Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went out this morning (12-26-21) with my grandson for some shore fishing. Nothing much biting on plastics at the Selfridge DNR canals other than just a few dink perch. Nothing worth keeping. Went from there over to Metro Park. Same baits, same results at the boat basin. Tried to fish off of the aluminum dock in the Black Creek near the boat launch, and it was freezing over so we could not cast out from there. Cannot walk on the ice yet. It is a very thin skim ice. Broke the ice straight down next to the dock, and caught a few dink perch, but not many at all for the time spent there.

Did not try minnows or grubs today, just plastics, so I don't know if other baits would have got anything or not. It was a great morning to be out there fishing this morning, whether we caught any or not. Was going to head over to Blossom Heath and try the canal by the coast guard station, but had to go rescue my daughter who's car broke down on the freeway instead, so we did not make it to the south end of the lake today.

Registered
It was a nice day to get out anyway, good for you for giving it a try.
Looks like cold weather coming next week, it may form some ice for the hard water people.
I'll be waiting for warm / soft water in March, I can't take the cold anymore.
Keep your grandson hooked on fishing :cool: always a better time when the kids come along.
My grandson (12 y.o.) talks none stop when on the boat, I really enjoy the way he opens up when on the boat 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My grandson is 14 now. He has been my best fishing buddy for the past 7 years now. He wants to go with me every time I get out, either in the boat or from shore. He lives in an area that is full of farm ponds and he takes his bike or golf cart in his subdivision and fishes just about every day. (He's not allowed on the ponds for ice fishing without his father being with him). He has more and better rods & reels than I have. LOL He is a "bass guy", while I like to troll for eyes mostly, so when we go out in the boat, we do a bit of both.

I enjoy spending the quality time & making memories with him so he will never forget his "Papa" after I am gone.

Registered
Went out this morning (12-26-21) with my grandson for some shore fishing. Nothing much biting on plastics at the Selfridge DNR canals other than just a few dink perch. Nothing worth keeping. Went from there over to Metro Park. Same baits, same results at the boat basin. Tried to fish off of the aluminum dock in the Black Creek near the boat launch, and it was freezing over so we could not cast out from there. Cannot walk on the ice yet. It is a very thin skim ice. Broke the ice straight down next to the dock, and caught a few dink perch, but not many at all for the time spent there.

Did not try minnows or grubs today, just plastics, so I don't know if other baits would have got anything or not. It was a great morning to be out there fishing this morning, whether we caught any or not. Was going to head over to Blossom Heath and try the canal by the coast guard station, but had to go rescue my daughter who's car broke down on the freeway instead, so we did not make it to the south end of the lake today.
Any day you can get out is a good day. I haven't been north to check things out up there. Am hoping to get out "down here" more than twice this year. Last year got out twice and had no luck at all. Usually just fish at Metro, out from the day sail area. I'm a west sider and don't know the area over there at all. Stay safe everyone.

Registered
My grandson is 14 now. He has been my best fishing buddy for the past 7 years now. He wants to go with me every time I get out, either in the boat or from shore. He lives in an area that is full of farm ponds and he takes his bike or golf cart in his subdivision and fishes just about every day. (He's not allowed on the ponds for ice fishing without his father being with him). He has more and better rods & reels than I have. LOL He is a "bass guy", while I like to troll for eyes mostly, so when we go out in the boat, we do a bit of both.

I enjoy spending the quality time & making memories with him so he will never forget his "Papa" after I am gone.
Awesome that you have a fishing buddy like that. I have a 7 year old granddaughter who fishes with me once or twice a year up north. On Christmas day she asked: "Papa, do I get to go fishing up north with you this year"? Almost brought a tear to my eye. My 2 year old grandson will be introduced to fishing this summer as well. The 8 month old granddaughter - she may need another year of seasoning before she goes fishing.

Registered
My grandson's love to go fishing in the cold, but I'm getting to be a sissy in this cold weather and tend to take them more during the warmer months.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts