Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Got on the water with the wife about 7:10 pm. Only 4 trailers at Crocker when we launched. Counted about 11 logs from 3' to 6' floating out in the water right in front of the ramps to about 500 yards out in that area.
Water was like chocolate milk from South of launch to Metro beach about 1/2 of a mile out. Water was murky from Huron pointe to South of the 400 club 3/4 to almost a mile out. Lot of weeds in this area floating too.

Found clear conditions farther out in 11 feet of water where you could see the weeds below. Came across some good weeds out there straight out from the launch, and South towards 400 club. Moved around this whole area. Casted for about 35 minutes after getting in to position, and around 8 pm my wife yells shes got one. She was casting the Bummers Bee with chartruse blade. I immediately ditch my rod and make way for the net! She said it was pulling hard and she could feel it jerking the line hard too. I'm figuring 40" plus! Her rod was getting some decent bending action. Had her keep the rod tip low as she kept reeling. I was waiting for the drag to start peeling out at any minute. Finally saw something break surface about 25' back behind the boat and thought this would be it, she has her first Muskie. I think my heart started racing like hers was now. She reeled a bit more and like something out of the movies, this fish launches out of the water about 10' back and must have had two feet between the water surface and it! Too bad it ended up being about a 3.5 lb. Smallie. Got it netted and got her pic with her first Small Mouth this year. Now she was pumped up and ready for more action.

About 10-15 minutes later I was reeling in and had a follow by a Muskie that was about a 36-40" fish. I was reeling in and noticed it as I was getting near the boat. I sped up and as I got right on the side at the middle of the boat, the sucker sped up and I thought $hit, he's gonna nail me here, yesssss! He blows by me and went for my wifes lure that was coming in at the rear of the boat on the same side. Just as she sees the fish she says holy $hit, those are in here? Guess she thinks the pics were fake? LOL! I told her to keep her rod tip down and do circles with her lure. I casted out and reeled in figuring when the fish decides to blow her off I would be ready.
She continued to try and entice the fish, while yelling he went this way, then it was he went that way, then it was he went under the boat, then it was he's back, all in about 30 seconds. I casted again towards the back of the boat while she was still swishing her Bucktail in the water while saying, where did he go??? She kept her lure in the water and went from one side of the boat around the back of the boat to the other side, and then back to the side she started on again. I reeled my lure in past the back of the boat and said, "it's been over a minute now, he's gone, now get your lure out of the water and start casting. She was hesitant and said awe, I wanted that one. I said he's history after all that stuff you just did back there most likely got spooked. She had me laughing at the way she was going after that fish, she looked like a kid at the indoor Trout ponds. She was pretty happy seeing what just happened. Well as she pulled her lure out of the water at the back of the boat, and just got it out of the water, I hear a scream and just as I turned around here is this Muskie hitting her lure just as it came out of the water. The fish came out about a foot or so,and as my jaw dropped in awe, the fish hit the water and almost pulled the rod out of her hands as she let out a, Oh my god, oh my god, "Oh, I'm scared!". As it hit the water and gave a few body thrashes, it spit the hook and was gone.

She was like it almost came into the boat after my lure, does that always happen? I told her first time I've seen that kind of stuff happen! Next was the words I knew were coming,"I knew I should have kept my lure in the water, I told you!!!! Opps! My bad honey!
< My wife made me put theses here

After a few minutes and coming down off that adrenaline rush, we got back to casting. We moved after no action for about ten minutes. We went back out to deeper water and after about ten minutes of casting she yells I got one, he's following my lure! I look to the side and see one right behind her lure about 18". She starts to do circles and just as I'm reeling in, my lure gets to the side of the boat and the fish leaves hers and did a circle around mine and shoots off and down into the depths. My wife asked me what to do, and I said after I screwed you up the first time, you do what you want
. She did some cirles and fancy moves from side to side, but no luck.

About 10 minutes later, I cast and start reeling, and it feels like weeds. I had already caught and reeled in a few five gallon sized weed patches, and this felt just like it. I kept reeling to be sure, feeling for a tug or shake, but unfortunately nothing. As I get it towards the boat, the sun was setting and was right on the water, and was peeking out one of the few times it did yesterday evening and blinding me. As I got the clump that looked like weeds about 50 feet from the boat, it turned out to be a log, then no, weeds, no a log, then weeds, then the flip flop splash splash splash and a few jerks and a spit, and my fricken 40 to 45" weed log took off. Son of a B---h!!!!
All I could figure is that with the light wind pushing us towards shore, that the fish had to be swimming towards us, and the combination kept me from really getting any tightness in the line before that, and fooled me. It also had to hit that lure within a second of hitting the water, or I threw it into it's mouth, because the second I started reeling, there was no feel except the subtle feel you get when pulling weeds, and that's what it felt like while I was reeling, and I even gave a few jerks to try and lose the "weeds", and had absolutely no resistance. Everything worked out in favor of that fish. At least I got an, awe, that's too bad from my wife, does that happen a lot? I said no, I try not to do that too often dear
Moved back out again.

I had one more follow about ten minutes later by a fish around 25-30", and one more follow about ten minutes after that, it was about a 30" that followed right next to the boat, but it was getting dark enough that you could barely see them except right at the side, could have been the same fish?
After all of that, it was nothing from about 9:25 till 10:05 pm when the "Gnat Attack" started and we called it a night. Was surprised at how much activity we got in the hour and a half time frame. Wife was happy to have hooked up with the one for the few seconds she did, and to see all the fish, and getting her Bass. She's already making plans for the evening fishing the next few weeks, a new Muskie fisherwoman has been created

Figure with the lack of boats out there, we only saw two travel across the water about a half mile away from us, lack of boating pressure during the day, overcast all day long, and mostly cloudy evening all came together for making a perfect evening to get out and go after the fish. Winds were perfect also. Hottest hour or so on the water in years!
Water temp was 75 F.
Hot Lure was the Brunner Bee Bucktail
Tight Lines and good luck!

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Wow that was great story. It kept me glued the whole time. It sounds like she'll be a lifer now.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(propwash @ Aug 9 2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Got on the water with the wife about 7:10 pm. Only 4 trailers at Crocker when we launched. Counted about 11 logs from 3' to 6' floating out in the water right in front of the ramps to about 500 yards out in that area.
Water was like chocolate milk from South of launch to Metro beach about 1/2 of a mile out. Water was murky from Huron pointe to South of the 400 club 3/4 to almost a mile out. Lot of weeds in this area floating too.

Found clear conditions farther out in 11 feet of water where you could see the weeds below. Came across some good weeds out there straight out from the launch, and South towards 400 club. Moved around this whole area. Casted for about 35 minutes after getting in to position, and around 8 pm my wife yells shes got one. She was casting the Bummers Bee with chartruse blade. I immediately ditch my rod and make way for the net! She said it was pulling hard and she could feel it jerking the line hard too. I'm figuring 40" plus! Her rod was getting some decent bending action. Had her keep the rod tip low as she kept reeling. I was waiting for the drag to start peeling out at any minute. Finally saw something break surface about 25' back behind the boat and thought this would be it, she has her first Muskie. I think my heart started racing like hers was now. She reeled a bit more and like something out of the movies, this fish launches out of the water about 10' back and must have had two feet between the water surface and it! Too bad it ended up being about a 3.5 lb. Smallie. Got it netted and got her pic with her first Small Mouth this year. Now she was pumped up and ready for more action.

About 10-15 minutes later I was reeling in and had a follow by a Muskie that was about a 36-40" fish. I was reeling in and noticed it as I was getting near the boat. I sped up and as I got right on the side at the middle of the boat, the sucker sped up and I thought $hit, he's gonna nail me here, yesssss! He blows by me and went for my wifes lure that was coming in at the rear of the boat on the same side. Just as she sees the fish she says holy $hit, those are in here? Guess she thinks the pics were fake? LOL! I told her to keep her rod tip down and do circles with her lure. I casted out and reeled in figuring when the fish decides to blow her off I would be ready.
She continued to try and entice the fish, while yelling he went this way, then it was he went that way, then it was he went under the boat, then it was he's back, all in about 30 seconds. I casted again towards the back of the boat while she was still swishing her Bucktail in the water while saying, where did he go??? She kept her lure in the water and went from one side of the boat around the back of the boat to the other side, and then back to the side she started on again. I reeled my lure in past the back of the boat and said, "it's been over a minute now, he's gone, now get your lure out of the water and start casting. She was hesitant and said awe, I wanted that one. I said he's history after all that stuff you just did back there most likely got spooked. She had me laughing at the way she was going after that fish, she looked like a kid at the indoor Trout ponds. She was pretty happy seeing what just happened. Well as she pulled her lure out of the water at the back of the boat, and just got it out of the water, I hear a scream and just as I turned around here is this Muskie hitting her lure just as it came out of the water. The fish came out about a foot or so,and as my jaw dropped in awe, the fish hit the water and almost pulled the rod out of her hands as she let out a, Oh my god, oh my god, "Oh, I'm scared!". As it hit the water and gave a few body thrashes, it spit the hook and was gone.

She was like it almost came into the boat after my lure, does that always happen? I told her first time I've seen that kind of stuff happen! Next was the words I knew were coming,"I knew I should have kept my lure in the water, I told you!!!! Opps! My bad honey!

After a few minutes and coming down off that adrenaline rush, we got back to casting. We moved after no action for about ten minutes. We went back out to deeper water and after about ten minutes of casting she yells I got one, he's following my lure! I look to the side and see one right behind her lure about 18". She starts to do circles and just as I'm reeling in, my lure gets to the side of the boat and the fish leaves hers and did a circle around mine and shoots off and down into the depths. My wife asked me what to do, and I said after I screwed you up the first time, you do what you want

About 10 minutes later, I cast and start reeling, and it feels like weeds. I had already caught and reeled in a few five gallon sized weed patches, and this felt just like it. I kept reeling to be sure, feeling for a tug or shake, but unfortunately nothing. As I get it towards the boat, the sun was setting and was right on the water, and was peeking out one of the few times it did yesterday evening and blinding me. As I got the clump that looked like weeds about 50 feet from the boat, it turned out to be a log, then no, weeds, no a log, then weeds, then the flip flop splash splash splash and a few jerks and a spit, and my fricken 40 to 45" weed log took off. Son of a B---h!!!!
All I could figure is that with the light wind pushing us towards shore, that the fish had to be swimming towards us, and the combination kept me from really getting any tightness in the line before that, and fooled me. It also had to hit that lure within a second of hitting the water, or I threw it into it's mouth, because the second I started reeling, there was no feel except the subtle feel you get when pulling weeds, and that's what it felt like while I was reeling, and I even gave a few jerks to try and lose the "weeds", and had absolutely no resistance. Everything worked out in favor of that fish. At least I got an, awe, that's too bad from my wife, does that happen a lot? I said no, I try not to do that too often dear
Moved back out again.

I had one more follow about ten minutes later by a fish around 25-30", and one more follow about ten minutes after that, it was about a 30" that followed right next to the boat, but it was getting dark enough that you could barely see them except right at the side, could have been the same fish?
After all of that, it was nothing from about 9:25 till 10:05 pm when the "Gnat Attack" started and we called it a night. Was surprised at how much activity we got in the hour and a half time frame. Wife was happy to have hooked up with the one for the few seconds she did, and to see all the fish, and getting her Bass. She's already making plans for the evening fishing the next few weeks, a new Muskie fisherwoman has been created

Figure with the lack of boats out there, we only saw two travel across the water about a half mile away from us, lack of boating pressure during the day, overcast all day long, and mostly cloudy evening all came together for making a perfect evening to get out and go after the fish. Winds were perfect also. Hottest hour or so on the water in years!
Water temp was 75 F.

even when we catch em my girlfriend asks if we caught enough yet, be glad shes happy with follows. you and your wife have canadian licenses ?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(troller11 @ Aug 9 2009, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(propwash @ Aug 9 2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Got on the water with the wife about 7:10 pm. Only 4 trailers at Crocker when we launched. Counted about 11 logs from 3' to 6' floating out in the water right in front of the ramps to about 500 yards out in that area.

Moved back out again.

Water temp was 75 F.

even when we catch em my girlfriend asks if we caught enough yet, be glad shes happy with follows. you and your wife have canadian licenses ?

Hi Troller,
Not yet. I have been wanting to get in some Canadian water though. I have a friend That goes straight out from 9 mile rd. to a certain spot in Canadian waters and trolled for them until he moved out of state last year. He caught them from the end of August to the beginning of October in that area for years. I have been thinking about giving it a try, but they troll that area. I don't know if casting would be productive out there. I got the cords and know what they use, just didn't set up for trolling yet, and kick myself for not going out with him when he offered. Wasn't into Muskie yet.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
that a girl get them muskies!!
What an entertaining story prop lol

lot's of good lessons in this story as well

one of these days I'm going to perform a figure 8 or O - for the whole time. I bet I get a fish or 2 lol. Longest I've seen is 3 minutes my Pete Maina. He got the fish too..

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey everyone,
Thanks for the replies. My wife is happy as a girl at an avon show with her first real report. I think I am in trouble now!

Thanks for the words of encouragement for her!

Propwash and ?????, Muskie Additction? Next she will want her own name.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Great story.............A lot better than, had 2 on, 4 follows 12' of in front of 400 club. Really makes U want to get out there and start casting, because U know one of these days there not going tp get off. GOOD LUCK on the skis in the future.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
That's how it's done! I was lol'ing the entire time through. Incredible story. Seems like after hearing of my first fish, and seeing mine, she seemed interested more. Now I think you created the perfect blend.
It really does get your heart racing, and adrenaline flowing like nothing else. Seeing that first monster jump out of the water, or feeling a freight train absolutely HAMMER your lure, or finally landing that first big one in the boat as I recently did this past week with you.
Now we need a triple-header in the boat buddy!
Congrats to both of you regardless of how many you caught, and glad you both had a great time on the water. Doesn't get any better than that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.