Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
No one either seems to know the laws or just doesn't follow them, our seawall is taking a beating because of it, so a group of my neighbors is going to start taking pics, sending them to the Sheriff and posting them for all to see those that don't care to follow the laws.

This was taken just north of club island on the middle channel...the rule here is 26ft and over must maintain 600ft. from shore...as you can see he is not even close to being in the middle of the river.

MC 5778 SY

Here is the first one, the guy came off plane as soon as I came out with a camera and was taking pics, he did slow down.

Water Cloud Sky Boat Water resources

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think people are just not informed about the no wake zones. I've done graduate math classes, yet I've seen a couple different distance and ft. postings vs. wake allowable this week on this board and would have to study to get these parameters correct.

My first year of boating (as the captain, not with my dad-as usual) I would rip thru the north channel at 90mph- later I found out about the no wake zone.

I was just dumb/not informed.

I think this is the case with most people. I've been busted by the sheriff, and the distances and boat footage allowable for wake don't agree with other numbers I've seen posted here.

It should just be no wake for everbody, with big orange signs..........

·
Registered
168 Posts
The next question would be "How wide is the channel?", then there is only an x amount a channel where you can wake "50 yards, 50 feet, etc.", then what if a boat is coming in the opposite direction- in my way- in this x amount of channel where wake is allowed. Do I come off plane?

How wide is the middle channel?

When ever I've been in the channel, I'm looking at other boat traffic, my passengers, and just trying to drive in the middle of the channel, yet at times I'm sure I have violated the wake distances.

I understand your position as a property owner and the substantial capital you have obviously laid out to have that property. Seawalls ain't cheap, even in this economy.

I think most are just uninformed, or lacking judgement.

When I'm heading up the middle channel to browns, I'm just looking for other boats and docks........................

·
Registered
921 Posts
I agree with following the rules....

That said, count your blessings that old wooden breakwall has done it's job for so long and replace with steel.

tg.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Saw an incredible amount of violators in front of Beacon Cove yesterday. Only saw the Sheriff boat come over there once and they stopped a boat that appeared to be over loaded. Chatted for a minute with the Captain then jetted. If they would have hung around they could have ticketed several bass boaters and PWC's for blasting by the seawall within 40' of range. WOW. It was crazy!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(gunshow @ Jun 21 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think people are just not informed about the no wake zones. I've done graduate math classes, yet I've seen a couple different distance and ft. postings vs. wake allowable this week on this board and would have to study to get these parameters correct.

My first year of boating (as the captain, not with my dad-as usual) I would rip thru the north channel at 90mph- later I found out about the no wake zone.

I think this is the case with most people. I've been busted by the sheriff, and the distances and boat footage allowable for wake don't agree with other numbers I've seen posted here.

I agree that most people are not informed, but as a captain of a boat shouldn't you know the laws before you head out? I mean if you are driving in a car and going 80 in an unposted area, would you tell the cop that you didn't know that unposted areas are 55?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(Convincor @ Jun 22 2009, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Saw an incredible amount of violators in front of Beacon Cove yesterday. Only saw the Sheriff boat come over there once and they stopped a boat that appeared to be over loaded. Chatted for a minute with the Captain then jetted. If they would have hung around they could have ticketed several bass boaters and PWC's for blasting by the seawall within 40' of range. WOW. It was crazy!

The funny part is that there are docks sticking out you can't see in the pictures, boats buzz by the docks all the time. Especially some of the very long docks....if they only had an idea how shallow it is!!!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
QUOTE(Wildcard @ Jun 22 2009, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(gunshow @ Jun 21 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think people are just not informed about the no wake zones. I've done graduate math classes, yet I've seen a couple different distance and ft. postings vs. wake allowable this week on this board and would have to study to get these parameters correct.

I agree that most people are not informed, but as a captain of a boat shouldn't you know the laws before you head out? I mean if you are driving in a car and going 80 in an unposted area, would you tell the cop that you didn't know that unposted areas are 55?

why not? playing dumb works for most of america it seems. why stop now?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(troyguy @ Jun 22 2009, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I agree with following the rules....

That said, count your blessings that old wooden breakwall has done it's job for so long and replace with steel.

tg.

I hear ya on that, the seawall is fine right now and we hope to replace soon, but at $100+ a foot, it gets a little expensive in this economy!! But what about the people that don't have a seawall and have a rock wall or the real low wall that when a big boat buzzes it the water comes right over and floods there lawn? To be honest I don't have a problem if a 40 ft race boat goes down the river wide open (the wake is small) but when a boat that big is right next to shore it is just ignorance...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Jun 22 2009, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Wildcard @ Jun 22 2009, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(gunshow @ Jun 21 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think people are just not informed about the no wake zones. I've done graduate math classes, yet I've seen a couple different distance and ft. postings vs. wake allowable this week on this board and would have to study to get these parameters correct.

why not? playing dumb works for most of america it seems. why stop now?

