Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Jameson Cook, Macomb Daily Staff Writer June 26, 2003

A state conservation sergeant says his officers will crack down on public nudity Friday during the annual Jobbie Nooner party on Gull Island.
Sgt. David Rock said his handful of officers will be looking for women who show off body parts they wouldn't reveal at a shopping mall or restaurant, and are in violation of state indecency laws.

"We're going to start enforcing it early," Rock said. "That stuff has gotten crazy and out of hand. Go to a strip joint for that stuff, not Gull Island."

The conservation officers in the Department of Natural Resources are only part of the large contingent of police who will patrol around the Lake St. Clair island on Friday to monitor the 28th annual boating bash. The uninhabited island is owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and located near Muscamoot Bay and Harsens Island.

Rock said he has the support of the other law enforcement agencies, which in the past have not focused on enforcing public nudity, instead concentrating on nabbing drunken and reckless boaters.

At the event thousands of partiers cruise to the island on hundreds of boats, anchoring in the water and partying on the beach. Alcoholic beverages flow, and several bands are scheduled to perform this year. Like Mardi Gras, women are given beads for showing their breasts or dancing naked or scantily clad.

This year, Jobbie Nooner organizers met with law enforcement officials and the owners of the island, the Army Corps of Engineers, to establish some rules, such as providing two access paths for emergency vessels among the rafted recreational boats, a private security team and possibly space for a helicopter to land.

Discouraging public nudity is not one of the guidelines, but Rock insisted his officers will arrest anyone being indecent. He said officers will halt Jobbie Nooner's famous trampoline,on which topless women bounce.

"People will come off that trampoline," he said.

Rock said he is not worried about a backlash by partiers who argue that the nudity is harmless. Rock said the nudity has led to sex acts at the event.

Moreover, Rock said, the event is getting "bigger and bigger" and could become an ongoing problem all summer on an island that is supposed to be used for "passive recreation," according to Lynn Duerod of the Army Corps.

Organizers started "Jobbie Nooner 2" party late last summer, and this year's event has turned into a weekend affair, with an after-party at the Beach Grill in St. Clair Shores and an "After Nooner" on Saturday at the Hayloft Liquor Stand in Mount Clemens, says the Jobbie Nooner Web site. A downriver version of the event is planned for July 25 to 27, according to the Web site.

"I'm not trying to be the Gestapo, but people can have fun without it," he said. "At the rate it's going, people aren't going to be able to bring their family here for recreation."

With the DNR, the St. Clair and Macomb counties marine divisions, Clay Township police, U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. Border Patrol will cruise in their speed boats and personal watercraft around the island.

Officials from those agencies said they wouldn't look specifically for indecent activity but will support the DNR officers. Officers in past Jobbie Nooners have stayed off the island unless needed.

"If we see something, we'll go in a group on the island," Rock said.

Officials said there's been more reports of drug use during Jobbie Nooner and may try to crack down on it.

The Army Corps created the island in the early 1900s by disposing of dredge from the St. Clair River. It was under water for many years but low water levels have made it an attractive location for boaters to visit and relax.

Duerod said Army Corps officials had considered transferring ownership to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service but that appears unlikely for now.

Army Corps officials instigated the meeting between Jobbie Nooner organizers and law enforcement officials after party organizers last year added the second date, Duerod said.

"This is a unique situation, there's nothing like it on Army Corps property in the country," Duerod said.

Army Corps officials had talked about requiring organizers to obtain a permit but that would raise liability concerns both for the Army Corps and the permit holder.

Jobbie Nooner began as an affair among a few boaters who were off work or left work early to kick off the summer.

Since then, Jobbie Nooner has grown substantially, posting photographs on its Web site and securing sponsors who advertise on the site.

A volunteer group is placing trash cans on the island for the event and will help clean up afterward.

©The Macomb Daily 2003

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
here's my opinion: jn is fun, but now it's like how the NFL is, with sponsorship, etc...how dumb. i mean, they're taking out ads in papers-not necessary. that, to me, is ruining what jn is/was about.

now good fun has turned into a big to do about nothing.

oh well....just my .02 !

