Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Launched off Crocker Friday, headed toward Metro Beach. Lots of weeds almost to the surface and massive amounts of cottonwood junk, much of the stretch only fishable with weedless baits, but before long the drag was whizzing, and I shook off a 30ish inch musky that had poor aim, and was hooked on top of the head.
Upon getting to a more fishable area, ended up getting 3 nice pike, about 28, 32, and 33-34 inches, a 30ish inch musky, and several bass, a couple of which were pretty nice.

The 28 and 32 inch pike were caught on a St. Clair Bait Co. perch bait that I knew would catch something good, the best bass on a husky jerk, and the big pike, musky, and monster hits came on a shallow running, suspending European swim bait, which was run on a very long line (over 100 ft). The other lures that ran deeper were run on a short line, about 30 ft. All the action in about 8 ft of water, 3.5 mph. Surface temps were in the low to mid 60s.

A couple of the pike had some pretty nasty sores. Looked like they had already been in a few battles.

Also lost 2 bigger fish (one threw the hook as it jumped, and the other was a monster hit as I was letting the lure out) before I figured out to back the drag way, way off (almost fully open) so the wimpy hooks on the swim bait didn't tear out, after which I got the biggest pike, which still mangled one of the hooks pretty well.

But the last fish of the day caught heading back was most amusing… whoever said largemouth bass aren't voracious?

All in all a pretty fun start...

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great report and nice job on the fish! Love the pics with the lures
Sounds like things are good on the lake this year.

QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Jun 15 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Launched off Crocker Friday, headed toward Metro Beach. Lots of weeds almost to the surface and massive amounts of cottonwood junk, much of the stretch only fishable with weedless baits, but before long the drag was whizzing, and I shook off a 30ish inch musky that had poor aim, and was hooked on top of the head.
Upon getting to a more fishable area, ended up getting 3 nice pike, about 28, 32, and 33-34 inches, a 30ish inch musky, and several bass, a couple of which were pretty nice.

The 28 and 32 inch pike were caught on a Lake St. Clair perch bait that I knew would catch something good, the best bass on a husky jerk, and the big pike, musky, and monster hits came on a shallow running, suspending European swim bait, which was run on a very long line (over 100 ft). The other lures that ran deeper were run on a short line, about 30 ft. All the action in about 8 ft of water, 3.5 mph. Surface temps were in the low to mid 60s.

A couple of the pike had some pretty nasty sores. Looked like they had already been in a few battles.

Also lost 2 bigger fish (one threw the hook as it jumped, and the other was a monster hit as I was letting the lure out) before I figured out to back the drag way, way off (almost fully open) so the wimpy hooks on the swim bait didn't tear out, after which I got the biggest pike, which still mangled one of the hooks pretty well.

But the last fish of the day caught heading back was most amusing&#8230; whoever said largemouth bass aren't voracious?

All in all a pretty fun start...

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really like those pics of fish in the water ... obviously. Better for the fish, too!

One more, of the first (28ish inch) pike, with lure (St. Clair Perch Bait)... and the lure. Love the bucktail on the lure...

Attachments

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
That's a sweet looking lure. It would be a shame to see it end up with teeth marks on it, maybe you should give it to me?

j/k, nice fish and that lure works as good as it looks

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Definitely a good way to start things out for the season....nice pics, nice report and nice lure lol It's just getting started, I'm sure we will see bigger and better from you this year.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(soule @ Jun 16 2009, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>where is the lure available at?

Angelo, the creator/artist, sells his St. Clair Bait Co. lures at MOMC and Muskies Inc. (LSCMI) neetings. He also makes some sweeet musky bucktails (the inline spinner kind). Really big bucktails. Won the spring tournaments for both clubs with a fish caught on one of them.

Fantastic
paint job on that lure. Speaking of teeth marks, the chunky 32 incher really ate it, and there's hardly any evidence... I think it'll get some monsters.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Great job! Sounds like a fun trip to me

·
3,236 Posts
QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Jun 15 2009, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I really like those pics of fish in the water ... obviously. Better for the fish, too!

One more, of the first (28ish inch) pike, with lure (St. Clair Perch Bait)... and the lure. Love the bucktail on the lure...

You mean you caught pike on large musky lures?
I thought you were only supposto use smaller lures trolled slowly for pike.
Nice catch, sounds like a fun day.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(Tony @ Jun 16 2009, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Jun 15 2009, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I really like those pics of fish in the water ... obviously. Better for the fish, too!

You mean you caught pike on large musky lures?
I thought you were only supposto use smaller lures trolled slowly for pike.
Nice catch, sounds like a fun day.

Obviously this report is bs...read inbetween the lines Tony!! You are one of a kind with your Pike tactics!

haha Juuuuust joking!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was only going 3.5 mph, Tony.

But then, the water was still pretty cool....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nice work - that is a great looking lure (St. Clair Co) - where do you get one of those? Also - is that swim bait a 4-play? I was considering one - yeah, or big fat negative?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The perch bait is available at Muskies Inc (LSCMI) and MOMC meetings. They're great groups to check out anyway if you like to hunt the toothy critters.

Yup, the swim bait is a 4-Play. Had to order it from the UK. Caught some nice bass on it, too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts