Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you're pre-fishing, or trying to develop a pattern (especially on water you're not familiar with), what baits do you normally start the day with? I typically have rods rigged with the following: Spinnerbait, jig, deep crank (10+), Mid crank,(3- 10ft) shallow crank (minus1), tube, senko, some sort of topwater and finally a jerk bait. I'll change it up some depending on the conditions, but 9 out of 10 times you can find these baits on a rod in my boat. What baits do you start the day throwing when you're looking for a bite?

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
A one ounce Brass Red Eye

·
Registered
188 Posts
I really like a 1/4 or 1/2 oz rattletraps and 3/8 or 1/2 oz spinnerbait in the morning for scouting. I like heavy jigs, deep cranks and carolina rigs for finding or figuring out bottom structure.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
For search and destroy, I usually start the day with Good ole Mepps #5 aglias and I can`t wait to start.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Early in the spring with cooler water temps I'll usually throw a suspending jerkbait or slow roll a spinner bait.

When things warm up a bit I'll still throw a jerkbait, burn a spinner bait or throw a fat free fingerling. Early in the morning I really enjoy a spook but it can be frustrating with the big blow-ups and low hook-up percentage.

Oh Man, this warmer weather and rain is givin me a fishin jones that just won't quit!!!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
OK Time to throw out SECRET WEAPONS. I'm getting older so what the heck. Everybody has there own way for sure, but if you want to find fish here's how. And it works for me day in and day out. I know this works. ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!

1. Lite line 4lb. test fireline or other 4lb.
2. 1/8 oz. plain jig, barb pinched, hook bent out a bit.
3. Marry it with a berkley 3in. power grub. (pearl/white).or the new berkley Gulp. ( pearl/white).
4. Send that baby 100 + feet, keep rod tip up and work it as slow as possible. Than slow, slower, now slowest you can to keep it off the bottom. Giving tiny pops along the way. As it gets to the boat let it fall all the way to almost the bottom you'll get the feel.
5. Just before it hits the water on the cast click the reel to get the slack out.
6. Tie the jig direct.

h2o<--- just one secret weapon at a time i have more.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I usually have a Terminator tied on. Spinnerbaits are great search baits. Also a rat-l-trap. I also like to have a Fluke or somethin similar tied on. Once I catch some fish...I slow down and evaluate what was goin on. Where was the fish caught, and characteristics? And then fine tune your approach and slow down.

Jose

1 - 7 of 7 Posts