Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Slugfest on in Bassmasters Tour event

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Mac 
#1 ·
All Star Pro Staffer Zell Rowland holds the lead even after catching the smallest weight of the top 6 that are fishing today. Zell still maintains a 6 pound lead over Vandam, Davis and Evers. If Edwin Evers didnt miscount (MAC See it happens to everyone) his fish, he would be behind by about a pound. It had to hurt letting a 7 pounder go!

This happened last year on the federation, a team brought in one too many fish and the biggest bass is removed and that is the only penalty. Should there be an additional penalty for bringing too many fish to the scales?

Mini

#2 ·
Mini, we had this same situation come up last year in one of our events. They came in with and extra fish at Bolles harbor, our first Michigan Lake Erie event. The penalty was and is now part of our by-laws: "The extra fish and the largest fish in the box goes back in the lake".
That was a 5 pound large mouth. He would have won the event. I think he came in 5th, and still takes a heep of crap to this day for that mistake.

Greg

#3 ·
NEWSKI YOU BEAT ME TO IT!

I like our penalty that we've made this year. Throwing the big fish back is not enough of a penalty.

Tournament anglers get deducted if they bring a dead fish to the scales which is totally out of their control, so why not penalize them for something that is in their control.

Btw, I can count to 10...when i take my shoes off

#4 ·
..I was so bummed out when that happened to me,..couldn't believe we brought 6 to the scale!! ARRGH!! Ohwell..it was an honest mistake and several of the other teams came up to me afterwards and said,.."Relax Mac,..it happens to everyone sooner or later,..we know you weren't trying to pull anything!!"....That was cool...but I haven't been that embarrased in years!!!..ahahah...I felt like a total idiot!!
(It WON'T happen again...I promise you that!!)

Mac

#6 ·
I would've given anything to make that 6th fish "disappear" that day
lol... had a good weight that day otherwise!!
...ohwell....live,..learn,..and count'em again!!hahaha

#7 ·
Happens to the best of em. Hate to admit it but it happened to me last year in a GNT Thursday night. We had the tournament won with 5 of our fish but elected to disqualify ourselves for being so stupid. We threw the entire catch back as soon as we noticed the sixth fish in the livewell, didn't bother to weigh any. The bright side is, we always triple check now.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE(mdclosso @ Mar 24 2003, 03:29 PM)Happens to the best of em. Hate to admit it but it happened to me last year in a GNT Thursday night. We had the tournament won with 5 of our fish but elected to disqualify ourselves for being so stupid. We threw the entire catch back as soon as we noticed the sixth fish in the livewell, didn't bother to weigh any. The bright side is, we always triple check now.
Admirable and honest....that is what makes the GNT a great circuit. You are to be commended for your actions. I would recommend going fishing now so you can practice the art of counting, BTW take Mac with you...lol

BTW Zell won it by 12 pounds....alomost hit 100 pounds for 4 days...awesome!

Mini

#11 ·
Mdclosso I witnessed that night that you had one to many fish and disqualified your self, which stuck in my mind and will be there for a long time. That was the highest and most honest thing I have witnessed in tournament fishing it was a pleasure meeting you guys that night.

Mike
I.S.G. Pro Staff
www.erieanglers.com

#12 ·
Mac
I admire your way of dealing with the issue. I stated, I'm sorry and before I could say anything else you said rules are rules...drop the ax. Not in those exact word but real close. Anglers like you show the industry that mistakes happen and lets move forward.

Mike and Shane
You guys rock! You could have left a fish in the live well but you did what was right! Thanks for being the people that the two of you are.

These are just a couple of anglers that proved, that doing right has them deemed winners! We are out there to have fun and fulfill our competitive needs. By deliberatly doing wrong, you can never win! Yes, you may walk away with the money, but you'll "NEVER" walk away a winner. There are so many reasons why we do what we do and this is one of the highlights.

Mini, do you remember the 70's or 80's when they used to have t-shirts that said "I'm with stupid"?????Donnie bought his.LOL LOL LOL LOL I just fell off the chair...Imagine both Donnie and Mini wearing these t-shirts. I don't think you two will ever be late again, when it's in your control. I have never seen you two so depressed. Mistakes happen, I know you two put so much on your actions and trust me when I say this doesn't affect who you are in the industry.

Doug

#13 ·
Shane and I have agreed to avoid future instances. Shane's in charge of counting the fish and I watch the time. Being in charge of two things in one tournament is just too much responsibility.

p.s. Mini, weren't you on the tournament staff the time you forgot check on time? Sorry, just a cheap shot. Mac reminded me of the incident and I couldn't resist.

#14 ·
Yes I will take full reponsibilty for that infraction. I have paid the price of not controlling things that I could. Partners are partners, humans are humans.

I can guarntee you that only mechanical breakdown will keep me from being late again. Do you realize that the tournament mistake cost us 4th place overall, we dropped to 10 or 11th. Our lowest finish ever in the circuit and we had a win (first for us in GNT) and a 2nd. You can now feel my pain...lol

Mini

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Mini,

There is a bright cloud in the whole picture. A persons character is shown with bright rays of sunshine or dark clouds of doom and gloom when adversity hits them. All of the examples mentioned earlier in the thread has delt with the adversity and are glowing! I know it bothered you, but that is what makes people like Mac, Mike, Shane Donnie and you valuable to an industry filled with questions. Pioneers of accepting responsibility, so many point fingers at others and blame everyone but themselves, it's never their fault, someone just doesn't like me or they are jeolous of me. Whatever the silly excuse is, they come out looking bad. The group you are in, walk away winners every time! Sponsors want men of integrity!

Doug

#16 ·
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

You guys are so funny, the horror.
I'm sure am glad that Donnie blames me for being late.
4:30 ha.
Donnie doesn't even speak to me, lol
I must be really talented, I speak and my lips don't even move.
Next time he talk's to me, I will have to get a dummy to sit on my lap.
Don't worry MAC your center of gravity could be harmful.
Hey, what about SLUGGO, I could use him as my dummy.
He would probably fit nicely into my spacious RANGER.
Too Funny, Lets fish

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
...my center of Gravity??...It's perfect dude,..."Weeble's wobble, but they DON'T fall down!"..LOL ..besides,..you shouldn't be doggin' ANYBODY about their center of gravity, Twiggy!!!!!
LOL
I'll let Sluggo know that you're looking for a partner,....then you can remind him that he's got a tournament tomorrow and you can drive over to his house and wake him up at 4am, since he FORGOT about the tournament that you reminded him about the day before!!!.....(And my new Ranger is more spacious than yours!!..PFFTTttPP)

Now go engineer something willya?!!!!

#18 ·
I am a firm believer in the extra penalty.

Our club (club tournament) had a problem in the past with Short fish being brought to the scales... not 1/8 inch short but 12 inch fish... that is unacceptable. It does not look good when these fish are thrown back at the ramp. We now insist that all culling/measuring/counting be done before you run to the ramp. We have discussed disqualification being put into the rules if this practice continues.. as our rules state.. you have broken a State law by having the short fish (or more that your legal limit) in the livewell- Don't have a measuring board... Get one! Can't count- use your partners fingers.. ONE TWO ...Take the time to know what is going on in the boat, then the red face you have will only be sunburn.

I know I don't get the chance to fish many OPENS, but the fishermen need to be more aware of what they are doing and how they are perceived by the public attending these events.

I commend the Honest guys for your admirable actions! Guys like you make this sport great!

AS for being LATE- we have discussed several reasons (in club tournaments) --- One is that you MUST stop to help a boater in distress.. I know this may not EVER happen .. but it may one day- on your run back in...especially the way some of these tuna boaters drive... I for one, will take the DQ if necessary if someones life is in danger. (I remember a boat being run over at the clinton river.. and have one boat run close enough to us that the wake was thrown on the front deck)

Also- off the subject --as we all get older
... there is a greater chance of Heart attacks etc... each of us should take the time to take a CPR course-
Larry just had a real mild one and I wish you guys would keep your eye on him out there

Sharon

#19 ·
Sharon,..we'll keep an eye on him forsure,....mostly for his well-being,..and a little bit to see what he's throwing!!!..LOL
...hope you're feeling good in no time Larry!!..Seeya on the water real soon!!

Regards,
Mac

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.