Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out 7-8 and 7-9. Skunked both days.
On thursday we started out in front of selfridge and trolled all the
way down to the yacht club.....tryied everything I know. Fast then slow.....10 feet of water to the channel....nothing.
Friday started at the spillway. Ended up with three rips and caught
a garbage bag some pig left in the water! We trolled down to the dumps and back....every depth, slow and fast....every lure I have.

I hate being Skunked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
MHJ Being skunked is part of Muskie fishing. I haer people say they catch fish every time out and all I can say is I don't believe it. If they didn't give us a bad time now and then their mystic would be gone. We all hate to be skunked but it is the nature of the game we play with the Muskie. Next time you could pop 20 fish or more. Good Fishing. Bob

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thats the thing with Muskys.....why they are so fun to
catch too!
I got spoiled from the first few trips.

Fish of a thousand casts.

Even the worst day fishing is better than the best day working!!!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Jul 12 2004, 09:07 AM)MHJ Being skunked is part of Muskie fishing. I haer people say they catch fish every time out and all I can say is I don't believe it. If they didn't give us a bad time now and then their mystic would be gone. We all hate to be skunked but it is the nature of the game we play with the Muskie. Next time you could pop 20 fish or more. Good Fishing. Bob

Not the only one. Saturday we harvested weeds on the mile roads. Picked up one at the dumps. Sunday - Nada.
Agree Bob, if we nailed em everytime we would not love it as much. Marked lot's of fish Sunday but they were low. Boat traffic was unreal and I think the fish reacted to that. Next time. Have a good week - are you booked all week, would love to hear some reports.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We picked up one on Saturday in 4 hours of trolling Anchor Bay. The weeds were keeping us busy, as were the bugs...they coated the bottom of my boat by the time we were done.

If you haven't invested in planer boards yet, I highly recommend them. This is my 3rd year muskie fishing and the first one (so far) that we haven't gotten skunked because I just got a pair of boards. Give 'em a try!

·
Registered
109 Posts
In the last two weeks (my vacation)
I (and the people on my boat) caught and released
about 40 - 45 muskies (4 over 20 lbs). I think that I was skunked 4 days out of 14, and only caught 1 or 2 a couple of days too, then of course there were great days as well. for me the longer that I stick at it the better it gets. All fish were caught in between the spillway and the dumps, and 15-16 ft of water was best. maisons muskie killers (perch pattern) 4 oz/ 20-30 ft was best.
only three fish off of the planer boards!
(but I only ran them three days) boat rods and down rods took the rest.
Things seem to be slowing in the area, but I am sure that you can still get them in that area if you try.
Next weekend I will try the south shore for the first time this year, I will post my results (with no b.s.)
Oh yea, last year I was doing great right up to the last week in augast (about one fish per hour of trolling)
, then I went the next 6 weeks for 2 or 3 fish!

·
Registered
56 Posts
MUSKIE JUNKIE, you said that last year the musky turned off for you in late August, where were you fishing? I am trying to come up with some of my own patterns, and had a lousy year, until Labor day, and then I really started to hit them.

I have been out a number of times this season and only put one in the boat so far. I'm thinking about getting some boards myself, everyone I talk to says its worth it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
gotanewboat, last season (after augast) I was fishing the south shore from the hump to pike creek
(with no luck) but others were cathing fish in the same area

I ended up the year picking up a few in front of gpyc
in oct and nov.
I hope to have a better fall this year, but I can't complain about the action right now!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts