Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Im taking the wife and kids to Saint Clair area to visit her family this weekend. Ill be towing my 16' up to do some fishing while they visit. I was hoping someone would help me and maybe give me some direction. Ive never fished the lake before. Info on a nice public boat ramp and maybe a target depth to fish would be great. Id like to target Walleye or Muskie. Any info on either species would be greatly appreciated. Ive read about the weed beds in Saint Clair does anyone fish these successfully at night? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I don't do much fishing on the Lake, but view some recent posts and that will get you started. Perch, musky and smallies have been good lately, so I read. Others will chime in shortly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Where will U be staying ???? There are many boat launches around the lake. I would think U would want to launch and fish close to where U are staying. With a 16' boast U dont want to be going across the lake, even if its calm because the winds can pickup at anytime and its a big lake. So please let us know where U are staying and then we would be able to guide U in the right direction. If U can spare $250 ( I belive thats his rate) I would hire a guide to fish for muskie. There is a local guide that will take U out casting for muskie in anchor bay. Depending on where U live this may be the best chance U have to catch 40-50" fish. The muskie fishing has been great this year. I will check back later to get your location and try to help U out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the Pm's W.S they have been a tremendous help. I'll be staying in royal Oak 6667ss. I have a bigger boat, the problem is if I take it my fishing trip will turn into a family boat ride. I just want to spend a day fishing this lake Ive heard so much about. Im a competent boater and fisherman. I live about an hr S of cleveland and fish Erie often. Ill be watching the weather and lake reports, and assure you I wont be heading out in any adverse weather. No doubt a local guide could put me right on the fish. If I had more time maybe id go that route, but Im going to have to fish around family plans. Im hoping to get a good 6 hrs in either sat morning or sat evening.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Well I see the walleye guy PM'd U. He probably told U that there doing pretty good on walleye out off the shipping channel in 17-20' of water just make sure U stay on the north side or youre in canada. The walleye guys have also been catching quite a few muskie out there. Ive been fishing for muskie out by selfridge in 6-8' of water and have seen some nice ones, and caught smaller ones. The bigger ones always seem to not get hooked or get off. There should still be muskie down by the dumping grounds. The key for me has been to find some nice weed beds 6' or deeper. Use a heavier pole with 20+ lb line and I would pickup 2 bucktails, there easy to use, dont weigh half a pound and more musky are caught on them in the lake than anything else. Cast them over the weedbeds using a quick retrive, drift around until U get a follow and then work the area pretty good, because there will be more in the area. The BP station at 9mile/jefferson should have a nice selection of bucktails, there AD and # are on the side of the board here as they are a sponsor. GOOD LUCK fishing the lake..............

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank's allot to everyone that replied. I only fished saturday morning, and it got pretty windy. Lake got really rough so I didnt get to fish as long as I would have liked. I used the crocker launch and fished about a mile south of there in 12' caught allot of perch and some were pretty nice. I used 1/8 oz jigs with spinners tiped with crawlers. It was really weedy were I was, so I ended up just verticle jigging. Action was pretty heavy for awhile. I released them all. What a beautiful lake. I was amazed at how clear the water was. Thank's again to everyone, and I cant wait for another opportunity to fish Saint Clair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts