Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK

Beside economical reasons can anyone give me any good reasons why I should spend 10 to 15k for a second screw. A lot of salesmen could not give a good enough answer this past weekend.

G

·
If your talking "go-fast" I wouldn't want the extra maintinance. Besides if you read all the reviews on powerboats, Most singles go almost, if not, just as fast as a two engine boats.

But, That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts

Yea but for 15k Your boat can sound a ton cooler and you can pay a hell of alot more at the pumps! I think it's reidiculus too.

G

·
The pros of twins:
They are easier to dock and maneuver in tight spots, which is nice if you have to deal with wind and currents. You have the insurance of a second engine if you have engine trouble, possibly saving you from having to pay an outrageous towing bill. They're necessary to get any performance out of a bigger boat, say 30'+. You can powerload twice as fast (haha).

Cons:
Additional cost of fuel, double cost of engine maintenance, they're heavier, they'll usually give you a lot less room to work on them (PITA if you do your own maintenance, possibly more costly if you have someone else do it), less (or no) storage space in engine room, could double the cost of repair items (think 2 drives/props/couplers,etc, when you hit shallow water…) An example of higher costs is the no-drip trim pump caps. They seem like a no brainer at $7.95 per, but I need 4, oil changes require 16 qts, prop reconditioning X 2, etc.

I've got twins in a true 27' boat (28'11" loa) and a single was never offered in it. Formula replaced this model with a 27'1" loa model and only sold it with a single. I'll probably always have twins because my next boat will probably be bigger and I'm already about at the cutoff for single engine apps. Engine access absolutely sucks, fuel costs are higher, but I try to do as much of my own maintenance to save there. If I were buying new (which I won't) in the same size I have now, I'd probably go with a big single. The newer stepped hulls are more efficient and you shouldn't have to worry too much about engine troubles with a new boat under warranty. I'd definitely buy unlimited towing insurance though.

·
12,052 Posts
Good job Bill (as usual, all though you could have left out the power loading line), but now my turn. If you talking cruiser expecially over 30' there is NO QUESTION that twins is the only way to go. The addition beam you get with length offers more space (usually still not enough) to work on them. I know someone that has a 28 (30'oa) cruiser with a 454 duo prop and they have a hard time getting on and staying on plane. They had to install jumbo trim tabs just to stay on plane in a strong head wind. My beam is 13'6" so room isn't really a problem, but anything 10' or wider should give you enough room to access everything. I had twin 454's in my 37' offshore and could still change the plugs. There is no argument backing into a slip is WAY easier with twins. I can back my 'tuna boat' into any spot that gives me at least a couple inches per side. As far as the gas goes, use my theory. If you can afford the big boat.....you can afford the gas.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
And don't forget resale value - no matter what you personally decide, most buyers of good sized boats (say true 27' or larger) expect twins.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Only thing I can add to this is the saying "You can make a fast boat go slow, but you cant make a slow boat go fast."

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Feb 19 2003, 07:31 PM)All good points!!

Thanks

What's power loading? Is it a hole shot?
Its a post that holds the record on this board for being the longest. Actually not only the longest but the most typing I have ever seen on any board on this site. Convincor is responsible for that one and Bill272 kept egging people on. DJKimmel from the fishing board typed quite a few novels in the thread.

For real its when you only back the trailer part way into the water than gun the boat engine and drive up the trailer. The prop wash erodes the bottom of the ramp away, making that process illegal.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Feb 19 2003, 07:31 PM)All good points!!

Thanks

What's power loading? Is it a hole shot?
hammer, you have the floor.....

and god jobs, bill, hammer, ....

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Going from an 18' trailerable Sea Ray cuddy cabin with a 6' beam and a single 140 hp Merc. to a true 27' 7" (32 LOA) with a 10' beam and twin 5.7's at 260 hp each, I dont have any experience in between. (So much for the 3footitis disease).

We looked at the pro's and con's of the single verses the twin, all of which have been mentioned above, and after talking with many boaters in similar sizes, deceided that the twins were the way to go for the size and comfort. No problem gettin gup on plane and always have one to limp back to port on. It costs more, but we felt it was justifiable. We wanted a cruiser, especially with 2 little one's, and not a go-faast, so it fit us just right.

I am looking forward to learning how to use both screws in docking, as the slip we have at HCN is right up against the wall. It is the largest one there, (#71) and I have a feeling until I get the hang of it, I will need every inch. Any volunteers to help teach.... I can pay in beer)

·
12,052 Posts
Main thing to remember...DON'T touch the steering wheel. Do it all with shifters. Pretend your driving a tank. Second MOST important...wind direction. If the wind is blowing across the well (like 90 degrees or close) always back into the wind. If you back with the wind, it will continue to carry your bow too far and 'CRASH' into the poles. If you back into the wind, you have the control of your stern and bow. B.T.W. Three Bud lights per lesson. I can back my boat into anything, anywhere, anytime.

G

·
QUOTE(interceptor @ Feb 19 2003, 12:43 PM)Hey Bill,
you forgot this additional advantage for having twin engines. Something breaks on one engine you get to play mind games with yourself debating the merits of replacing the failed part on the other engine

ed
Ed, I don't have to worry about the mind games because my wallet usually barges in and tells my mind that the other engine is fine, just fine, nothing to see here, just a fluke, go about your business and get this thing to a gas station.

Hammer, "I can back into anything, anywhere, anytime." is such a perfect softball toss of a set-up that I can't even think of a comeback.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just go my new issue of "go boating" and you'll be all happy to know you could qualify as an Editor there. The article stated everything you all have.

I especially like the comment from here..."you can make a fast boat go slow, but not a slow boat fast"
Thanks all

Sorry for being an idiot on powerloading can you cut me a learning curve?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Feb 20 2003, 12:19 PM)B.T.W. Three Bud lights per lesson. I can back into anything, anywhere, anytime.
It's a deal teach. We'll be talking soon. I promise.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(Bill272 @ Feb 20 2003, 02:40 PM)Hammer, "I can back into anything, anywhere, anytime." is such a perfect softball toss of a set-up that I can't even think of a comeback.
There, I changed it to my boat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts