Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bringing my 9 year old boy up fishing next week to the SCR and SCL and was looking for some help with what types of tube jigs, size and color that work up there? I tried doing a search, but I could not find anything on what size tube and what size jig.

I would appreciate any help, thanks.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Basically any tube will work well on St Clair.
I adjust the weight depending on the depth and conditions I'm fishing. Ideally the tube should just drag and bump along the bottom, use as little weight as possible, but enough to keep is on or close to the bottom. I carry weights from 1/8 to 1/4 oz. Deeper water or rough conditions I use more weight.
As far as "working" a tube you can just drop it or cast it and let it fall to the bottom and drag along or if conditions are calm you can give it a twitch, pause, twitch type action. The fish will tell you what they want, some days they want very little action other days they want a bit more.
A tube is designed to simulate a crayfish. A threatened crayfish will scurry backward away from it's prey. Colors vary on crayfish as they molt, try shades or green, green-gold, tan to brown and shades of grey.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Big Dog, I appreiate your help. I can tell you have a lot of knowledge thanks for sharing it.

Have a nice and safe 4th of July

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(Racerx211 @ Jul 3 2009, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Big Dog, I appreiate your help. I can tell you have a lot of knowledge thanks for sharing it.

Thanks for the compliment
, there are some days when I feel like a beginner, but I do read everything I can get my hands on.
Enjoy the holiday, hope to see you on the water sometime.

·
Registered
15 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 3 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Racerx211 @ Jul 3 2009, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Big Dog, I appreiate your help. I can tell you have a lot of knowledge thanks for sharing it.

Thanks for the compliment
, there are some days when I feel like a beginner, but I do read everything I can get my hands on.
Enjoy the holiday, hope to see you on the water sometime.

Big Dog,

You are being too modest! Last year when I met you at the dock, your advice was awesome!

Jim

·
Banned
187 Posts
I was interested in this too Big Dog thanks! I have not had much luck yet on the tubes this year. Hit up the Spillway last night and got nothing but bug bites (scratchin now lol). Browns are what I like to use as you said to mimic the crayfish. Funny thing is when I rig up the plastic crayfish I never get much. Tubes are much better for me. Good luck fishing. Later

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
Nautical Mile bp has a selection of tubes and tube jigs designed just for fishing on St. Clair. Give them a visit when you get here and you'll be all set. They're at the corner of 9 mile and Jefferson in St. Clair Shores. 586-498-7650

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been using the Bass Pro Shop 3.5" purple and yellow tubes with a 1/4 oz tender tube jig. I believe it has a 3/0 hook on it. This is actually all I have fished with so far this year and it has been very productive for me. We fish infront of 400 club apartments about 200 yards off shore casting and retrieving with a slight twitch every few turns of the reel. We have caught a ton of large mouth in this area. Also a little south east of the point at metro using the same rig we caught a fair amount of smallies as well. Hope you guys have a great trip, always great to get the little ones on the lake too!

Zak

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try the diffrent color patterns of YUM (or any other salted tube) in green and brown. Green with gold and purple flake is pretty choice. I dont find the tube jigs all that neccessary though. Regular jigs work the same although they have a small hook so I prefer shakey heads. If you get the shakey head jigs you can use them for worms and crawfish imitators which work just as well for bass around here. Fishing with tubes is cool since its so easy anyone has the chance to catch a monster bass even if your not a seasoned pro. Have fun.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
QUOTE(vinniemays @ Jul 5 2009, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Try the diffrent color patterns of YUM (or any other salted tube) in green and brown. Green with gold and purple flake is pretty choice. I dont find the tube jigs all that neccessary though. Regular jigs work the same although they have a small hook so I prefer shakey heads. If you get the shakey head jigs you can use them for worms and crawfish imitators which work just as well for bass around here. Fishing with tubes is cool since its so easy anyone has the chance to catch a monster bass even if your not a seasoned pro. Have fun.

The YUM tube with gold and purple flake is called Mardis Gras. It has been THE hot color in my boat this year, both for me and my clients. Unfortunately, I don't know anywhere you can get them locally. You can order them factory direct at LureNet. com.

·
Registered
68 Posts
[/quote]The YUM tube with gold and purple flake is called Mardis Gras. It has been THE hot color in my boat this year, both for me and my clients. Unfortunately, I don't know anywhere you can get them locally. You can order them factory direct at LureNet. com.
[/quote]

Haha you can thank me for that one. They have them at Dicks on 23 mile every once in a while but I buy a few packages everytime they got them. Yum also makes a mock crawfish in that pattern which IMO works a little better. I dont think the fish have seen as many of those as the tubes. Rigging those boys with a shakey head gives it a real lifelike action and produce many of the bigger bass, especially around a rocky shoreline. There was many times when everybody in the boat was throwing a green tube and catching a few dinks but the same color craw was producing the nicer bass.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
The YUM crawfish you're thinking about is probably the Craw Papi. That's another one that I've gone through bags and bags of - in that mardis gras color.

And I'm sorry Big Dog, that's my job
. BTW, Jackie at the bp wanted to know if you bought all of those pearl melon XCalibur Xr50's. She had a dozen of them in stock and they're all gone!

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Jul 6 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The YUM crawfish you're thinking about is probably the Craw Papi. That's another one that I've gone through bags and bags of - in that mardis gras color.

And I'm sorry Big Dog, that's my job
. BTW, Jackie at the bp wanted to know if you bought all of those pearl melon XCalibur Xr50's. She had a dozen of them in stock and they're all gone!

I got one!!! Doug, you're a good salesman, that color is hard to find

1 - 15 of 15 Posts