Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
16,364 Posts
Sometimes they just plain eat it. Other days they just nibble at it.

Try to set the hook immediately and be ready to do it again if you miss them on the nibble days. Braided line and/or a light and sensitive rod (guess which kind...lol).

My favorite tube rod set up is just that...PowerPro Braid and an All Star Titanium rod.

Mini

· Premium Member
16,364 Posts
The Tube Rod Special is a Classic Series 7 foot spinning rod either 3 or 5 power (med. lt or med.). I helped develop both those rods with All Star a few years back and they have been selling well. MSRP is $69.99 and it is available at Bass Pro Shops in Auburn Hills. I have seen it on sale for $49.99 at times (usually during the Spring Classic)

Mini

· Premium Member
16,364 Posts
QUOTE(tubechucker @ Sep 7 2003, 08:37 AM)I didn't seem to get much feel like the P-Line I normally use. Should I try lighter lb. test?
P-Line (depending on what you get) is a monofiliment line and PowerPro is braid. There is no mono that is as sensitive as braid, plain and simple.

I use the 8/30 most of the time but do go to 6/20 on occasion.

"Heavy"? The stuff floats its so light. It is extremely limp, as are most braids, and will transmit strikes even on slack line.

If you think you are getting a better feel with mono than braid, I dont know what to say. I know that ANY braid is more sensitive than mono....

Mini

· Premium Member
16,364 Posts
Bob Brunner has written many books on fishing Lake St Clair. You should look for him here. He still guides too.

I prefer a Medium Magnum Spinning (5 power) rod for tubes. If I go real light, as you suggested, I will go with a Medium Light Magnum Spin (3 Power). The rod has alot more backbone than standard spinning rods, but a light fast tip for sensitivity. In my honest opinion, the finest rod I have ever used for fishing tubes is the same action and style, but in the top of the line Titanium Series by All Star. Worth the $199.95 MSRP and comes with a lifetime warranty (as do ALL of the All Stars).

The XPS jerkbait I like to throw is a suspending model. XPS makes both floating and suspending and I throw both depending on the conditions. They do not make a sinking or countdown, but you can get them to sink by using some sticky weight or by using larger hooks (sometimes an advantage
)

Mini

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.