A lot of times they are cheaper than the tuners that go with the "xm ready" head units also.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I also have XM Radio. I didn't really have a choice, it's built into the radio in my car. I was only going to keep the free 3 months and then cancel, but I liked it too much. There are a LOT of channels, although not all of them are good, and they continue to add more. Some of my favorite channels are:

8: 80's
9: 90's
144: NASCAR
151: Adult Comedy
216: Detroit aread weather and traffic

There are a bunch of others, I'm sure you'd find some you like. I don't have any experience with Sirius, so I really can't compare between the two.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(rerun @ Mar 31 2004, 12:34 PM)Lets not forget the new "America Left" station (167)

Cuz NPR just dosen't cover enough cities.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts