Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i fish with someone and they get a hit, they go into a body and mind spastic. Meaning they get so excited there blood pressure goes off the chart. I use to be like that and than one day I controlled it, and I lose alot less fish because of it. I guess what i'm trying to say is relax when you get a fish on and there's your SKILL LEVEL going up a notch. I know I know I sound crazy but it's true the more you stay in control the better your chance's are of landing that baby and your mistake zone goes way down. Usually the person I fish with scream's GET THE NET!!!!! the moment he gets the hit I know there's plenty of time for that, and it's automatic anyways. My point is just try and relax do all the things right meaning give with the run, use your rod as leverage, pick up line when you have to, don't horse, never horse, ( chance's of losing increase on the horse right ). So just one time when your out there try and control your emotions when you bring that fish in and you'll see you'll lose alot less fish.

h2o<----says try and relax call upon the inner self.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I lose less fish when I fish for fun, than when I fish competetively. Why? Because I don't care if I lose a fish when I fish for fun... I don't horse 'em , I take my time, and enjoy the moment. This year, I'm going to take a completely different approach to my competetive fishing and just take my time and have fun.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like that thinking, I always fish for fun also. Your right just take your time and enjoy the moment. And like you said you lose less fish that way. Learning that no horse rule is where it's at.

h2o<--- see that SKILL LEVEL rise.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I found a few years back to teach yourself control, throw a top water bait like a pop-r. Dont get me wrong, I still get excited when I see the strike, but i've learned to "feel" the fish not just set the hook as a reaction.

I have a ball fishin with people that aren't used to fishing with top waters. Especially when the fish are real aggressive and they hit all the way to the boat. Splash, miss. Splash, miss. Splash, miss. You learn a new vocabulary when fishin with those people!

·
Registered
117 Posts
In my experience I found that I needed to fish the same in practice as I did in the tournament. I became good at being the angler I practiced to be and everytime I decided to switch styles on tournament day I didn't do too well fishing differently than I practiced. You become good at the skills and styles you practice. I decided it was best to play the same game I practiced.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
H2o Your trying to take all the fun out of fishing. Jump up and down if you want to I do. It should would have been a lot of years of doing something with no fun in it for me. So what if you lose a fish. Everyone one does. Lighten up and enjoy it. You only get to go around once. If it didn't excite me I would quit fishing and take up sleeping. Bob

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Bob Oh No not trying to take the fun out of it that's funny. All I'm saying is keep the earthquake under 7.0 on the rictor scale lol How can losing fish be fun, sure it happens and that's ok, but keeping it to a minimal is where it's at. See bob i'm trying to make it more fun especially in tournaments when $$'s are on the line. So don't get me wrong when i say stay in control and landing more fish will be the fun.
LOL now be good.

h2o<---says raise your SKILL LEVEL (not you bob)

·
Registered
739 Posts
I think h20 brings up a good point. I know I lost a good fish in the state fish-off because I horsed it to the boat. I should have used my rod to fight the fish instead of my reel.

During Kim Strickers presentation, I learned the importance of back-reeling, which I can honestly say I've never done, but plan to try this year. Are most of you guys back-reeling big smallies?

·
Registered
927 Posts
back reeling can be tricky. it sounds easy enough but i have been playing around with it for about 5 years now and i still suck at it.

takes practice.

i prefer to just let my rod and drag work for me.

play around with back reeling. if you get a good feel for it and practice it you should have no problem. its not for everyone tho

madman himself

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I have back reeling down. Practice on land with someone holding on your line with a sinker or practice plug. I've practiced alot on land. You don't want to practice with a fish on. But you can of course. I mostly back reel when i have a big fish close to the boat and he doesn't want to give up. Back reeling will assist on him not pulling off the hook. See it's really hard to practice when you have the hog on because all you want to do is land that baby. Give it a try on land for practice. Like anything once you get use to it it's easy. It's really not that hard.

h2o<---says you'll master it in no time. Practice on land!!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
O.K. H20. I can't back reel mu reels don't work that way. Now WHAT???
You know who.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pull line off by hand.

h2o<---figured it out.
lol

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm pretty much at the point now where I can stay in control most of the time.

The exception? BIG MUSKY!!! I had 5 good Musky on my bait while bass fishing last season and I FREAKED OUT!!!

Needless to say, the score is Musky 5, East Coast 0. I lost every one.... But man, what an adrenaline rush!!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
You still have to fish with me Marke. We will jump up and down together and land the fish anyhow. Bob

·
Registered
39 Posts
Control! What's that? None here. Ever!

But I do find that once I get a fish on the net, I never seem to lose them.
Maybe it's just me. LOL

Bish

·
Registered
175 Posts
Control? I just horse them and and flip them into the boat and keep chunkin. Or you can use a 7-6 foot heavy power flippin stick, a Daiwa TDX reel some 30 lb Fireline...and just yank em out...

i'm just messin H2O...

I have to agree...you have to keep your composure...but think about all the funny memories that we'll miss out on of our fishing partners goin nuts and doin somethin ridiculous...

I think the most skill level is involved in lures with trebles, like crankbaits and jerkbaits and topwaters. Those are a pain and you have to know how to fight a fish so they dont throw those baits. I beleive equipment has alot to do with it also. There are now crankbait rods made especially for that kind of stuff with softer more moderate actions. I just picked up my new crankbait rod and I cant wait to try it....

God bless,

Jose

1 - 18 of 18 Posts