Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ok I admit I consider myself the "self-proclaimed" master of fishing the senko. For the last 5 years or so, that is all i throw for largemouth bass and the lure just puts up big numbers. Only over the past 2 years have I really started throwing the lure wacky-rigged, it seems to catch more fish that way. The only problem is just about every fish costs me a worm. I finally decided to break down and buy the o-ring tool from Bass Pro Shops. I am hearing good things about using the o-ring. I was curious what anyone else had to say about it.

That 5 pound bass in my avatar picture was caught on a senko, I caught that fish and a 4pound 5ounce largemouth about 30 minutes apart.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just started fishing senkos this year and i only have fished them wacky stlye on a drop shot rig mainly for small mouth and they work great. I didnt use the wacky tool at first untill i was loosing my worm atleast every 2 bites. it works out great and does not damage the senko at all. it seems worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
O-rings work. So does electrical tape.

The best tip I can give is try using a knock off. The Bass Pro Stick-O is the one I reach for first. I do carry Yamamoto Senkos (and a few other brands) but with Yamamoto's @ $6.99 for a bag of 10 and BPS Stick-O's at $3.99 for 20....its an easy choice.

Some days they want one or the other (or a different brand), but most of the time it doesnt matter.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have used split rings in the past and what I like to do is fish them Texas rigged and then use them wacky style after they get beat up Texas rigged. In this link it shows a good tool to apply o rings with and this might work for you. I agree that Senkos are a killer bait and smallies loves the bubblegum. Please remember that they are not biodegradable and do not throw them in the water once they are destroyed.

http://www.insideline.net/cgi-bin/ez-forum...ames;read=18999

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
The YUM Dinger is an excellent choice for the same reasons that Mini stated - more bang for your buck. The Dinger is actually more flexible than a Senko and alot more durable. I've got four Plano 3700's full of Senkos sitting in my basement not getting used since I started using the Dingers.

Wacky-rig tip; try using a treble hook. Seriuosly. Just hang the worm off one of the points. Still pretty manageable in the grass, and instant hook-up when it gets bit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use a trick stick from www.aandmbaits.com you can get 50 for 11 bucks. And they WORK. Very good bait for bass.
visit there site. you can pay using paypal.
These come in 3 to 5 inch and lots of your favorite colors
I use a o-ring for wacky style and also texas rig with no weight and use a size 5 g lock to get to sink faster. very effective when skipping under docks.
A wacky style rig will skip very easy

·
Registered
838 Posts
Use a split ring size #4 I believe. One is just too big and one is just too small on a yum dinger, not sure about a senko. Use the bigger size and just barely skin hook the Senko along with the split ring. I can usually get at least 5 fish out of a dinger most of the time more than that.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have used split rings and O rings both with good results. The split rings get the senko to fall a little faster. There is a group of us that pour our own plastics including senkos. The nice thing is you come up with your own colors and add any scents or attractants. A friend and myself won a tournament Tuesday with a coffee senko.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
Another good thing about the rubber ring is that you can down size the hook to change the fall rate for a more natural presentation without greatly sacrificing your hook up percentage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jul 9 2009, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>O-rings work. So does electrical tape.

The best tip I can give is try using a knock off. The Bass Pro Stick-O is the one I reach for first. I do carry Yamamoto Senkos (and a few other brands) but with Yamamoto's @ $6.99 for a bag of 10 and BPS Stick-O's at $3.99 for 20....its an easy choice.

Some days they want one or the other (or a different brand), but most of the time it doesnt matter.

Absolutely, bass pro brand senkos are a lot tougher and cheaper and you get a 20 pack. Bought a damn bag of yamamotos friday and lost 5 while casting before I boated my first smallie. I do need to pick up those o rings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.