Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went from Algonac, down the Middle Channel, with the hopes of going to Metro to meet the peeps. HOWEVER....

Once we got to the end of the Middle Channel and it opened up into the lake; holy sh*t! The fog/haze (at 4:00pm!!!!!!) was so thick we couldn't even find the first set of bouys! Since we have NO GPS, I used my keen knowledge of charts and course plotting, and somehow found the first, then second, and so on set of bouys throughout the Middle Channel. Once we got to the last set of bouys I looked for land and could NOT see anything! It was like we were at the end of the Earth. Since I couldn't see metro and couldn't risk ending up in the sand South of Metro, I decided to head for the Clinton River. I set my course heading and went like hell until FINALLY we could spot land, and found the Clinton River. We ended up in the River and figured on dinner somewhere up there. I heard Mad Max calling on 69 from Gull, but he faded out quickly. As I was talking to him, I heard from Mr. Big, who was at Metro with a whole sh*tload of peeps. We chatted, and Ihad hoped to get down that way, but time was not on our side.

We tried to go to Bumpers and Crews Inn, but there were no slips. We ended up heading back into the lake and up to the North Channel, where I hailed some peeps, heard CBJ chatting with someone but never got any good reception there, and ended up tying her up for the night. We left her at the seawall at our home port and headed back to SCS for a party.

Boring? Yes, but thought I'd share it with the peeps, since this was our first real cruising day this year. TOMORROW will be different, though! ALL DAY on the boat!

Anyhoo, share your stories of this weekend's adventures on the lake. Where did you go, what did you do, what peeps did you run into?????

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I fished from 6am till 6:30pm. Was all over the lake from the mouth of the river to Anchor Bay. I did stay away from Metro and the Clinton after the fog lifted (ok kinda lifted) because of boat traffic.

Had a good day with the weather other than the fog. Took away alot of fishing time idling around.

Campari PLEASE dont tell me you were on plane in that fog today. This morning (until about noon) there were times when visibilty was less than 100 feet. We almost got run over by people pushing it too fast in unsafe conditions.

As far as GPS.....you have HOW many CDS? Should have taken those CDS to a reseller and sold them, THEN gone to Boat US or Bass Pro Shops to get a handheld GPS. Less than 200 bux and you can have added safety. IF you were to have a medical emergency in that fog, how would you tell the CG where you were without accurate coordinates. We are talking the difference between life and death here in regards to response time. Check the For Sale section, a nice used handheld for 80 bux....Click to see ad.

BTW saw two boats run aground just north of the middle channel. Looks as if the cut the corner too tight when heading downstram and got out of the bouys. One was at about 9am and the other around 5pm. Michigan Marine Salvage was busy today.....

I hope EVERYONE had a great day on the pond and played it safe in the fog. I think I should have used more sunscreen....lol Oh well I will tomorrow.

BTW where is Cap'n Rob? I cant wait to read about the trip back from Hoiles on Sag Bay....

Mini

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Went the the old mans house in the morning because he had to work Sunday.

Got home around 1:00, started cutting bricks. Finished the patio around 5, then headed over to Metro. Hailed LSCN on channel 69, picked up Beachbum at the floating docks. Parked Abracadabra and had a great time partying with, Beachbum, Hammer, Jennifer, CBJ, The Warden, Fast Eddie, Waterlogged, 3 Crabs, ThreeCrabs, Rerun, Pauligan, Manana, MananaII, XO, Dr. XO, Dailey Intriest (spelling), Mr. Big, P-29, Steve The Bus Driver and his girlie friend, and everyone else! See Y'all at metro on Sunday!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
We left Harsens at 5:15, couldn't see Gull till we were almost on it. The fog/haze was unreal. We had decided a trip to Metro in that mess would not be fun.

Gull was fun. Met Dana & PineMartin. Hung out with Shadow, Convincor, Lady Bug, Madmax (by the way where did you go?) ,Canhadian Girl, Eagle1, EZC, JabberJawz , Tammyand LabDog. MsCin made hobo sandwiches for everyone. Thank you MsCin! They were awesome. Great to see MsCin, Sugar Daddy & the kids again. Dancin Bare had a great time. She is hooked on LSCN now.

The LSCNers had the biggest bonfire. Shadow really knows how to build a fire.. JabberJawz has a gift with fanning a fire. Sugar Daddy's chair was great fuel for the fire.

Left Gull about 11. Beautiful night. Perfectly clear, the full moon coming up, water was as smooth as glass.

Great time.

Spending the day with Dad in Marlette. Hopefully the nice weather is here to stay.

Happy Fathers Day to all the Daddy's!!

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Mini: No way was on plane in that pea soup! I crept through the Middle, trying to find the next set of bouys, VERY slowly. Once into the lake a bit I kept it slow, didn't want to do just what you were talking about, running up on someone anchored or whatever.

I know, I know, I should have sold the CDs for a GPS. Honestly, though I just didn't think about it. I never bought any of the CDs, so it's not like I lost money. Wife gets them free.

We are WELL aware of the fact that we ARE going to invest in a decent GPS THIS YEAR. I don't want to fumble around blindly anymore.

Wiz, I heard you on 69 when you were going into Metro. Also, I saw youcutting bricks, kicking up a huge cloud of white dust. Was gona honk as I went by, but knew you wouldn't hear me.

Anyways, sounds like a LOT of the peeps had a good day! Mini, that's a LOT of fishing bro!

See you peeps hopefully today at Metro (if I can find it in the fog!!!)

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
I need to get to Metro one of these weekends. I was too busy yesterday.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
We left Harsens around 11? Went towards Gull. Got as far as the Green Bouy on the NorthEast side and couldn't see Gull. Decided it wasn't a good time to venture farther so we turned around and went back up the channel to Sans Souci. Then back to the marina. Verified all the lights worked (realized I hadn't since I bought the boat) then headed back out. Made it to Gull this time and pulled in to the sandy SouthWestern side. Got a bit shallow on me so I pulled the anchor and walked back out a little farther. Water is damn cold. Started brushing the bottom and having a close look at the hull. Decided the water was too damn cold. Pulled the boat back into knee deep water. Finished with the hull. Had a walk around the island. Pulled anchor and returned to the marina where I had several cold ones to relieve the hypothermia.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Me and MJ spent the weekend at Gull.had a great time ,I think im sunned out for a week! The fog was bad Friday night .Saw JabberJaws leave south heard him head north and the came back to the island ,said he couldnt see nothing

·
Registered
55 Posts
I too spent the day over at Gull. It wasn't bad navigating if you had GPS, but I can feel for thos that didn't. There was a haze about the island all day. Nice weather though.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Spider @ Jun 15 2003, 07:38 PM)...returned to the marina where I had several cold ones to relieve the hypothermia.

The best cure ever invented for that!

Sound slike I plyed it safe not headin that way Saturday.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
QUOTE(rumpshaker @ Jun 15 2003, 08:38 PM)Me and MJ spent the weekend at Gull.had a great time ,I think im sunned out for a week! The fog was bad Friday night .Saw JabberJaws leave south heard him head north and the came back to the island ,said he couldnt see nothing
Where did you go ? I came around 4:00 pm

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
QUOTE(rumpshaker @ Jun 15 2003, 08:38 PM)Me and MJ spent the weekend at Gull.had a great time ,I think im sunned out for a week! The fog was bad Friday night .Saw JabberJaws leave south heard him head north and the came back to the island ,said he couldnt see nothing
It was a beer not the fog

·
Registered
279 Posts
What a great day, partyed at Gull and stayed the night. I guess we did over do it a little as Sunday morn had a dead battery, some of are fellow islanders gave us a hand with a battery jump. Much thanks to them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts