Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with this Marina? it's 2.5 miles north of Selfridge on the west side of Anchor Bay.

I'm in this marina and the entrance to the channel is only about 2 foot deep. Does anyone know if they dredge this channel? Or does it take a few unsuspecting boat owners using their spare props to clear it out?

G

·
Are you talking about Anchor Bay Marina in the Salt River?

We went in there yesterday just fine. It got down to 2-2.5 feet. Had no problems.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor253 @ May 11 2003, 09:01 AM)Are you talking about Anchor Bay Marina in the Salt River?

We went in there yesterday just fine. It got down to 2-2.5 feet. Had no problems.
2-2.5 feet no problem???? Were you in a canoe?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE2-2.5 feet no problem???? Were you in a canoe?

LOL

I don't think it's Salt river, I'm new to Anchor Bay. My charts are on the boat so I can't give you Lat long. However it would be almost due north of Mac & Rays.

I suspect if the water levels stay around the same a canoe maybe what I'll need to get to the bay.

·
12,052 Posts
If there is a big orange colored building that is Schmid Marina. There is plenty of water in Anchor bay and also inside Schmid. It does get shallow right outside the canal at kind of a sand bar, but its still over three feet.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Hammer,

I think the map is a great idea.

Wonder what about getting one going (similar to the nautical map on site - same size, but enlarge on the coasts to see the names) where we can add listings of places (restuarants/bars) we have visited. I know as a new boater on LSC, I dont know of all the places and to just hear the names fromothers does me no good in figuring out where they are. Kind of like saying "the nice place on the water." Wonder if something like this is possible?

G

·
HA HA.....Sorry Hammer. I forgot about you and your beast of a boat. Maybe you should take out some of the speakers and you wouldn't take on so much water!!

Just kidding. Don't change a thing. The system sounds great.

I even got the slide rule out on the distance from Selfridge to Salt River and it is a hair short from 2.5 miles.
So, what are we trying to figure out. Wether you can get into that Marina your talking about? EDdBOat?

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
He has to be talking about the Salt........Fordman has been in and out of there with no problems....I hope to take mine out this weekend.....Everybody keeps telling me it's safe.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have a slip there at Shipping Channel Marina, never had any problems although when that water is down, the prop will stir up some mud. It is on Salt River, two marinas up from Anchor Bay Marina, The one in between has just changed hands and used to be a dump. The new people are pouring in some money into it but I wouldnt take a inflatable in there, let alone my boat. Maybe they drudged it, dont know or care.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ May 12 2003, 08:32 AM)Hammer,

I think the map is a great idea.

Wonder what about getting one going (similar to the nautical map on site - same size, but enlarge on the coasts to see the names) where we can add listings of places (restuarants/bars) we have visited. I know as a new boater on LSC, I dont know of all the places and to just hear the names fromothers does me no good in figuring out where they are. Kind of like saying "the nice place on the water." Wonder if something like this is possible?
I can make what ever you want. Maybe one with marina's and one with restaurants? Let me know and I will make them. If its on the water....I've been there.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTEI have a slip there at Shipping Channel Marina, never had any problems although when that water is down, the prop will stir up some mud. It is on Salt River, two marinas up from Anchor Bay Marina, ...

That's the one. I tried going out and had to resort to manual propulsion. I felt like I was back in Venice.

It was very shallow at the mouth. Will it open up, or do I continue playing "Oh Solo Mio"?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTEMaybe this helps. See my additions in red......

Great map, thanks!

PS, you might want to draw "Grass Island" a little bigger. You could start up by the upper channel and have it go down to Strawberry and over to the .... well have it cover all of Anchor Bay.

I think I'm going to bring lawn chairs this year.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(EDBDBOAT @ May 12 2003, 02:56 PM)Great map, thanks!

PS, you might want to draw "Grass Island" a little bigger. You could start up by the upper channel and have it go down to Strawberry and over to the .... well have it cover all of Anchor Bay.

I think I'm going to bring lawn chairs this year.
As you will see by this chart with depths (low water datum depths) anchor bay has plenty of water. I was at Schmid for years and the bay is fine.

Attachments

·
LSCN Sponsor
142 Posts
QUOTE(EDBDBOAT @ May 11 2003, 12:55 AM)Is anyone familiar with this Marina? it's 2.5 miles north of Selfridge on the west side of Anchor Bay.

I'm in this marina and the entrance to the channel is only about 2 foot deep. Does anyone know if they dredge this channel? Or does it take a few unsuspecting boat owners using their spare props to clear it out?

You must be talking about the Salt river. It shallow going out into the lake but once your in the river for the most part your ok. But don't venture out of the channel markers going out of the Salt. Saturday when I came in a small sailboat was to far west of the red markers and ended up burying their keel in the sand. It took them a while to get off the sand. You will kick up sand as you leave the river.

Fordman

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are in the Salt River, if you are VERY careful there is enough water.

When they dredged years ago, they dumped the dirt on the left side and there are submerged pilings on the right so it is tight. I remember seeing boats hanging on the pilings. There was a good set of range markers and range lights. There is almost no water if you get get off the range line. I moved my boat from there there years ago, but I kept it in the Shipping Channel Marina for years. The last marina on the left before the river goes under the Jefferson Bridge.

There was a Shipping Channel restaurant near 21 MIle and Jefferson and their wells may still be called the Shipping Channel by the locals. Lots of luck on getting that dredged if that is what you are talking about.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I'm not totaly certain I'm in Salt River, judging by the responses in this thread I probably am. As I said earlier in this thread I'm new to this area. I had a Wriedt Maverick Jet boat when I was at Selfridge, 400 horse BB with 850 CFM Holley dbl barrel. So I really didn't worry about the draft. I could launch in a ditch and get up on plane if I wanted.
Open header's and only two seats and flat bottom made for the decision to change.

I went out early in the season, there wasn't a marker in sight. Perhaps now there is.

I'm pretty much on my keel in my slip, I have to "pole" out of the slip to start my engine. I had the drive fully up in trailer position, however once I put it in gear I hit something just outside my well ($68 prop repair on a brand new prop)
I have to "pole" my way out of my slip and into the channel, before I can start my engine.

From my slip to the bay I was fine, once I cleared the channel I was down to less than a foot, given the bay's swells I was bumping bottom and dinging my prop for a good 200 yards out.

I know this is going to be a popular refrain for all the boaters on Anchor bay, however I must say "paddling" out and back, running my drive full up, while tearing up my U-joints isn't going to make this a good season.

L&M Marine repair shares the parking lot with the Shipping hannel Marina. They are just North of the light on Jefferson, I honestly don't know the name of the cross road. John Sr. and his son run it, while Larry and his son run L&M. All of them great people. They've been very courteous and helpful to me.

I'm seriously considering moving it up to Caseville, I think Lake Huron is deep enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
QUOTEAnd miss all the fun!

There are other marinas that are deeper.

Beacon cove and Markleys for one!

I have been in Beacon Cove for five years and it is a very nice, well run marina. There is always at least six feet of water under the prop. Now if there was a safe, deep place to go.....

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, I went to the boat today and got my chart. Now I know I'm on Salt river.

Apparently I got hung up on the sand strip at the mouth. The bouys weren't out when i went out. I spoke to an "Ole Salt" at the marina and he gave me the low down on going out. I think i'll set my GPS up to guide me next time.

Thanks all for your help.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts