Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
This is a serious question I would like some feedback on. With all the ways that a musky and be landed and released successfully what is the best way to get a accurate measurement. I have seen some post where measurements have been down to a 1/8in and I don't know how to acheive that without laying the fish down on something. Most measurements I take are while the fish is being held. We all know a correct measurement is taken from the upper most part of the jaw to the tip of the tail so how is that done? Can you lay it on a wet surface like plastic, plexiglass or any wet surface? The reason I ask this that I would like to give a more accurate report of the musky I catch in the future. Thanks

·
Registered
958 Posts
Everything I've read says that you need to make sure that the surface you're laying them on for a measurement has to be wet. Beyond that I have never really seen a preference as far as what kind of material is the best.

Hopefully Will chimes in on this one. With as many years experience as he has I'm sure he's got a very good solution.

·
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(RJT @ Oct 4 2009, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Honestly, if its not a monster why do you have to measure it? No this is not meant to be negative, this is how I approach similar situations.

Yeah, I agree with you if it is not a monster it needs not to be measured and I don't take the time to measure the smaller ones. What is your idea of a monster mine is 45in and up. I just plan on catching a bunch of monsters in the future

·
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(heimskr @ Oct 4 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Everything I've read says that you need to make sure that the surface you're laying them on for a measurement has to be wet. Beyond that I have never really seen a preference as far as what kind of material is the best.

Hopefully Will chimes in on this one. With as many years experience as he has I'm sure he's got a very good solution.

It would be nice to see what he thinks about this.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I think alot of the trollers have a ruler on they're livewell box things, so they get a measurement while the fish is in the box. Thats just a guess though. I agree with RJT, if it isnt close to being a personal best, i wouldn't measure too many of them. Thats just me.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I've got a floating measuring stick and a bump board. My 48 from a couple of weeks ago was 48" on the stick, floating in the water and she wouldn't hold still and had a constand bend or "S" to her. 48 was as good as I could get before she kicked and was gone. Then talking to some muskie buddies of mine, they said you can lose 2-4" sometimes on the fish depending on the size and the fish's "manners." So left wondering if I had a 50 and called it a 48, I got a bump board. It's a Muskie Bumper board, and it floats, so you can lay her on it in the water, or even dunk it real quick and get it wet if you have to measure her in the boat.

In my few fish since then, I now use the stick in the water by default, just lay it in the water next to her while she revives. But if there's a chance that she'll go high, I'll use the bump board in the water. A 43 can be a 42 or a 44 and no one (myself included) will lose sleep over an inch or two. But looking for a 50, I want to make sure I get a big girl measured correctly as I'm waiting for a 50 for a replica, and a bump board, I think is the most accurate.

·
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Oct 4 2009, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've got a floating measuring stick and a bump board. My 48 from a couple of weeks ago was 48" on the stick, floating in the water and she wouldn't hold still and had a constand bend or "S" to her. 48 was as good as I could get before she kicked and was gone. Then talking to some muskie buddies of mine, they said you can lose 2-4" sometimes on the fish depending on the size and the fish's "manners." So left wondering if I had a 50 and called it a 48, I got a bump board. It's a Muskie Bumper board, and it floats, so you can lay her on it in the water, or even dunk it real quick and get it wet if you have to measure her in the boat.

In my few fish since then, I now use the stick in the water by default, just lay it in the water next to her while she revives. But if there's a chance that she'll go high, I'll use the bump board in the water. A 43 can be a 42 or a 44 and no one (myself included) will lose sleep over an inch or two. But looking for a 50, I want to make sure I get a big girl measured correctly as I'm waiting for a 50 for a replica, and a bump board, I think is the most accurate.

Now I got to have a bump board. something else to spend money on.

·
Registered
631 Posts
QUOTE(pikescale @ Oct 4 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Buy a Bump Board...Ronnie and Helens has them.

QUOTE(esoxfly @ Oct 4 2009, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's where I got mine. Love it. Floats, tough, folds down to a small size.

I ordered my muskie bumper from Rollie and Helens on the internet. It's 60" long, has 2 raised sides to push the fish up to and folds in half. Don't think it floats, nut sure, heavy gauge plastic, but if the fish is big enough I'd be measuring her in the boat anyway.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Dunwright Tackle has a great bump-board. $40 I think. Measure the fish with the back up against the board. You can also pinch the tail if you think it is a MONSTER. I usually measure them if I think they are over 50.

Or, if you are like some trollers, they have a tape measure that reads right off the line counters on their reels. These line counters may also double as scales.

·
Registered
125 Posts
QUOTE(myside @ Oct 5 2009, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>how you use the bump board is in debate,my opinion fork of tail.the method of the lake seems to be pinch tail and get furthest point.

There has been no debate on how to measure a fish. In the Big Dog, Mr. Biggs, Muskie Bash or MOMC. All derbys we have won or placed in. The nose touches the front board, Back against the back board and pinch the tail and mark it with a square. That's the way it has been done the past 6 years or more we been taking fish in. Master Angler also states it that way too.

Also Mike did tape record the whole time it was being done too, that was a first this year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yes i said method of lake no controversy,but yrs.ago when purchased bump board the only info on line i found was all essox to be measured at the fork,shoot i dont like to loose inches either.srry i cant produce web site long time ago.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's very easy to make your own bumpboard, or you could buy a custom one from me! I've helped some guys in the MMA by just getting them the graphic on the board, then they make their own out of wood. I make them out of a plastic composite that floats. It's 3/8" thick and folds in half at the 30" mark. The one showed below is a very sturdy one that I made out of plastic-sandwiched aluminum. Very tough, the only downside is it doesn't float.

Floor Flooring Gas Font Road surface

Motor vehicle Rectangle Font Gas Electronic device

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts