Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a neighbor selling a 1986 or 87 Wellcraft Nova (23'). Brought the boat for a seatrial, and it planed out great - thing moves nicely and was pretty smooth and quiet.

Driving back (Im captaining) and I see the light is on for the automatic bilge pump, so I ask the owner if he finds a lot of water in the bilge (as Im very well aware of the stringer/transom problems of the Wellcrafts from the 80's) and unforunately his response is why Im not going to be buying his boat anytime soon....

"Yeah, you know, boats this old, they all leak in water at the transom. We've tried sealing it but water still comes in... " I just nodded and drove us back into port.

PASS. Definately not the one for me.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Stodge @ Jul 27 2009, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>so install a second bilge pump to keep up.

Haha!!

And carry a few spare pieces of marine plywood and a "emergency fiberglassing for dummies" book, along with some fiberglass in case the transom does finally give out

The boat ran great, sounded great, has a few new goodies, but sorry - leaky transom - deal breaker. The owner said the bellows were replaced, along with the transom seal to eliminate the leak, and it didnt. I suspect... a fierce hot mess of rotted wood. Too bad, would've been perfect for us.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Fast~Eddie @ Jul 27 2009, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and add 200 shamwow's
They soak up 10 times their weight in liquid!

Bwah hahahah!!!!!

Unforunately, you'd have to wrap sham-wow's on your feet so when the water coming in thru the transom overpowers the bilge pump, you'll have dry feet to jump out of the boat!!

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Jul 27 2009, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Fast~Eddie @ Jul 27 2009, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and add 200 shamwow's
They soak up 10 times their weight in liquid!

Bwah hahahah!!!!!

Unforunately, you'd have to wrap sham-wow's on your feet so when the water coming in thru the transom overpowers the bilge pump, you'll have dry feet to jump out of the boat!!

add a toilet hande on the helm dash....and the plunger-hole in the back...flush it often...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
FWIW, the wet stringers issue with Wellcrafts were in the Gran Sport/St. Tropez line of 30ish express cruisers; I don't believe it had anything to do with the other models in their line-up.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(dockrocker @ Jul 27 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>FWIW, the wet stringers issue with Wellcrafts were in the Gran Sport/St. Tropez line of 30ish express cruisers; I don't believe it had anything to do with the other models in their line-up.

And thats what I heard too until I visited a few google-able forums and articles that stated that a lot of the Wellcraft models, Nova included, were susceptible. But if it was 1988 and above, the issue was supposed to have been addressed by then (this particular boat is an 86).

QUOTE(freckles @ Jul 27 2009, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Jul 27 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a neighbor selling a 1986 or 87 Wellcraft Nova (23')...
Nova? Are you joining the go-fast-ers? Come to the dark side....

Hey, Im on the fence. I could go either way
I think it'd be the cats pajamas to have one of each - a small go-fast, a cruiser, a jet boat... would be cool to have such a "fleet" wouldnt it!?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Can't you just drill a couple holes in the bottom to let the water out?

I had a 1983 Nova II before my Formula - very solid boat with no transom or stringer issues. The guy I sold it to still has it and is going to PIB this weekend with her.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
QUOTE(wantsa311 @ Jul 27 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can't you just drill a couple holes in the bottom to let the water out?

I had a 1983 Nova II before my Formula - very solid boat with no transom or stringer issues. The guy I sold it to still has it and is going to PIB this weekend with her.

Im sure if properly taken care of, it wouldnt be an issue and I know how you are with boats!! I bet that Nova will be around longer than you

But this boat ... aye aye aye... apparently the issue is ongoing and has been for a while. Owner didnt seem concerned about it. If I had water coming through the transom (wood) in any boat I owned, I'd have the motor and outdrive torn out a long time ago and be sealing that transom up!

And as far as the water coming in - I can see it coming in through the top of the transom shield on the inside of the transom.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
No, you're right about walking/running away from this one--there are too many other boats for sale right now. I wouldn't steer clear of ALL Novas, though. Check out Liberators & Checkmates, too.

And as a current fleet captain, yes, it's pretty cool to have the option.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Not to pimp too hard, but if you're looking for a smaller runabout/performance boat, my neighbor has a Yamaha XR1800, kind of jet-boat interpretation of a Donzi 18 type of boat. Closed bow, twin 155 hp motors, it is supposed to run pretty hard. He's had it for sale for a while - they bought a jet ski and now it sits at his Mom's house unused. Might be worth looking at....

Here's a review I googled up. As a bonus, I believe with a jet boat you are exempt from no-wake regulations, especially in the Doty.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
QUOTE(Jason R @ Jul 27 2009, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey I had an 87 Nova. I miss that boat sometimes.

Sorry, bit of a hijack - are you by chance the guy from BoaterEd that had small blocks, bored out to 409, I think? Built a framework in the yard to pull the motors? Just curious, it popped into my head as I thought the guy was from Roseville. Of course, it could just be old age on my part!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Well at least you're looking in the right direction Chris. I'm telling you, and i'm sure I speak for many Wellcraft owners and non-owners alike when I say this, but they are one hot a$$ boat!

Water Sky Boat Watercraft Vehicle

I'd say f**k all the dumb sh*t and get your self an Excalibur tho!!

And yes I know I need some new pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The problems werent so much with water leaking in. Maybe this is being misinterpreted.

But its more about the stringer & transom wood not being properly glassed prior to 1988, getting wet, then getting rotted really easy. Obviously the problems on this specific boat Im looking werent caused by Wellcrafts design - but- the water leaking in can cause big problems and the owner said its been leaking for a while and has no intent on fixing it.

And Im not saying there is anything wrong with Wellcrafts, or I wouldnt be out sea-trialing one

1 - 20 of 24 Posts