Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Must have missed 30 smallies yesterday.Fishing a tube in 15ft.Seems like they are just bitin the tails.Had 1 fish hit 6 times before I hooked em.I tried a stinger & still missed them.Had a few on by the boat & they throw the hook.Any idea's on what to try.I noticed this just in the last 3 weeks or so.Maybe mid summer heat is makin the smallies less aggressive.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
A fish hitting a bait 6 times is pretty darn agressive....

Was your hook sharp? What kind of line? What rod?

I didnt have a problem yesterday fishing 25 feet with a Mustad UltraPoint, XPS line and an All Star Rod.

Mini

·
Registered
216 Posts
The last tournament I fished on St. Clair (Jan's), I had a similar problem. The fish were biting extremely soft in the morning and were not holding the tube more than a few seconds. All fish hooked on the very outside of the mouth. If I didn't feel the line twitch when they picked up, they would drop immediately when I lifted the rod. I still hooked some fish, but I did a lot of ducking after my hookset. Don't know why!!!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Hey use fireline it won't stretch, also take your needle nose pliers, and bend the hook out a bit. If you use the fireline you won't even have to set the hook. Use the 4 or 6 lb. fireline. Yes you can send me a thank-you message. lol

h2o, you will stop missing them guaranteed!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I say 4 and 6 pound test because it's so thin. 4lb. test is 1lb.diameter 6lb.test is 2lb. dia. awful thin stuff. And fireline is a superline but not a braid. And the stuff is so strong, and it's under rated. I just have such great success with it all the time. Just try it and you'll see Dave. guaranteed!!!!!

h2o, no i don't work for berkley lol....

·
Registered
263 Posts
i was fishing deep on monday, and i had the same smallmouth hit the bait 11 times before i stuck it well, and another 8 times. just keep dropping your rod and feeding the fish line when you get a strike and miss it, most of the time the fish will hit the bait again, and again, etc. the fish could have been small too. most of the largest fish don't hit over and over, just the smaller fish, usually. i would set the hook and lift the fish a couple feet off the bottom before the hook would come out, and just drop my rod and hook the fish again. this happened all day long. i caught almost all of the fish that did that, though. good luck fishing. derrek

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Dave also if that happens again change to a 1/8th ounce round ball jig head. Married with a 3 inch berkley power grub. Fish hold on to that about 19 times longer. Remember bend the hook out a bit. White, chartruse, pumpkin, shad, or my favorite pearl and white. ( looks like tan and white) Also tournament strength grubs are best.

h2o

1 - 8 of 8 Posts