Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the BFL Saturday ,just a few observations.
1ST. At the pre-tournament meeting the director metioned you had to be back to the bast-off location at the "mouth" of metro and look for the bast-off boat for check-in. He metioned they (BFL) would give us 10 minnutes for idle time to get back to the dock for weight-in. My boater heard the same... as well as others.
The "check-in point" was back by the launch, not out at the "mouth" where we basted -off. There was no check-in "boat" as metioned!!! Myself as well as others were late,thinking the check-in spot was at the mouth,not at the ramp!! Just a word to the wise "check-in" at the SAME LOCATION were you get your morning "bouys" don`t take the chance. I lost 6 lbs. as a non-boater my partner had no fish......(I got the shaft)
2ND. It would be very NICE if the BFL would spend some money on ICE for their holding and release tanks.(AT $5.00 per raffel ticket,to win donated items,they can afford it) I can`t stand it when I see an abundance amount of fish dyeing because of "poor handeling".Their system stinks if you ask me.I watched guys walking around with their catch in a "dry bag" shooting the B.S. with their friends showing them there catch for the day. I bet it took this one person 10 minnutes to bring his "DRY" bag (filled with his limit)back to the bag pick-up line.
It`s bad enough to watch the "BFL" release team "shoot" the live bass back into a dirty crapy location (instead of having a release boat) ,then put the dead fish in another holding tank. I think they could do ALOT better on their fish handeling methods."Someone from the BFL needs to take the fish directly from the scales after weight-in",apparently some fishermen work harder on catching them instead of keeping their catch "ALIVE".
GET THE EGG OFF YOUR FACE "BFL TOURNAMENT SERIES"
It`s not their resources they are trashing. It would be nice to see the D.N.R. at every weight-in for proper fish release methods.
HEY maybe the GOV. will use the cigarette tax money for funding a "MICHIGAN RELEASE BOAT" for ST.CLAIR and the RIVER................na.......... now I know I`m dreamin`.
Just blowing -off some steam and wondering if anyone else noticed the same? "Thanks for letting me share" RK

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Did you write a formal written complaint? I would think you could get that weight added back on if you can prove they said that.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I am not trying to prove anything one way or the other but I fished the tournament as well.
Now this is what I heard.
The tournament director said he wanted us to have 8 hours to fish. That includes all travel time as in other tournaments. He gave us an extra 15 minutes to make the idle back to the check in point where we picked up our bouys. That time was built into the check in time. First flight check in a 3:15 second 3:30 third 3:45 fourth 4:00 and fifth 4:15. The take off was at 7am.
He specifically said to check in at the same place you ran thru boat check.
I agree that at the meeting this could of been confusing but he asked if anyone had any questions while we waited for the matrix to be set due to computer problems.
Some asked questions although I could not hear what they were.

Now to the weigh in.
If you are going to have a trailered weigh in at Metro you need to have more than 30 bags for fish and you need to have more holding tanks. My fish cooked in the boat and almost died. Maybe they died later, I don't know. My co-angler lost one fish out of his five fish limit. All of these fish were healthy upon arrival. I used Please Release me all day and Bass Medics prior to pull-out. Our fish were pumped.

Finally, Metro Beach has got to be the worst place for a large touranment. The idle in is nothing short of rediculous and dangerous I might add.

I think the FLW folks did a fine job of keeping any dead fish out of site. I did not see one floater left out while I was there.

Yes a release boat would be the ticket, but I think they used sound methods that work in normal situations. No different than any other tournaments I fished. I just don't like the fact of releasing fish way back in Metro Beach in warm water.

The answer is to not have the Tournament at Metro Beach.
I asked this question last year of the BFL Tournament Director.
He told me that history has proved that without the Metro St. Clair Opener to the schedule, the rest of the series suffers attendance. They need to open on St. Clair.
I guess in the past they tried Saginaw Bay or some place without success.

I just wish we could do it some place other than Metro Beach. Last year I put in at Harley. I should have done that this year. But with all the slips rented at Metro there is no place to dock while you weigh your fish.

Next year I will bring ice and such for my fish. That is all I can do is take care of what I catch.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If they had 30 bags out, I wouldn't believe it. I waited in line for a bag for more than 30 minutes, and never seen more than 6 pairs of teams waiting at weigh in site. What I did see when I finally got my bag was guys sitting in the parking lot Bull sh$#ing with their buds, wiping down the boat, and storing their rods away WITH WEIGH IN BAGS AT their boat. Get your bag, weigh your fish then do the bs'ing and other stuff that needs to be done.

As for fish care, it starts with us, the anglers, by using the proper water treatment and tools (ice), the fish will survive. These things need to be done through out the day, not just at weigh in time, fish care needs to be done the whole day! I believe BASS has a handbook for teaching anglers on the proper handling methods for holding fish in livewells. Heres the link Keeping Bass Alive

Just my 2 cents

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
RK4, I'm going to have agree with with Madwags on the check-in. He stated a number of times, that check-in would be at the same location as boat check in the morning. Someone even asked a clarifing question on it during the Q&A. The extra 15mins that they gave us was to allow us to idle the channel on top of our 8hrs of fishing time (i.e. 1st flight was due back at checkin at 3:15pm not 3:00pm). We wouldn't need the extra 15mins if the check-in was at the mouth. However I can easily understand how it can be confusing or mis-interpeted. As soon as he said it I made sure I heard him correctly when he repeated it. I even re-asked as I went through boat check in the morning. Each time I heard the same thing. Always make triple sure you know where boat check will be in the morning and afternoon. I'm easily confused. So I always ask and ask again if just to be sure. Ask an official, as some anglers may not know either. Like Madwags, I'm not trying to bash you, but I believe your post is incorrect and don't feel the tournament director should be critized for something that is not true, that is all. He never said boat check would be at the blast off location. I believe you heard him incorrectly.

Regarding the weigh-in, I released my fish before the weigh-in so I did not see it. I'm not going for points and my fish had been through enough. But this is a problem at just about every large tournamet I've seen. Unqualified people running the tanks or organizing the release methods. Or people that simply do not care. Too many times, I've seen exactly what you describe. Someone gets off the stage with there fish in a dry bag and he stops to shoot the bleep with a buddy. I've said this a thousand times in one way or another on here, but until anglers start taking responsibility for their catch we will always have a bad name. To me it's not even about image, but just plain respect for the resource. It's my biggest pet peeve. The only thing I can say to do RK4 is let the tournament director know your displeasure. I have on many occasion. Also, if some is not doing the right thing, step in and help. I'm glad there are people like you out there that feel the same way.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(Dowd @ Jun 27 2004, 03:15 PM)If they had 30 bags out, I wouldn't believe it. I waited in line for a bag for more than 30 minutes, and never seen more than 6 pairs of teams waiting at weigh in site. What I did see when I finally got my bag was guys sitting in the parking lot Bull sh$#ing with their buds, wiping down the boat, and storing their rods away WITH WEIGH IN BAGS AT their boat. Get your bag, weigh your fish then do the bs'ing and other stuff that needs to be done.
I really like the way the B.A.S.S. events handle the weigh-ins. They hand you a bag as you go through boat check. With the flights staggered every 15mins there should be no issue with getting all 30 boats in that flight weighed in and the bags back for the next flight. At Buffalo last year I had a 5 person wait at the scales. And the 2nd day I was boat 100+. The wait for a bag at BFL's and Everstart's is always at least a 1/2 hr or more. The added time it takes to trailor the boat, park, walk to the weigh-in site, walk back the boat, and finally walk back to the weigh-in site slows everything down.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Fished as a co-angler...

Gotta agree with Madwags, He asked for any questions and said it twice that you have to check in where you get your float. Plus, they wanted to do it that way because next tourney (July 10) they will probably be using the electronic chip system for checking in.

Quickest way to get back is take the canal shortcut just north of the main channel. Take 6 minutes instead of 15-30 minutes. HOWEVER, if you take the wrong one your screwed. We took the right one but it cost my boater a regional trip 2 years ago when he took the wrong one.

I agree with you guys about fish handling, there is no reason they can't be at Elizabeth Park instead of Metro.

I fished with a great Boater, Charles Lowery. Great guy and a good time, but it wasn't my day. Seemed like everybody was catching them but me. My boater after he had his limit around 1:00pm, took me to couple spots and gave me first casts in trying to get me one fish for points. Really bums me out that I get a cool draw and can't capitalize. Oh well, back at in 2 weeks

Freind of mine cashed a good check after taking a nice boat ride with David Reault.

Ckev

·
Registered
424 Posts
I agree in the fish handling was poor I had 9-1/2 lbs no prize but why put them fish through so much stress I released instead waiting for a bag in that long line. We all agree that is not the place to have a tournament with all the boats. Just glad the water temp was not 80 degrees that bay would smell bad in a day or too. Took in $42,750 with Pro/Am's entry fees and no water to drink when you get back, and you know the sponsors donate to each tournament so what's is a 50 cent bottle of water.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I personally understood the directions perfectly clear, I do however understand how it could be confusing. I think the director did the best job he could in making it clear. A good friend of mine was late thinking the same as a lot of other people. He actually was there on time and dick dogged around and ended up 2 minutes late. weighed 14.0 and the 2 puonds cost him $375. I thought the weigh-in went as good as possible for a tournament of that size. The only change I would have made is launching. The 5th flight doesnt need to launch there boat 1st. They should have been told to arrive a little later. I was boat 19 arrived at 5:45 and was 150 trailers deep. my good take-off didnt do any good leaving boat 138

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the posts, I re-read my notes on my flight card and I did see ,I had noted the check-in site and added the fifteen minutes.I should of pulled it out of my wallett and checked it again durning the tournament for referance. I stand corrected...........thanks......... RK
I must just enjoy loosing 6 lbs.I guess.........I`ll get it back on the river..........RIGHT .........!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
LOL!

You will if you draw me.

I have a knack for putting co-anglers on fish and them getting a check.

This last tournament was my 4th or 5th co-angler to get paid. Why do I keep getting outfished by my partner?

I lost my 5th fish twice and then boated a nice walleye.
I was so upset I kept the darn thing and I am going to eat it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey guys...

On the concern about releasing the fish...

Yeah, that bay might not be the best place to release fish...I agree...but the care that those fish were given was second to none. I was there. I was the guy takin bags and putting the fish in the tank. I dont know if yall remember me, I was wearing a white Yamaha t-shirt and some shorts. Out of more than 1000 fish that were weighed in that day, less than 30 died. And the ones that died were dead even before they got to the release tank. We managed to revive many of the fish that were borderline and we made sure they were alive and kickin before we release them. If by any chance we release them and they float, we'll bring them back and to let them get better. We put Rejuvenade in the tank every few minutes and we had water constantly circulating into the tank.

I thought we did a great job of releasing fish. Like I said there were less than 30 dead...and they were dead long before they got to us (many of them had tubes in there throats). And after looking out into the bay, I did not see one floater.

It also ticked me off seeing guys standing there shooting the bull with there buddies with fish in dry bags. Thats ridiculous...

Thats my 2 cents, I was there doing the work...

Jose

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Good Job GARZA,I do remember you,you and the gal were doing your part to keep the fish unstressed when they were FINALLY brought to you. I did see you working on some fish.I did not see any ICE in the tanks?
QUESTION for you;? are you working all the tournaments? If you are could you PLEASE stand next to the scales to bring them to the release tanks? that would solve alot of waiting for bags and fish stress.
If you need help,I`ll look for you and ask.I dont mine helping.
MADWAGS, If I draw ya in a tournamet dont worry LOL I always pay for the gas,and if we don`t find fish HEY what the hect.........we`ll go for lunch LOL
.I drew a great Partner,he was`nt on fish and ask ME where to go(yea he was from Ohio,but all the same a nice guy.......)I never got back seated at all,I did kinda miss him NOT bringing a next,I would of had a limit.........It was still a good time.See you at Elizabeth Park,Good Luck

·
Registered
175 Posts
I dont work all the tournaments. I was actually fishing and was gonna stay for the weigh-in. Last year though, I stuck around for an Everstart and was really disappointed with all the dead fish. As I was walkin by I talked to the woman and asked if I could help because I didnt want that to happen on this occassion.

On the ice issue, the water was actually pretty cool to begin with. Towards the end for some reason it started to get warmer. I dont know why, we were pumpin from the same place the whole time. So we dumped a couple bags of ice in.

The idea of someone transporting the fish to the release station is a great idea...

Jose

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Nice job garza. Thanks for helping out!

·
Registered
882 Posts
RK4BASSIN;
How did you know my co-angler stiffed me for gas. You know him? Can you imagine that? The guy gets a good limit and a check and does not even offer gas money.
Wait till the next tournament. I am going to tell the angler he draws not to count on gas money and I'll do it right in front of him. LOL!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL MADWAGS,I did`nt know ya got shafted for the $$$$$. My boater ran north then back to the mile roads,he was a good draw,I felt sorry 4 him not catchin anything I give him $40.00. Only because the day before the tournament his starter went out, and after the meeting he was going to pick up his boat after repairs.I guess I felt sorry for him.........

·
Registered
307 Posts
Got shafted to by my co angler. This will not happened again, I will make sure of it. Burn over $80 in gas and not get a dime for fuel. Leaves a bad feeling towards that person.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Damn!!! rk4bassn hopefully I will draw you at the Detroit River, you're a pretty good tipper. I wouldn't take any money from my co because I felt bad that he only had 2 fish and I cashed a check. I wasn't front ending him either. After about 11:00, I was giving him first shot at everything. It wasn't that he didn't know what he was doing either, he was a fairly good fisherman. I actually had him last year during the super tournament. Ohe well, I guess some days you get them and some days you don't. That's why it's called fishing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts