Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12' alluminum boat with a 25hp motor.

First off, is this setup ok for LSC or is this too small?

Where is the best place to put in to start out close to the "hot spots" for smallmouth? (i'm not familiar with the area so streets would be helpfull as well)

What types of lures and equipment should i drop in the boat?

Thanks for the help!

-Art

·
Registered
241 Posts
That is a rather small watercraft for St. Clair but one spot you should safely be able to fish out there would be to launch at South River Rd. (Harley Ensign) from there you just pull out of the harbor to the other side of the rock wall. There has been plenty of good fishing around there plus you are nice and close to the launch should conditions worsen.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have also heard the fishing is good by the rock wall. Just be careful going in and out. There are a lot of idiots coming in and out of the Clinton River & the launch. I have a 23ft and have to always be looking to make sure somebody is not trying to run me down. Good luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
Be careful around the launch there. Depending on where your at it can still get really rough. If there is heavy boat traffic (and there will be) avoid the launch entrance area. You may want to consider largemouth fishing with the set up you have. If you have a front mounted trolling motor you can have a blast catching largemouth near breakwalls, docks, and canals. It's always fairly calm in these areas. Also, drive over and launch in the channels and you'll have all kinds of protected water to fish.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You could also try Selfridge. I have heard some reports of bass being caught by their. Not sure how from shore. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but the boat traffic then was nothing like the Clinton River. I would imagine that has not changed. Maybe somebody can provide a little more insight on the fish report & launch. Also, the DNR launch off Ballard (where u launched Marcus) may be a good place. I have seen a lot of small boats in that area. May have to go out from shore a little ways though for bass (i've heard around 1 mile). Whever u decide to go, go early. Less boats and calmer water. Good luck

·
Registered
319 Posts
You will want to stay away from the clinton. I used to have a 14 ft w/ a 10 and the clinton was always a place I stayed away from because of the boat traffic. The wakes from those crusiers will take a small boat like that down. As for fishing I would launch at selfridge and look for weed beds all over the west end of anchor bay. You can catch fish with the comfort of only being a few minutes away from the launch.
Thanks, Matt Belletini

·
Registered
20 Posts
I too have a 14 ft w/ 10 horse. I usually launch in one of two spots: selfridge, right at end of M-59; or the DNR launch by Deckers, northeastern Anchor Bay , off anchor bay drive and M-29 right in the north channel.

the nice thing about the Deckers launch is you can stay right in the channels and not worry about weather or tidal wave size boat wakes from the behemoths that frequent the south river launch. Catch many fish right in the snide (old middle channel I think) trolling bodies and casting spinners: smallies, muskie, pike and walleye at any given time. I see a lot of guys out there handlining or chugging right in the north channel for walleye, especially in the fall. Channels provide access to a lot of great fishing if you have the time. Can run down to Gull Island and fish by current and old lighthouses for smallies and perch, or troll the drop by north side of walpole island for walleye and smallies. but if you make this trek take extra gas and have a lot of time because it is a hike in a small boat with small motor. drawback to fishing the snide is it is a popular place for water skiing and tubing etc because of its shallow sand bar sides and steep drops.

At selfridge, early season fishing right in the bay for muskies is always hot. pulled a 25+ lber out of there less than a month ago, released him to catch another day. now can get smallies, large mouth, cats, pike and occasional muskie casting around the weed beds in 6-8 feet of water with shad raps and spinners. early in the day, and deeper water later.

that is the best I can do and all I know at this point. still learning. any insight anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. especially interested in tube techniques. I have never been much of a plastics fisherman but just bought some tubes and want to try them. anyone have advice on technique, colors etc?

see you out there.

berger

·
Registered
236 Posts
Liquid, I second the advice to stick to launching at Selfridge, Brandenburg, Fair Haven, or Deckers. There is good fishing nearby each of these launches and less worry over large cruiser traffic and the dreaded st clair chop. On calm days, you could also try the DNR launch near Crocker and Jefferson, and fish L'Anse Creuse bay and the northern reach of the mile roads. In any case, pay attention to the weather at all times. Safety first!

Berger, I'm not a tube expert, but I have caught my share of SM on them rigging texas-style or directly tied to a round or tube-specific jig head, weights ranging from 1/2 oz down to about 1/8 oz depending on drift speed and water depth. Use as light a line as you can, especially if you use jig heads. Lighter line seems to get more bites as the season gets older.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Last year, about this time, i went out with a friend about a mile and a half from the selfridge launch. drifted with crawlers on perch rigs and did great on smallies and perch, plus sheephead, rock bass, some catfish and panfish. find the deeper water if you can and you can have a nice relaxing day drifting and hopefully have a good dinner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.