Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Slow day today 9-03-22

1K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  saugtom 
#1 ·
Went out this morning with my grandson and one of my buddies on his boat and it was very slow today out there. Started out and it was one beautiful day. We started out in the shallows behind Selfridge and we were targeting bass. Did not get anything there. We then went over to the Clinton River and fished in the river and out in the lake near the point there and I picked up one smallie that weighed in at 4.25 pounds. Caught him on a dink perch that I caught to use for bait.
We then went over to the Brandenburg Park area close to shore and the water was pretty murky there. We set our bait down into the water about 6" & could no longer see it, so we got out of there. We ended up out in line from the Selfridge launch ramp, in 11-12 FOW. Water was clean and pretty rough by the time of day with all the boat traffic out there on the lake. Ended up picking up another smallie on a dink perch. Not worth weighing but measured about 16". Ended the day woth just those two bass and four perch. Had one rod out while drifting so I can catch some dink perch for bass bait. This was the only thing that we caught a bass on. Dink perch about 4" long. We tried tubes, jerk baits, crank baits, dropshots with plastic, Mr. Twister, and nothing worked other than the dink perch live bait.
Very slow day for catching fish, but always better than my best day at work that I ever had before I retired!!! Might try near Grassy Island tomorrow for some perch in that area if the rain holds off in the A.M.

See less See more
#9 ·
I used to sneak out of this area and go to Lake Simcoe in Canada for a few days during their Thanksgiving weekend. Cannot beat the perch that you get over there and plenty of 'em. I have not gone for awhile now, and with their Covid rules, I think it's a real PITA to get there to fish, then get back into the states when your are ready to come home. I may try to get over there next year with a few guys. We used to go with 6 of us. Three guys two boats, two rooms two nights & three days. What a blast!! Had our own little contest going. We counted only 12" or bigger perch, & my boat lost the last time we were there 76 perch to 75 perch. Biggest went to my buddy 14-3/4".

#11 ·
LOL You will never see pictures from me on here or anywhere else on the internet simply because I do not have the knowledge on how to do it. All I have is a little flip phone (for which I get teased a lot by everyone I know). I don't even know if I can post a picture anywhere with a flip phone, and if I could, I really would not know how, But I can always guarantee you this: Even though I do not post any pictures, I always will give an honest report on here and other sites that I go on, whether I have a great, good or bad day. I know without pictures, some guys will doubt what I post sometimes, but I cannot do anything about that. When I am with my grandson, he will post a few pictures every now and then. He knows how & he has a "smart phone". LOL

#12 ·
lggyw...That's some great perch numbers you caught in Canada. But for the same reasons you mentioned(covid restrictions) you'll not catch me in Canada anytime soon.
I feel your pain when it comes to using the phone. Though I can take pics., I don't know how to post them via the phone. My G-son always took pics on our LSC trips and sends them to me. Saugtom sends me a bunch more.

#13 ·
lggyw...That's some great perch numbers you caught in Canada. But for the same reasons you mentioned(covid restrictions) you'll not catch me in Canada anytime soon.
I feel your pain when it comes to using the phone. Though I can take pics., I don't know how to post them via the phone. My G-son always took pics on our LSC trips and sends them to me. Saugtom sends me a bunch more.
I can take a picture with my phone and send it to another phone, but I just cannot post a picture on line. When someone sends me a picture to my phone, it is about 1/2" X 1/2" square and I cannot enlarge it. It's because I have a flip phone but that's all I need. $150.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.