Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm, Darwinism at work?

2 missing as boat capsizes Search continues for man, boy on Lake St. Clair

5 people on a 14' jon boat, with maybe 3 life jackets, out on Lake St. Clair. The family of the boy has my sympathy, he's young and supposed to be stupid (I know I was at his age) - the "adults" are supposed to know better.

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
That is sad.I seen it on the news last night they said all were wearing life jackets but were not fastened properly and when they went in the water the life jackets came off.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Sad story.....but at the same thing you said why were there that many people in such a small boat. Rent two boat for christ sake.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
I think everyone should have to take a test before they are allowed into society.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I heard that boat is acutally rated for 5 people. I can see the law suits piling up already...

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Yup, pretty sad. I was involved with a search a couple of years ago out east, same sorta thing: too many people/too small a boat. Believe me, it's not a pretty sight when the bodies do surface.

As one Marine Patrol officer said to me " just natures way of cleaning up the gene pool". I know that it's sounds cold and unsympathetic, but this kind of accident happens all the time and can easily be prevented.

I never ever take anyone out on my boat without 1st showing where the life jackets, 1st aid and all the rest of the saftey equipment are stowed --right down to how to work the radio.

·
Registered
666 Posts
That is sad, and we should all learn something from it. I know that I will go out alone on my boat and leave the life jacket in the front storage locker and not attach the kill switch. I probably do wear the stuff more than many people since it is required in all tournaments when the engine is running.

Safety equipment doesn't do any good unless it is being used properly.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
The strangest part was when they interviewed a relative of the young boy & she said, "well, yes we are sad, but at least he died doing something he loved." Did anyone else see that?? I couldn't beleive it.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
It makes me sick. We've taken our kids out many times.
It's really not hard to properly fasten the life jackets around them and make sure their safe. It's just common sense. Why would you pile that many people in such a small boat? It's ashame that the kids had to pay the price for the adults being ignorant.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Top Gun @ May 19 2003, 11:58 AM)I heard that boat is acutally rated for 5 people. I can see the law suits piling up already...
Most boats are rated for people AND weight. The weight usually includes the equipment on board also.

I think the USCG rating for a person is 135 pounds.....about 100 pounds lighter than me.

Mini

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(damn yankee @ May 19 2003, 12:32 PM)I never ever take anyone out on my boat without 1st showing where the life jackets, 1st aid and all the rest of the saftey equipment are stowed --right down to how to work the radio.
This person is a safe boater....take heed, show your crew "how to" in case something happens to the captain.

Mini

1 - 15 of 15 Posts