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree CK.....back in the day it was REAL jobbies pulling a nooner to hang with friends.....I would be willing to bet half of the people there couldnt tell you what a jobbie is.

Mini

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Maybe I'm an old fart (at 35), but I've never been to JN, and really have no desire to go. My time on the boat is for relaxation and fun with friends old and new, not for worrying about whether some drunken fool is going to mess up my property. As for boobs, well, my wife has the perfect ones for me and I get to see'em every day.

The perfect place to be on JN is in the 'Moot or Put-In-Bay - far away from all the drunks and druggies on Gull.

As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
This is exactly why I choose not to go this year. It's far different than even 3 years ago, which was the 1st time that I went. Once it went "comercial" and money got involved, it ruined the whole idea.

·
Registered
83 Posts
being a jobbie myself since "88" when the party was @ fisher bay (anyone remember that??) i seen it grow out of hand as far as being jobbie party. i still go and bring many
of my peeps watch them have fun but its not a jobbie party
its like a s.e. michigan party or a mid west party.
me and the peeps i work with are going to do our own nooner in july. this will be a jobbie party of our own!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Jun 26 2003, 09:26 AM)He said officers will halt Jobbie Nooner's famous trampoline,on which topless women bounce.

"People will come off that trampoline," he said.
I would love to see this
......you can't get close to that thing there is so many people around it. If they go in there and bust it up there going to cause a roit.....they better bring a sh$t ton of cops. This guy makes me

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I don't know guys......I'm almost happy I decided not to go tomorrow.

I don't even feel like I'll be missing out on anything at all - but for you guys that are going - have a great time and be safe.

A trampoline out there? I never saw that one...

·
Registered
954 Posts
all the laws on the water are DNR's. They have more power than anyone out there. Checking on the status of the fisherman is a very small part of there job.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So what if someone sees a boob or two? If this "conservation sergeant", or whatever, feels the need to come onto the island and do something, he should crack down on the litterbugs instead of trying to be the gestapo and taking people off the trampoline. Look at how much litter there is at JN, and he didn't say one word about ticketing litterbugs in that whole article.

Conservation of what?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I myself hate to go on that Island. I have not been in contact with our office but would guess that they will try to stop it before they start using the trampoline. I think he was stateing the law. enforceing it is another thing. There is so much going on that the island is very tough to control.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(pinemartin @ Jun 26 2003, 10:47 AM)being a jobbie myself since "88" when the party was @ fisher bay (anyone remember that??) i seen it grow out of hand as far as being jobbie party. i still go and bring many
of my peeps watch them have fun but its not a jobbie party
its like a s.e. michigan party or a mid west party.
me and the peeps i work with are going to do our own nooner in july. this will be a jobbie party of our own!

i am a jobbie, been since 88 also, i remember fisher's bay

i have voiced many things on this in previous/numerous posts....

the kids are out of control. and drug use, well i personally have never seen any, but with the kids (not the jobbies)
i wouldn't doubt it too much

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Gary864 @ Jun 26 2003, 01:11 PM)I myself hate to go on that Island. I have not been in contact with our office but would guess that they will try to stop it before they start using the trampoline. I think he was stateing the law. enforceing it is another thing. There is so much going on that the island is very tough to control.
You can't control people, this is s free country.
Control is to me a communist/dictator term...
Saddam controlled his people
I just dislike the word control in certain text........

A boob never killed anyone........

Drugs, on the other hand, drunk operation of a water vessell, litter, that is worth patrolling, but boobs....

i don't see why we have to be told what is and isn't good for us, in this day and age, year 2003

just my .02

i can't even make this year, been going since it was in fishers bay, and always have fun, but i am with good people, wich most are, you have a handful out of 2,000
that you should keep an eye out for

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Fast~Eddie @ Jun 26 2003, 02:55 PM)A boob never killed anyone........

Drugs, on the other hand, drunk operation of a water vessel, litter, that is worth patrolling, but boobs....

3crabs likes patrolling for boobs,

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't see how tearing down the trampoline and causing a drunken riot is conducive to keeping the peace. That guy in the paper is just trying to make a name for himself.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts