Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Just heard that 4 or 5 people were shot at the fireworks. That really sucks!
I hope everyone is okay. I'm sure that Girlie will see them shortly at the ER.

After all the positive things that have been going on in the city, this is a big black eye for Detroit. Apprently there were a dozen or so NFL representatives in town for the fireworks, to see first hand how Detroit can handle big events.

Hopefully, everything was handled well. It sounds like not many people were aware of what was happening, because it occured right at the beginning of the fireworks.

update : As many as 8 people were shot! Earlier they reported that one didn't make it, but they aren't confirming it.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
My Ex was giving me such a hard time for wanting to take my kids ... GOD, I hate it when he is right

SAD!

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Disgusting....they can't even behave themselves while others are trying to celebrate our freedom.

Prayers sent to the victims and their families.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Wow...we just got home from the fireworks....AWSOME display! Great weather, not a drop of rain. Just wish more would have taken their kids...oh well we had a good time.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
We just got back as well. Had a great time on the river and the LSCN raft looked awesome from where we were anchored. Perhaps next year we will be able to raft up with everyone.

AS for the shooting. I didnt hear about it until I read it here first. Here is what teh freep has to say............

8 people wounded in Hart Plaza shootings

Melee erupts in crowd as Freedom Festival begins

June 24, 2004

FREE PRESS STAFF

Gunfire rang out in a Hart Plaza packed with fireworks fans Wednesday night, injuring at least eight people.

Four men and four women were shot at the intersection of Woodward and Jefferson in the minutes after the 46th annual Marshall Field's Target fireworks began just after 10 p.m., police said.

Reports that one victim died at the scene were premature, said Detroit Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings late Wednesday. She said at least two people were in critical condition. The conditions of the other victims was uncertain.

Bully-Cummings said she did not know whether the shooter knew his victims and that the shootings were confined to a very small area.

The shootings sent crowds rushing from the intersection as the fireworks continued booming overhead. Police said an argument broke out, a man pulled out a gun and started shooting, then he dropped the gun and ran.

Sean Idowu, 22, of Detroit said his friend Louis Nelson, 22, also of Detroit, and Nelson's girlfriend were two of the victims.

"It wasn't even two minutes" into the fireworks, said Idowu. "The shooter fell to the ground and he started firing in all directions."

Police said they recovered the gun and had a good description of the suspect, who is 34 years old.

Bully-Cummings described the shootings as one unfortunate incident at a phenomenal fireworks display.

The violence shattered the pride city officials had expressed last week after a safe and secure Pistons parade along Jefferson.

On Wednesday night, it wasn't the shots -- muffled by the fireworks -- but the rushing crowds that signaled danger to those farther away. They picked up their blankets, grabbed children's hands and started heading for their cars.

Hyleah Clark, 17, of Inkster said she was standing underneath the Hart Plaza marquee when she heard four or five shots nearby. She looked over and saw one man down.

"I heard the shots and I saw the guy lying on the ground," she said as she left the area.

The crowds were so dense that emergency vehicles had difficulty reaching the victims. As soon as the show ended, police worked to move people safely out of the area.

During the 1991 fireworks show, a violent encounter between two white women and six black women was captured on videotape and broadcast around the nation.

Elaine Small, 45, of Dearborn Heights and Joanne Was, 43, of Farmington Hills were kicked and beaten and Was had a necklace stolen.

The melee came to symbolize black-white and city-suburban tensions after the tape was shown repeatedly on TV news programs.

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
From what they are saying on the radio this morning, it happened because of a couple of girls OR a pair of designer sunglasses. <_< Not able to confirm.

Pi$$es me off
One FN loser ruins what should have been a fun evening for everyone.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
They still have yet to catch them.

If they don't have him already, they likely never will. <_<

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Just awful about those 8 people, heard one didn't make it, just sucks!! That is one reason I don't go down to the fireworks anymore....taking the boat sounds like the only safe way to go these days!!

Glad everyone had fun!

Hope everyone made it home okay!!

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(DawnieDawn @ Jun 24 2004, 07:48 AM)Just awful about those 8 people, heard one didn't make it, just sucks!!
Actually they changed the story last night and said that there were no fatalities. 9 people were shot in all, at least two were released from the hospital already.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Typical Detroit
What else would you expect?

hmmmmm remind me why we should visit, and give a d*mn about Detroit ????

I cringe when I drive through Detroit, just in awe at the mess it is in, at the lack of civilized beings their.

·
Registered
233 Posts
From what I have heard and read, the shooter was firing randomly into the crowd. What a loose cannon this guy is. I hope they catch the SOB! My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Threecrabs nailed it on the head...disgusting...I am simply disgusted....

Yup, confirmed this morning by the Police Chief that nine people were shot, a twenty two year old actually flat lined, and they brought him back. The bullet pierced his heart, he is in critical condition.

The suspect is/was wearing a black shirt with a 2 Pac (sp?) logo on it, between the ages of 25-35 and he is african american.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Boss @ Jun 24 2004, 09:01 AM)The suspect is/was wearing a black shirt with a 2 Pac (sp?) logo on it, between the ages of 25-35 and he is african american.
Yeah, that really narrows it down in Detroit. <_<

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Was watching the 5am news, the Mayor was on,.....what a joke he is. The interview was intellectually lacking....

And think about it, some of these losers probably were sitting around, thinking it up, they actually think it is cool to be able to shoot people, and get away with it, heck the fireworks going off, and firecrackers and so much noise, that they can just shoot, and walk away, and sad to say, but those people are looked up to by their kind, sick ! sick ! sick !

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Jun 24 2004, 09:05 AM)QUOTE(Boss @ Jun 24 2004, 09:01 AM) The suspect is/was wearing a black shirt with a 2 Pac (sp?) logo on it, between the ages of 25-35 and he is african american.
Yeah, that really narrows it down in Detroit.

This morning they said the shirt was red.........make up my mind <_<

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(soosassy @ Jun 24 2004, 09:51 AM)This morning they said the shirt was red.........make up my mind

As if he'll be wearing the same shirt today.

Only way that info helps is if someone got him on tape or a picture.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
News traveled fast on land. I was right next door to the Omni hotel and the word got around that there was a shooting.

Traffic was hell on the way home. I even waited an hour and half before leaving and still sat in grid lock.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts