Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went Saturday trolling/casting musky started out of Deckers and fished our way to Selfridge, not a hit, 1 follow. Took a friend who thought I,"had it down," since my last trip produced 12 musky, I gave him no misconceptions, or images of grandeur he just wanted to rattle my cage. Tried bucktails, spinnerbaits, ciscoes, rapalas, and so on and so forth with no luck. Friend finally caught a whopping 15 in bass off of a bucktail but that was it. To top it off I forget sunblock and of course I have never seen a lobster quite the color red that I am, head pounding, nauseas, we left the lake defeated and humbled, but still better than work. Just wanted to add I checked NOAA for altimeter readings for Saturday and found that barometric pressure was rising the whole day until approx. 4pm, the day the gods smiled on me barometric pressure was steady to falling, possibly a coincidence but I am starting a history from NOAA of all trips to see what if any relation there is to barometer and fishing. Good luck to all........and I guess I am a musky fisherman due to the fact I still want to fish them after this debacle... on the lake at 5am, off the lake at 3ish pm Musky 0..but I still learned a lot.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Welcome to the world of musky fishing!

I must admit to being a bit skeptical about your previous report (what with no pics and such)... until I fished what was probably the same general area last Monday and also had mad action myself (thanks for the tip, BTW)... but then nothing on Friday, as far as muskies go.

I think it just got too warm and the fish moved well away. It's a very big lake, so once they move from one location to another it can be bloody hard to find them. For all I know the same fish we encountered the previous outings could literally be miles away.

What you're describing looks a lot like sun poisoning. Could get skin cancer that way. That's why I not only use sunblock (18 SPF is fine -- keep some in my main tackle bag, in fact), but even on the hottest days wear a long sleeve shirt, long pants, and a cap, so only my face, hands, and a bit of my neck are exposed, all sunscreened to the max.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Jun 29 2009, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome to the world of musky fishing!

I must admit to being a bit skeptical about your previous report (what with no pics and such)... until I fished what was probably the same general area last Monday and also had mad action myself (thanks for the tip, BTW)... but then nothing on Friday, as far as muskies go.

I think it just got too warm and the fish moved well away. It's a very big lake, so once they move from one location to another it can be bloody hard to find them. For all I know the same fish we encountered the previous outings could literally be miles away.

What you're describing looks a lot like sun poisoning. Could get skin cancer that way. That's why I not only use sunblock (18 SPF is fine -- keep some in my main tackle bag, in fact), but even on the hottest days wear a long sleeve shirt, long pants, and a cap, so only my face, hands, and a bit of my neck are exposed, all sunscreened to the max.

My buddy was skeptical also! Now he just thinks I am F O S!!! But he asks every day when we are going so with my past record of ,"minor", fish tales and complete dedication/addiction to fishing I am pretty sure he thinks chances are good I was'nt dreaming he just is'nt going to cut me any slack, plus I used to golf with a few guys from work but now all my free time is spent on fishing. I feel the heat from this now and again but I got a 17 month baby girl and normal day to day BS so I dont get a lot of free time, and I would much rather spend it chasing fish on the water than chasing golf balls in the woods," if I ever tell a story about shooting under 100 on any course you can accurately describe from then on as FULL OF [email protected]$!. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.