Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Severe Thunderstorm Watch number 688 is now in effect for ALL of south central lower Michigan until 1:00AM EDT. Extremely powerful storms will continue moving this way, and developing with main threats being damaging winds reaching hurricane force (74 mph) or greater, hail up to golf ball size, flooding torrential rains, and an isolated tornado all possible. Stay tuned everybody as these storms are going to explode rapidly with little or no warning due to the extreme instability within the atmosphere currently.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Fall you say. Hmmmm. That means ice soon after. ^Then we go back to the hard water action.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Aug 9 2009, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With this damn heat and humidity, one would imagine theese would come. Now can we return to the cool summer or even fall please

WHAT?!?

Slow down there cowboy, it'll get here soon enough.

·
Registered
357 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Aug 9 2009, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fall you say. Hmmmm. That means ice soon after. ^Then we go back to the hard water action.

Don't even start!!!

I don't want to hear the word "ice" unless someone is asking if I want ice in my drink for 5 months!!!!

We've got a lot of "soft water" fishing to deal with.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The computer showed a vortex signature as it went right over my house in the shores at 8:50 pm. Some of the strongest wind I have ever seen for a minute and then dead calm. A cell off to the West shows 3" hail! Hope that weakens.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While the majority of the severe thunderstorm threat is over for the time being, we will need to keep a close eye on the very intense storms congregating over IA/IL at this time as they move this way and continue intesifying. Apart from that, we should be in the all clear for now. Here in Clinton Township, I measured a peak wind gust of 77.2MPH, with a few 70-75MPH gusts in there as well. No hail that I could see, but we did get 2.25" of rain in under 80 minutes. Power flickered multiple times, and briefly went off and on, but thankfully not out this time. Not a bad storm at all! I'll keep you all posted on what's taking place throughout the night. We had the sirens sound 4 separate times here as well. A job very well done for the forecasters today, as well as local emergency management departments for warning people in advance. We all knew it was coming, and while some of us were hit harder than others, it could've happened to any one of us. Anybody live in Jackson county, and know if a tornado or funnel was spotted during the active tornado warning?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
QUOTEWe all knew it was coming...

Maybe them people on the lake didn't have a weather radio? Or maybe they didn't see the lightning or hear the thunder? Maybe they were just deaf, dumb, and blind....Lots of boats came in after the rain started. It never ceases to amaze me.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
There were some pretty strong winds in my neck of the woods. Power blinked out a couple times. Otherwise the storms weren't that impressive here, though...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The siren went off 4 times? I was at work, so i missed it, but my family only heard it go off once. (Both in fraser and the one in our sub) It was crazy when i got home, i didnt think the sub was that bad, and when i turned into my sub there was crap everywhere. Had to move a branch to get into the driveway, thank god my car wasnt there, lol.

P.S. He!! yes on the ice fishing. BRING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dad and I got caught by suprise out there. my radio was on scan mode, but we never heard any weather warnings. My dad came in from Florida for the weekend to fish St. Clair and really wanted to go out badly.(he caught his first St. clair Walleye and several HUGE Perch
) We checked the weather report and marine forcast before we left, and saw that no storms were expected until after 11:00. I figured it would be a rough ride, but nothing that the boat cant handle. So, off we went. After about 3 hours of fishing, We noticed it getting a little dark and looked up to see those scary looking clouds coming in and figured we better get off the lake before it gets too rough. Unfortunately my boat took a BEATING on the way in. A big wave hit us on the side of the hull with such force that it jarred my windshield out of place and ripped my starboard side console off of its mounts. ( i will try to add some pictures) Thankfully the deep-V hull did not allow any water to come into the boat. We put it back in place and just slowed down on our way in. We passed several boats that just continued fishing and ignored what was coming. I dont know what they were thinking. WE got off the water about 20 minutes before the sirens went off and the hard rain started to come in. i am definately going to think twice before doing that again!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.