Sad, but very true!! haha

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(Wildcard @ Jun 22 2009, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(gunshow @ Jun 21 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think people are just not informed about the no wake zones. I've done graduate math classes, yet I've seen a couple different distance and ft. postings vs. wake allowable this week on this board and would have to study to get these parameters correct.

I agree that the captain should know the law. But even with the ABYA map, it's not easy to judge which rule area you are in. Now, if they put channel markers, oh, 600 feet from shore, in areas where the 600 foot rule applies, I bet most folks would stay between them. I know I'd have a hard time telling 500 foot from 600 foot.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(Stodge @ Jun 22 2009, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Wildcard @ Jun 22 2009, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(gunshow @ Jun 21 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think people are just not informed about the no wake zones. I've done graduate math classes, yet I've seen a couple different distance and ft. postings vs. wake allowable this week on this board and would have to study to get these parameters correct.

I agree that the captain should know the law. But even with the ABYA map, it's not easy to judge which rule area you are in. Now, if they put channel markers, oh, 600 feet from shore, in areas where the 600 foot rule applies, I bet most folks would stay between them. I know I'd have a hard time telling 500 foot from 600 foot.

Totally agree and if someone was a distance off of shore it is one thing, maybe not legal, but trying. But I have seen it time after time when boats are 100 to 200 ft off shore just blasting by. I am not picking on just one person, but just sick of it, I have seen small fishing boats bailing out there boat next to shore because of this.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Jun 22 2009, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Saw an incredible amount of violators in front of Beacon Cove yesterday. Only saw the Sheriff boat come over there once and they stopped a boat that appeared to be over loaded. Chatted for a minute with the Captain then jetted. If they would have hung around they could have ticketed several bass boaters and PWC's for blasting by the seawall within 40' of range. WOW. It was crazy!

I've lost all respect for Bass boaters. Di and I were coming back into Beacon Thursday on the dinghy and not one but 2 a holes in a hurry to get in and out of Balfour launch buzzed withing 30' yes 30' of a ten foot dinghy. This was just before the entrance to Hideaway which is 350' to the launch but you have a breakwall right there within 100'.

Don't get me going on PWC in the Moot~had a confrontation with some aholes there yesterday.

There's my rant for Monday

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(fitsus @ Jun 22 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Convincor @ Jun 22 2009, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Saw an incredible amount of violators in front of Beacon Cove yesterday. Only saw the Sheriff boat come over there once and they stopped a boat that appeared to be over loaded. Chatted for a minute with the Captain then jetted. If they would have hung around they could have ticketed several bass boaters and PWC's for blasting by the seawall within 40' of range. WOW. It was crazy!

I've lost all respect for Bass boaters. Di and I were coming back into Beacon Thursday on the dinghy and not one but 2 a holes in a hurry to get in and out of Balfour launch buzzed withing 30' yes 30' of a ten foot dinghy. This was just before the entrance to Hideaway which is 350' to the launch but you have a breakwall right there within 100'.

Don't get me going on PWC in the Moot~had a confrontation with some aholes there yesterday.

There's my rant for Monday

Haha, I guess this topic was my rant. I hear ya though, gets a little scary when someone gets that close.

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
The Coast Guard was pulling people over just south Browns.
They were cherry picking anyone who pulled out of Browns and got on it.
I heard them Waawaawaa all day long.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(Taxman @ Jun 22 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Coast Guard was pulling people over just south Browns.

The sheriff has been working that area very hard this year, the last 3 weekends they have been spending hours there. For the first time I saw the sheriff have a boat pulled over and another one coming by and wave the second boat down. He had both boats pulled over for about a half hour. And now they have a dnr boat with a large outboard and a jack plate on the back to go after the fisherman and jetski's that run through the marsh areas!!!

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Sorry I still
Mini and know there are very safe fishermen/women out there....

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
QUOTE(Taxman @ Jun 22 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Coast Guard was pulling people over just south Browns.

We saw them sitting there just waiting, i wonder how many they got.

QUOTE(Wildcard @ Jun 22 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And now they have a dnr boat with a large outboard and a jack plate on the back to go after the fisherman and jetski's that run through the marsh areas!!!
We didnt see that one yesterday, but its a good spot to sit also

·
Registered
921 Posts
QUOTE(Wildcard @ Jun 22 2009, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(troyguy @ Jun 22 2009, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I agree with following the rules....

tg.

But what about the people that don't have a seawall and have a rock wall or the real low wall that when a big boat buzzes it the water comes right over and floods there lawn?

Might be time to re-evaluate priorities......

With higher water levels it's going to be a problem. A 40ft Tiara (which is small in some cases) can go down the middle of the channel at 30knots (perfectly legal) and the waves will come right over that wall.

What are you going to do? Get red-faced and run and grab a camera everytime a boat goes by? Doesn't sound like a relaxing time to me.

just saying....

tg.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts