Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
This is a scary story and illustrates the reason that larger boats need to be aware of their wakes around smaller fishing or recreational boats...It may seem funny to some to rock the little boat but the risk is pretty high that someone could get hurt.....Imagine if he would have had his kids aboard like alot of smaller boats do out on LSC..

click here

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
I don't know anyone who thinks it's funny to rock smaller boats. Doing what that guy did is criminal, or should be!

While I do feel sorry for someone when something like that happens, and it is difficult or impossible to avoid being targeted like that by a butt orifice, a boater does have to choose his boat and situation as carefully as possible. I see boats out all the time I would never feel comfortable with.

What a scary experience!!!

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(itstyme2change @ Jul 14 2009, 07:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>site blocked for 'dating/relationships'

The first post in a thread...

QUOTEI had an accident this weekend and feel like I should pass it along to "the family". It is a great example of why you should keep your life vest on at ALL times. I'm an excellent swimmer but, after what happened to me this weekend, I will never take my life vest off while on the water. There are so many things that can happen to you that you may have never thought about.

I haven't ordered my BassCat yet so this weekend I took my 15' GlasStream out to catch some smallmouth. We had caught 30+ pounds of smallmouth on Thursday and Friday night so we headed back out on Saturday to catch a few more. I fish open water structure and have always had a problem with folks messing with me in my little boat but nothing serious has ever happened. Saturday night around dusk, I had the usual jerk pass me in his Bayliner while I was fishing. As usual, he rocked the heck out of my little boat. I just shook it off and continued my fishing.

However, this jerk was different. After passing me, he decided to come back for another pass. This time, he circled my boat within casting distance while yelling in a sarcastic voice, "sorry 'bout the wake!". I had about 5 seconds to react so I turned the boat in order to prevent the large wakes from hitting the side and capsizing the boat. The wake approached the front of the boat and all I can remember is the wake coming over the front of the boat and hitting my legs. The next thing I remember is being pulled into the boat by my passenger.

According to my passenger, the wake took the entire front end of the boat under water and when the boat came back up, it launched me into the air. He said that my legs were thrown over my head and that I went head first into the top rail. At that point, the second wake covered the front of the boat, the bow sank again and my passenger saw me go under the boat. In short, I ended up in the water, under the boat, and unconscious in just a few seconds. I HAD NO TIME TO REACT!

That said, our first intent was to chase them down and well, ya know. But you can't catch Bayliners with a 40hp Yamaha! I refused to let these jerks run me off my fish so I fished the next six hours in soaking wet clothes (the dry ones in the lockers were soaked) and a sore head.

In the end, I thank God for watching over me and I'm thankful that my 9-yr old and 5-yr old sons were not with me. It's rare that I fish without my boys and I know this accident would have scared them away from fishing forever. Or worse...

I'm lucky to be alive after being trapped unconscious under a boat in 40+ feet of water. I never take my vest off while fishing but I had gotten hot and taken it off a couple of minutes to cool down before the accident. That said, I feel like it is my responsibility to pass this along to anyone who may fish without their life vest (even for a second).

Thanks for taking time to read this. You guys take care and PLEASE WEAR YOUR LIFE VESTS ... EVEN WHILE FISHING!

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I hope to God he got some mc numbers or something to identify this person...It amazes me the things people will do to others....Thankfully he had someone else on board to save him.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
I have a rule when on my SeaRay fishing...

If a boater comes way to close and on purpose wants to cause havic and be a smart a$$.... I have a few very heavy sinkers sitting in the top of my tackle box that I will happly throw at their beautiful boat if they want to play rough..

I have done it before and lander a great hit to boot. It's their call not mine....

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(The Perfect Fit @ Jul 14 2009, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a rule when on my SeaRay fishing...

If a boater comes way to close and on purpose wants to cause havic and be a smart a$$.... I have a few very heavy sinkers sitting in the top of my tackle box that I will happly throw at their beautiful boat if they want to play rough..

I have done it before and lander a great hit to boot. It's their call not mine....

Perhaps you should rename her The Perfect Throw.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Do boaters really do crap like that to other boaters? I'm stunned! I just chalked it up to ignorance before reading this, but to come back and say, "sorry about the wake"... that's borderline criminal.

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
I was in a really good mood, but after reading this story, I'm seriously pissed!

WHY does there have to be so many inconsiderate idiots out there...why would you intentionally want to try and hurt someone? I just don't get it.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Jul 14 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do boaters really do crap like that to other boaters? I'm stunned! I just chalked it up to ignorance before reading this, but to come back and say, "sorry about the wake"... that's borderline criminal.

Yes it happens all the time. I was "buzzed" by a fool in a boat Friday. A$$wipe came within 30 feet of ME. Even closer to the boat......

Also read a post that there was chatter on the VHF about guys bragging about rocking fishing boats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts