Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been out several times this season & it seems that everytime I hook a fish on a tube they have been hooked deep, usually in the gut.

I'm not a professional fisherman but 've caught enough fish not to be considered a rookie. The minute I feel a bump, I reel down & set the hook but the fish are still getting the bait down deep. It seems to happen only with tubes. I was out last Monday and we were using spottails & tubes. I caught just as many smallies on tubes as my buddy caught on live bait which was encouraging but half of the fish were hooked deep. I got the hook out of a few by pushing the eye through the gill & pulling up on the shank. This method works sometimes but I had to cut the line & release the fish with the hook buried to save the fishes life.

As far as I know, I haven't killed a smallie this year but I have lost a lot of tube heads. I use premium equipment with fresh line all the time. I almost always feel everything the bait is doing.

Does anybody have any advice for me on how I can get better hook sets without gut hooking them???

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Try pinching the barb, you won't lose many and it will be alot easier to remove the hook big time. Also bend the hook out just a bit. Just give it a try and see how much easier it will be to get out. Also using fireline might set the hook faster and they won't get it down so far. Hope this helps.

h2o fireline rules 4+6 lb. smoke color

·
Registered
263 Posts
this has happened to me alot this year too. when i use a texas rig tube weedless, i don't hook the fish in the throat. if i use a jig head and a tube, i throat hook them around half of the time. one day i killed 3 smallies, so i had to keep them for dinner. other than that, i have got the hook out w/o killing the fish. when i use a jig head with a grub, i haven't throat hooked one yet. this is a little weird. anyways, i just want to hook them any way i can, so i can live with a few hooked in the throat. i have hooked so many smallies in the throat, i am getting to be a pro at getting the hook out of them. i just use my index finger and push the bend of the hook deeper into their throat to release the barb from them, then the hook usually just pulls out. other than that, you can get some long needle nose pliers and try that too. good luck fishing, and try to keep the smallies alive. Derrek

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Sometimes they just plain eat it. Other days they just nibble at it.

Try to set the hook immediately and be ready to do it again if you miss them on the nibble days. Braided line and/or a light and sensitive rod (guess which kind...lol).

My favorite tube rod set up is just that...PowerPro Braid and an All Star Titanium rod.

Mini

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had tried Power Pro this season & have a spool set ready to go with power pro 8/30???. When I tried it a couple times, the line felt heavy & I didn't seem to get much feel like the P-Line I normally use. Should I try lighter lb. test? Does the braid sppok the fish???

I wish that stuff wasn't so expensive............

John,

By the way, what is that tube rod from All Star that I heard you talk about before in a couple of posts. I know they sell it at BPS. I think you said it was around $70. Can & get it for any cheaper anywhere around???

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
The Tube Rod Special is a Classic Series 7 foot spinning rod either 3 or 5 power (med. lt or med.). I helped develop both those rods with All Star a few years back and they have been selling well. MSRP is $69.99 and it is available at Bass Pro Shops in Auburn Hills. I have seen it on sale for $49.99 at times (usually during the Spring Classic)

Mini

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(tubechucker @ Sep 7 2003, 08:37 AM)I didn't seem to get much feel like the P-Line I normally use. Should I try lighter lb. test?
P-Line (depending on what you get) is a monofiliment line and PowerPro is braid. There is no mono that is as sensitive as braid, plain and simple.

I use the 8/30 most of the time but do go to 6/20 on occasion.

"Heavy"? The stuff floats its so light. It is extremely limp, as are most braids, and will transmit strikes even on slack line.

If you think you are getting a better feel with mono than braid, I dont know what to say. I know that ANY braid is more sensitive than mono....

Mini

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mini, it sounds like you know your stuff. when you talk about a tube rod do you prefer a stiff action? I am looking for a rod with backbone but just a bit of "soft" in the tip. Often I find when working a lighter jig 1/8, 1/16, i want a bit of give so I can maneuver the jig through weeds. I like to work the jig with my hands and not the reel. It seems that soft ness allows the jig to move just a smidge more to allow a better take by the fish. Do you have any rod suggestions? I also note you used an xps jerkbait, is that like a husky jerk? Does xps make a "countdown" type bait like rapala. Countdowns are a killer here in the spring ( Ludington) off the breakwall for big eyes, 10 - 14 pounds. I'd love to find another countdown with a slightly different action than rapala. Have you tried cabela's rip cord? How does it compare to the braided you recommend? I often run into big great lakes run pike in the pere marquette lake about now. I put on a heavier fluro ( 30 - 40 #) to minimize bite offs. With a loop knot or big snap I don't know that I sacrifice that much action. You might have gotten a look at that A buoy lady with a heavier leader. i don't fish nearly as much as you do and am certain you have forgotten more than I know. Just thought I'd throw out some ides. Let me know about the rod choices. Also where I might get my hands on a Cardinal 3 or 4 ( swedish made) . Has anyone ever written a good fishing guide to Lake St. Clair? My wifes folks have a cottage on the sni and I love this lake more than any I've ever fished! Joe

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Bob Brunner has written many books on fishing Lake St Clair. You should look for him here. He still guides too.

I prefer a Medium Magnum Spinning (5 power) rod for tubes. If I go real light, as you suggested, I will go with a Medium Light Magnum Spin (3 Power). The rod has alot more backbone than standard spinning rods, but a light fast tip for sensitivity. In my honest opinion, the finest rod I have ever used for fishing tubes is the same action and style, but in the top of the line Titanium Series by All Star. Worth the $199.95 MSRP and comes with a lifetime warranty (as do ALL of the All Stars).

The XPS jerkbait I like to throw is a suspending model. XPS makes both floating and suspending and I throw both depending on the conditions. They do not make a sinking or countdown, but you can get them to sink by using some sticky weight or by using larger hooks (sometimes an advantage
)

Mini

·
Registered
927 Posts
tubechucker,

what weight are you using when fishing tubes? i have had many days on lsc where the fish will swallow a 1/4 oz tube like it was a piece of cotton candy. this happened to me at the last bfl event. i gut hooked 3 in a row. i was setting the hook immediatly too. but once i switched to a 3/8 oz, i was getting them right in the corner of the mouth. and the fish were hammering the heavier tube much harder than they were the 1/4 oz.

in my opinion, switching to a heavier tube head makes it harder for the fish to swallow the bait. when they are feeding aggresivly, they literally try to swallow it asap. i have had to go even heavier to a 1/2 oz once. luckily i had some with me, i usually stay with 1/4 - 3/8 oz when tube fishing but man they were inhaling the 3/8.

anyway, just a suggestion. if you are using 1/8 oz, try bumping it up to a 1/4 oz, and same if you are having problems with 1/4 oz. just try bumping the weight up a bit. make it harder for them to swallow.

if it is affecting the way you fish, i would suggest just sticking with what works for you, just try to lay into them quick.

madman himself

1 - 10 of 10 Posts