Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that we have been unusually silent about the smallies. Is this because we are catching so many that we don't have time to comment? Or could it be that the fishing is really bad?

My report is in the latter catagory. I was out for about three hours Monday morning caught 5 smallies - largest 2.9lb. Thursday we caught two largemouths in five hours.

We were fishing Anchor bay out of Fair Haven. Water was stainded but not to bad and we tried from 4 feet to 6 feet.

I hope you guys are having more luck but the guys I talked to at the ramp were doing no better and they had tried other parts of the lake.

Who was that guy that wanted nore water in the lake? OH that was me.

Catch and release!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been fishing St. Clair for many years now, and I have never had a tough time catching 50 to 100 bass in the mile roads and south but this year Iam lucky to catch 10 all day out there. I don't know what the problem is, if it is the rain we had or the earlier spawn, maybe these fish are already in transition and the normal post spawn bite wasn't there this year. Don't know. Spots that I have caught 50 out of by myself I can't even get a bit out of now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here that one smallie5! I am not as much into the bass fishing as many of you are but during most of my attempts this year at walleye fishing have been lucky to catch one or two around the mile roads and that is about a tenth of what I usually get this time of year drifting the harnesses and jigs.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I didn't have any luck on opening day but I had very poor fishing discipline - I woke about about 9 am (as my father said, "half the day is gone!"), went out to breakfast, worked on my boat until 3 in the afternoon, then waded around for about an hour really giving it hell. But I did see some great birds and a muskrat that just about swam up my swim trunks, and I had a good time.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Fishing has been tough on smallies for sure. I think they have been waiting for me to come home.....tomorrow Mac and I will be fishing for FUN. No tourney, no pressure, pure fishing fun.

I cant wait!

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Jun 25 2004, 10:20 PM)I think they have been waiting for me to come home...

Unfortunately I don't have the answers right now either. I will say this they are very scattered right now (IMO). This time of year is when you typically start to see the first signs of schooling activity as the packs of smallies chase bait and mayfly hatches around. Have not seen that yet.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
As a matter of fact I do remember getting a couple of bites when we were near you on Thur!!! Coincidence??

Where you guys going tomorrow? Maybe I'll just follow you.
Smallies aren't chasing bait, there chasing the pretty blue boat!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have not fished for anything but muskies since the first sat in june, but we could not keep the smallies off of our hooks while walleye fishing for the 3 - 4 weeks before that. They were really stacked up from fords cove to the delphine channel, and they are still there, its just a lot harder to fish there because of the recent weed growth
and the floating weeds.
I will try a little bass fishing sunday morning
(before musky fishing) and report my results afterward.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fished last Wednesday.
Caught only four from 7AM till about 12:30. Had to move quite a bit to catch them.

Fished the mile roads all the way down to Delphine. Tons of boats out there. Everybody else kept moving also. I didn't see anybody boat any fish.

I don't know much about mayflies, but I do know that when you head out across the lake, you'd better duck cause it's like riding a motor cycle at night time.

Seems like the bass are really scattered. Catch one and move. Don't seemed to be schooled up.

Been out a couple of times, and seems like tubes are working best. Have only caught one on a spinner bait.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts