Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
well, me and a couple of buddies are planning on getting a boat from Jimmy's on saturday. My first time on a boat on st clair. Can anyone give me some tips on where to go? North channel, south channel etc, that does nothing for me, I dont have a map of the lake and have no clue where that is. So if you can point me in the general direction coming out of Jimmy's, that would be great. I do know where selfridge is though!. Also, what's biting out there? I want to try for a ski, or some cats, never caught a walleye or a smallie though. Any tips would be appreciated. THANKS GUYS (and girls)

UPDATE!!! BOAT HAS BEEN RESERVED!!! Weather seems fairly decent saturday, high 60's little windy. Hopefully the lake will be quieter than usual. WILL PROVIDE REPORT UPON RETURN!!! Thanks to all that have pitched in with tips.

·
Registered
528 Posts
How big is this boat you rented? That could determine alot. Also, not sure how much it was, but I would have recommended maybe sprining just a little more and getting a guide with the boat? Of course, I dont know your budget or situation, just a suggestion.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Unless you're renting the pontoon the channels might be out of reach, especially on a weekend with a lot of boat traffic.

Try this link for a map:

http://www.marinecruiser.com/chart.html

L'anse Cruese Bay is close to where you come out from Jimmy and might not be a bad area to start out.
The weed beds in the bay between Metro and the Clinton river is another good spot that's fairly close as well.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to your report.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Jul 15 2009, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How big is this boat you rented? That could determine alot. Also, not sure how much it was, but I would have recommended maybe sprining just a little more and getting a guide with the boat? Of course, I dont know your budget or situation, just a suggestion.

well, I plan on getting one of the 14 footers they have. I guess just enough to get from point a to b. What's a guide run for these days?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 15 2009, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Unless you're renting the pontoon the channels might be out of reach, especially on a weekend with a lot of boat traffic.

Try this link for a map:

http://www.marinecruiser.com/chart.html

L'anse Cruese Bay is close to where you come out from Jimmy and might not be a bad area to start out.
The weed beds in the bay between Metro and the Clinton river is another good spot that's fairly close as well.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to your report.

awesome, thanks, will report on different post.

·
Registered
528 Posts
14 ft is on the small side and leaves out most any option that involves crossing the open lake. No clue what a guide would cost, but I would imagine it wouldnt be more than $400-600 for you and your buddies for a day on a nice boat.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I wouldn't venture too far in those 14' boats. There's plenty of fish to be caught between Huron Point (North of Jimmy's) & the 400 Club Apts. (south of Jimmy's). Watch out for the Tuna boats because most of them don't look out for you.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
There was just a report on here about someone trolling south of metro and catching a couple musky. In a 14 ft. boat with 3 guys (im assuming) I wouldnt go far. I personnaly dont think U have to go far to catch some nice fish. Ive been fishing between selfridge and brandonburg and have a good amount of nice fish. U have been posting on here for awhile, U might want to do a post for an open seat wanted (pay for gas or lunch) most guys wouldnt mind good company. That way U have an idea what your up against when U and your buddies do rent a boat. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
528 Posts
My pricing was simply going on what I remembered from the trade shows at Bass Pro Shops when I worked there back in the day. Boat, guide, lunch, 8hrs of fishing, etc. Never really researched it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts