Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd start a new question I don't have any prizes but I'd like to see how many know the actual proper name for a sheepshead (The ones we catch in Lake St. Clair.) the answer is directly from the DNR officer I spoke to today about the guy selling the carp.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(ErnieT @ Jun 16 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Scubajay @ Jun 16 2009, 06:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Scientific name - Aplodinotus grunniens
What did they tell you about the guy selling Carp??

i posted it over in that topic. but it is illegal to sell any fish or game without a commercial license and you have to be selling it to someone with a business license.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought this was harder I didn't know what it was called until the c.o. I talked to told me. But hey then again I wasn't raised down here either. I don't think they live in the upper manistee. And yes it is a freshwater drum.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Jun 16 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought this was harder I didn't know what it was called until the c.o. I talked to told me. But hey then again I wasn't raised down here either. I don't think they live in the upper manistee. And yes it is a freshwater drum.

what did i win???

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jun 18 2009, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Jun 16 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought this was harder I didn't know what it was called until the c.o. I talked to told me. But hey then again I wasn't raised down here either. I don't think they live in the upper manistee. And yes it is a freshwater drum.

what did i win???

a hair cut Joe Dirtaaaaaa

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
QUOTE(Grapes @ Jun 18 2009, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jun 18 2009, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Jun 16 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought this was harder I didn't know what it was called until the c.o. I talked to told me. But hey then again I wasn't raised down here either. I don't think they live in the upper manistee. And yes it is a freshwater drum.

what did i win???

a hair cut Joe Dirtaaaaaa

its pronounced "dertay"...its french...

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(tcg @ Jun 18 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My Great Aunt used to boil those suckers and eat 'em.

Matt

i have a old cookbook has a recipe for sheephead cakes,so someone use to eat of em, ive also heard of em being used in chowders

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I smoke them just like sucker only leave them in the brine and they come tasting like salmon.

·
Registered
735 Posts
QUOTE(MECDave @ Jun 22 2009, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They nibble soft, fight for a second, and them come in like a log

lol not the big ones!
I have had some huge ones on this season and each one hit like a train and fought like a record smallie!

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes I caught some nice ones last year and they fought like they were the biggest baddest fish in the lake. I really enjoy catching them. They put out one heck of a fight.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts