Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I've heard different stories about going on Seaway Island off the south channel side.
A: Dont do it unless you have your I-68 and CanPass as it is in Canadian waters.
B: Since it is an island and not connected to the main land in anyway, the Canadian Authorities dont bother you as long as you dont act like a total jacka$$.

Friends of ours have been going over there for 20 years (they are Americans) and tell us they have never had a problem on the island with the Canadian Authorities.

Does any one have any knowldge about who in Canada I can contact to verify what is needed or not needed to anchor there for a day? I might be putting together a "boat day" for everyone at work to get together (non-company sanctioned) and would like to use the "beach" area near the south/east tip as the meeting place if the above "B" is correct. Otherwise, I need to keep looking.

Thnx

·
Registered
718 Posts
Jim,

This is my story...a couple of years ago some friends of mine & I were on the island with coolers full of beer, pop & food for the day. Well, the O.P.P. were there going from boat to boat checking people. So we new we couldn't drink with them there so we just stayed on the beach waiting anchously for them to leave...which they never did. Well they came accross this one couple, the woman who supposedly was retired from the F.B.I. started to read the riot act to the O.P.P., we all thought they were going to toe her away and throw her in jail when to our amazement they just slowly left. After she got to the beach, curiosity got the best of us and we just had to talk to her to find out why they didn't hasel her. It turns out that the very southern tip of the island is actually U.S. soil. That's right America. There is an "offical border marker" on the island in a cement pilling with a steel stake in it sticking up about 2'. On one side of it it has embossed letters reading "UNITED STATES" and on the other side of it it reads "CANADA". This is an "offiical border marker" and we even showed it to the O.P.P. when he later came onto the island. (There is a trail going to it but it's kinda hard to find cause it only sticks up about 2 feet and the weed are usually that high. But it's a cool thing to find when your there.) He (the O.P.P.)looked at it and said "well, I guess your right, the southern tip of the island is U.S. soil". But he also cautioned us that the Indians consider the whole island there's!!! Hence all the stakes they put up around the island every year. And if they ever start to hassel you about it to just leave. So if you have one of those green flip charts, take a good look at it it shows the southern tip of the island IS "U.S. soil". When you get on the island you can get on the tree line where the beach is the highest and line up the cove on the back side of the island with the big red channel marker in the freighter cut off channel and ONLY that part of the beach is U.S. soil. It's not much but it's better than nothing and technically you don't need any I-68's, CANPASS or any other form to be there. You can even get there without going thru Canadain waters. But make sure you also anchor on the U.S. side of that line...there is room. That is very important beacuse if you anchor on there side of the border they CAN hassel you. Good luck and happy boating. Oh yea...keep this a secret

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Beachbum's right, the SW end of the island is US. I think the potential problem with the Indians involves fishing. Something about if you're fishing in their territory without an Indian guide, you're in trouble.

Otherwise, we've gone to the island for years and will continue to do so. I don't know if I'd take a whole group. Don't forget about the "high tide/low tide phenomenon" when the freighters go by, and the water's pretty cold. Also, the piles of dead, rotting fishflies that wash up on shore can be pretty fragrant, so plan accordingly.

·
Registered
718 Posts
freckles Posted on Jun 22 2004, 03:04 PM QUOTEDon't forget about the "high tide/low tide phenomenon" when the freighters go by, and the water's pretty cold.

Important point I forgot to mention...also, I haven't been there yet this year (wating for the water to warm up) but the little black flies were terrible last year. Other than all that it's one of my favorite places to go on the lake. The kids love the sand and love the waves the frieghters make. DO anchor with 2 good anchors with a good amount of rode out.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Jun 22 2004, 11:04 AM)Beachbum's right, the SW end of the island is US. I
If this is so, then why did the canadian police stop me over on the beach side of the SW end of the island?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Can't answer that, Jabber. All I know is what the chart shows me. I'm looking a large, one-page LSC chart and even that shows a dotted line on the island (it's small, but it's there). They may have been busting your chops for whatever reason.

*The following is personal experience and is not meant as advise*
We've been on the Canadian part of the island with beverages, minding our own business, kids playing in the sand, etc. and have seen OPP and Canadian conservation officers go by the anchored boats (checking MC numbers? I don't know). The Canadian officials did their checking and never bothered us.

Again, I'll continue to go there. It's one of our favorite spots, but I'd be leery of taking a crowd or organizing some sort of rendezvous.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Good to know, would spend some time there with my cousins and party up at the northern end....

We were never bothered though.....

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Looking at the map, I was just inside of the Canadian waters. maybe next time I will come in from the back side of the island.

·
Registered
718 Posts
JABBERJAWZ Posted on Jun 25 2004, 05:59 PM QUOTEmaybe next time I will come in from the back side of the island.

Jeff,

If you look at that map...when you come in from the back side of the island, the water is American but when you touch land back there your on Canadain soil...so if you want to stay on the American side you have to go around what we call the firecracker at the end of the rock wall at the south end of the island and get onto the island that way. As far as I know thats the only way of never leaving the U.S. Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Years ago, 20 plus, I used to pull into the cut on the east side of the island and tie uo to a tree and walk across the tip of the island to swim etc. Can you do that today? I realize your in Canadian waters but is the cut deep enought to do that now?...............Thanks

·
Registered
718 Posts
Old and Slow Posted on Jun 27 2004, 01:13 PM [Qis the cut deep enought UOTE][/QUOTE]

yea the back side of the island is deep enough but like I said earlyer, once you hid land in the back of the island your on Canadain soil... sooo be wear...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Two years ago we used to take out 22 foot boat into that cut (entrance approximately across from the Old Club on Harsens Island). You have to be careful going in but it was deep enough back then. It is really pretty back there. Later in the season, the reeds get quite overgrown and it is harder to get close enough to the shore to tie off and get off the boat w/o getting wet. With this year's depth, I bet small boats can get in there just fine. It is a short walk to the beach on the other side of the island.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
hammer is in charge of it !

·
Registered
115 Posts
I tried attaching a picture but it wouldn't let me. Go to google earth and zoom in right over the southwest side of the island. They have a border line on the app as well and you can easily see part of the beach that is in the U.S.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all, I am planning a trip to Magnetic island, I was wondering, are the piecarts buses still in operation? thanks

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
1991777[/URL]']
Hi all, I am planning a trip to Magnetic island, I was wondering, are the piecarts buses still in operation? thanks
Might want to try someone from Australia. I don't think to many people will know what a Mercedes piecart is in Michigan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts