Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me............. I live on the Clinton River and I need help getting a sea kayak in and out of the water. Our sea wall is about four feet higher than the water level. Possibly interested in floating docks???? don't want to spend a lot of money, looking for a quick and easy solution.
Please let me know your thoughts..........thanks! Renee

·
Registered
30 Posts
QUOTE(rtill @ Jun 21 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Help me............. I live on the Clinton River and I need help getting a sea kayak in and out of the water. Our sea wall is about four feet higher than the water level. Possibly interested in floating docks???? don't want to spend a lot of money, looking for a quick and easy solution.

I would hang a ladder then just pull up the kayak. Seems like the cheapest option.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Use the ladder like a skid or make one out of 2 x 6.
A winch on a post above the skid would make it a breeze!
gt

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
I thought this was going to be another crash story. "kayak versus sea wall"

Sounds like a ladder with a small dock-like platform, and a couple of sloped 2x's (one on either side) would be inexpensive and fairly user friendly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Jojotech @ Jun 21 2009, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(rtill @ Jun 21 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Help me............. I live on the Clinton River and I need help getting a sea kayak in and out of the water. Our sea wall is about four feet higher than the water level. Possibly interested in floating docks???? don't want to spend a lot of money, looking for a quick and easy solution.

I would hang a ladder then just pull up the kayak. Seems like the cheapest option.

Well, I am a women....strong, but I don't think I could "just pull it up" without a little help....

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jun 22 2009, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought this was going to be another crash story. "kayak versus sea wall"

Sounds like a ladder with a small dock-like platform, and a couple of sloped 2x's (one on either side) would be inexpensive and fairly user friendly.

Me tooooo !!! hehehe

I was gonna say "you are not alone" hehehe

We have same issue Renee...but we have a ladder....so...you drop the kayak down....hold the rope...
climb down the ladder and get in.

On return...paddle up to ladder...steadily and slowly....use one have to grab onto the ladder and lift yourself up...using other hand to hold onto the kayak/rope. slowly ascend the ladder...
Now is when it gets tricky (for us gurls)....my DIL can do it...I haven't tried yet..(hub won't let me)

anyhow...she slowly climbs up the ladder...pulling up the kayak behind her to a point where she can then stand on the dock and then lifts the kayak the rest of the way up. She turns around with a BROAD SMILE on her face and says "SEE !! I told you I could do it !!" and she's a lil wisp of a girl too

so...I'm betting you CAN do it with practice...might be nice to have someone nearby to assist if needed....
and TG had a fast and easy solution..if you think you can't lift it without scratching the bottom....throw an old carpet over the seawall! excellent suggestion !

ps....I just kayaked the other day for the first time on LSC...it was awesome...
omg..and so crazy peaceful..it's just insane
You appreciate the lake in a WHOLE NUTHER WAY !!

oh..and it was mid week..and we stayed in the bay

Have fun Kayaking.... We are really enjoying it !!

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jun 22 2009, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hang a "drop-a-dock" on the sea wall

Excellent idea too !! not as fast as easy as something you already have...but Redtail has one....and now my hub wants one too.

Heck...so do I !! hehe

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
ps...plug for sponsor..you can buy the brackets (that hang on your seawall) at
Great Lakes Decks and Docks...on M29 near Algonac...and then you build them yourself with lumber you purchase. ( I believe they are 100 dollars) or thereabouts ?

OR...I did see somewhere on the net that there is a guy who will do whole job for you....measure, construct, install
not sure on the cost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts