Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ok I admit I consider myself the "self-proclaimed" master of fishing the senko. For the last 5 years or so, that is all i throw for largemouth bass and the lure just puts up big numbers. Only over the past 2 years have I really started throwing the lure wacky-rigged, it seems to catch more fish that way. The only problem is just about every fish costs me a worm. I finally decided to break down and buy the o-ring tool from Bass Pro Shops. I am hearing good things about using the o-ring. I was curious what anyone else had to say about it.

That 5 pound bass in my avatar picture was caught on a senko, I caught that fish and a 4pound 5ounce largemouth about 30 minutes apart.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just started fishing senkos this year and i only have fished them wacky stlye on a drop shot rig mainly for small mouth and they work great. I didnt use the wacky tool at first untill i was loosing my worm atleast every 2 bites. it works out great and does not damage the senko at all. it seems worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Bubblegum Senko! Weedless style! My go-to Bass bait.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
O-rings work. So does electrical tape.

The best tip I can give is try using a knock off. The Bass Pro Stick-O is the one I reach for first. I do carry Yamamoto Senkos (and a few other brands) but with Yamamoto's @ $6.99 for a bag of 10 and BPS Stick-O's at $3.99 for 20....its an easy choice.

Some days they want one or the other (or a different brand), but most of the time it doesnt matter.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have used split rings in the past and what I like to do is fish them Texas rigged and then use them wacky style after they get beat up Texas rigged. In this link it shows a good tool to apply o rings with and this might work for you. I agree that Senkos are a killer bait and smallies loves the bubblegum. Please remember that they are not biodegradable and do not throw them in the water once they are destroyed.

http://www.insideline.net/cgi-bin/ez-forum...ames;read=18999

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
The YUM Dinger is an excellent choice for the same reasons that Mini stated - more bang for your buck. The Dinger is actually more flexible than a Senko and alot more durable. I've got four Plano 3700's full of Senkos sitting in my basement not getting used since I started using the Dingers.

Wacky-rig tip; try using a treble hook. Seriuosly. Just hang the worm off one of the points. Still pretty manageable in the grass, and instant hook-up when it gets bit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use a trick stick from www.aandmbaits.com you can get 50 for 11 bucks. And they WORK. Very good bait for bass.
visit there site. you can pay using paypal.
These come in 3 to 5 inch and lots of your favorite colors
I use a o-ring for wacky style and also texas rig with no weight and use a size 5 g lock to get to sink faster. very effective when skipping under docks.
A wacky style rig will skip very easy

·
Registered
838 Posts
Use a split ring size #4 I believe. One is just too big and one is just too small on a yum dinger, not sure about a senko. Use the bigger size and just barely skin hook the Senko along with the split ring. I can usually get at least 5 fish out of a dinger most of the time more than that.

·
Registered
183 Posts
wack-o tool works, but only down part is that you'll get the occasional smaller bass that will bite and hold onto one side of the senko only and they will pull your senko right out of the ring.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have used split rings and O rings both with good results. The split rings get the senko to fall a little faster. There is a group of us that pour our own plastics including senkos. The nice thing is you come up with your own colors and add any scents or attractants. A friend and myself won a tournament Tuesday with a coffee senko.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
Another good thing about the rubber ring is that you can down size the hook to change the fall rate for a more natural presentation without greatly sacrificing your hook up percentage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jul 9 2009, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>O-rings work. So does electrical tape.

The best tip I can give is try using a knock off. The Bass Pro Stick-O is the one I reach for first. I do carry Yamamoto Senkos (and a few other brands) but with Yamamoto's @ $6.99 for a bag of 10 and BPS Stick-O's at $3.99 for 20....its an easy choice.

Some days they want one or the other (or a different brand), but most of the time it doesnt matter.

Absolutely, bass pro brand senkos are a lot tougher and cheaper and you get a 20 pack. Bought a damn bag of yamamotos friday and lost 5 while casting before I boated my first smallie. I do need to pick up those o rings.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Use two o-rings and make an X with them, it makes the worm parralel to the hook. I find that i get a better hook up ratio this way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts