Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone shed some light on the validity of this?? Got it through an e-mail.

... A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago and totaled her car. A resident of Kilgore, Texas, she was traveling between Gladewater & Kilgore.

It was raining, though not excessive, when her car suddenly began to hydroplane and literally flew through the air. She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence! When she explained to the highway patrolman what had happened he told her something that every driver should know -NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON. She had thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain. But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on and your car begins to hydroplaned - when your tires loose contact with the pavement your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed and you take off like an airplane.. She told the patrolman that was exactly what had occurred.

We all know you have little or no control over a car when it begins to hydroplane. You are at the mercy of the Good Lord. The highway patrol estimated her car was actually traveling through the air at 10 to 15 miles per hour faster than the speed set on the cruise control. The patrolman said this warning should be listed, on the drivers seat sun-visor - NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT IS WET OR ICY along with the airbag warning.

We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control and drive a safe speed but we don't tell them to use the cruise control only when the pavement is dry. The only person the accident victim found who knew this (besides the patrolman) was a man who had had a similar accident, totaled his car and sustained severe injuries.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
http://hoaxinfo.com/cruise.htm

First Published November, 2002

An e-mail chain letter is circulating because someone had a close call due to the use of cruise control on a wet and slippery road. This warning is valid. The Department of Transportation recommends you turn off overdrive as well if you have an automatic transmission. Both of these features take the complete control of the vehicle out of your hands. Cruise control is especially dangerous to use in any slippery situation: Rain, snow or ice. That's because most cruise controls are designed for normal, dry conditions and the car cannot sense when the wheels are spinning uselessly. If your car begins to carreen out of control the cruise control will continue to accelerate as it tries to maintain a set speed. It could easily put your car into a sideways spin and cause the vehicle to flip.

With that said let me also remind everyone that forwarding chain letters randomly around the Internet is not the best way to inform people. There are numerous other important tips for driving in wet or snowy conditions that could save lives, but I don't recommend a chain letter for each one of these either (like the use of Overdrive, for instance). Some of us will get this message 50 times and others will never see it. Further, many people think they know all there is to know about cars and won't believe it anyway.

Instead let me recommend that if you have a relative or friend who drives a great deal, or who is automotively challenged, then send them to the following site to bone up on some safety tips for winter.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Zesty,
I would believe it man. Sounds right. When the car starts to hydroplane, then the wheels would spin faster, due to less resistance. The water is acting as a lubricant at that point. I would take the advice that you have from the article.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
QUOTE(Zesty @ Nov 29 2003, 09:45 AM)Can anyone shed some light on the validity of this?? Got it through an e-mail.

...But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on and your car begins to hydroplaned - when your tires loose contact with the pavement your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed and you take off like an airplane.. She told the patrolman that was exactly what had occurred.

We all know you have little or no control over a car when it begins to hydroplane. You are at the mercy of the Good Lord. The highway patrol estimated her car was actually traveling through the air at 10 to 15 miles per hour faster than the speed set on the cruise control.
I know from experience what hydroplaning is all about, and what happens when a vehicle looses traction with the cruise control on,but, to say that your car speeds up when hydroplaning?? Loose traction and continue to accelerate? Doesn't make sense. Reducing the amount of force that you push an object (loosing traction), causes that objects velocity to decrease. Anything else and it violates Newton"s 1st and 2nd laws of motion if I remember my physics classes correctly. And flying thru the air??? Since when does a loss of traction cause you car to lift off like an airplane? I can believe it at 200mph in a race car, but not at 70!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey yankee - I hear ya on the "flyin' " stuff! In general, I was looking to see if the traction issue was valid. Thanks for he responses!!

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
QUOTE(damn yankee @ Nov 29 2003, 12:54 PM)And flying thru the air??? Since when does a loss of traction cause you car to lift off like an airplane? I can believe it at 200mph in a race car, but not at 70!

totally agree

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Isn't your speedometer run off of your transmission output speed sensor. I could understand the tires continueing to spin at whatever speed your cruise was set at, but I don't believe they wouldn't spin any faster than that... Think of when you are spinning your tires on ice or snow. Your speedometer rises to the speed the tires are turning...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(TheWiz @ Nov 29 2003, 04:33 PM)Isn't your speedometer run off of your transmission output speed sensor. I could understand the tires continueing to spin at whatever speed your cruise was set at, but I don't believe they wouldn't spin any faster than that... Think of when you are spinning your tires on ice or snow. Your speedometer rises to the speed the tires are turning...
Wiz the tires will speed up momentarily because the cruise control cannot react fast enough when traction is suddenly lost. It is designed to make slight smooth adjustments. An uncontrolled increase of tire speed then decrease of tire speed when the cruse does "catch up", wile you have little to no traction is an excellent way to loose control.

I have had a few scary moments wile pulling a snowmobile trailer using the CC. Nothing like the a$$ end of the truck going sideways on you, wile pulling 7000lbs of trailer, sleds and gear.

I don't know about you guys but I read my boring owners manuals. Every vehicle that I have owned with CC has said in the manual DO NOT use the CC in slippery conditions.

Hydroplaning out of control YES. Flying trough the air…. maybe if she skipped off of a burm or curb.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
QUOTE(Boater2be @ Nov 29 2003, 05:02 PM)I don't know about you guys but I read my boring owners manuals. Every vehicle that I have owned with CC has said in the manual DO NOT use the CC in slippery conditions.
Real Men Don't Need Instructions!
j/k

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(TheWiz @ Nov 29 2003, 05:10 PM)QUOTE(Boater2be @ Nov 29 2003, 05:02 PM)

I don't know about you guys but I read my boring owners manuals. Every vehicle that I have owned with CC has said in the manual DO NOT use the CC in slippery conditions.
Real Men Don't Need Instructions!
j/k

Yup!! When ALL else fails.......read the instructions!

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I always read the instructions....
That's how I know everything

Don't forget, when it first starts raining the road is slippery because it mixes with the oils and grease on the road. After a good down pour you are good to go, unless you are driving like Hammer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts