Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.. New to the site.. Been reading a lot on the smallmouth on here.. I just looking for some info.. Ill be up for a small 6 or 7 boat 2day tourney we do once a year. Ive been going up to Algonac fishing for smallies in the river for a few years now and have done really well, but we've been up the the last couple of weekends and havent had much luck at all.. I want to try fishing the lake at the end of next week Thurs-Sun. and have no idea where to start.. Coming up from IN thursday by myself if anyone wants to go out for the day I have an open seat..
Thanks for any and all info..
Chad

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Here's some good info for you: DO NOT POWER LOAD at the boat ramps.
Pass it on to your tourny buddys.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Nice of you to offer the open seat. It's been tough. I haven't targeted bass out of my boat once in the past month.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Deep diving minnow baits and crayfish imitations in the deeper water (15 ft +, especially along the channel edges) also get nice ones. Also lots of 'em S of Huron Point in 15-16 FOW. Don't be afraid to work 'em fast if you want good sized fish. One day I was only getting 'em trolling at 3+ to 3.5 mph.

I use a 30# fluoro leader with the minnow baits to prevent pike-offs.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
QUOTE(tmonaghan @ Aug 12 2009, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Aug 10 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Try crankbaits around the isolated rockpiles in 10-14ft. along the south (Canadian) shore of the lake.
What's a good crankbait to use? most of the deeper divers look to be pretty big for smallmoths.

I like the Bomber Fat Free Shads. Either a BD-5 or BD-6. I've had 4lb smallies spit up 6"-8" perch. Most deep divers (the bodies) are alot smaller than that.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(tmonaghan @ Aug 12 2009, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What's a good crankbait to use? most of the deeper divers look to be pretty big for smallmoths.

Rapala DT Flat Series Crankbaits in Hot Mustard.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Capt. Doug's right on about the prey size for the real pigs. I've been getting my biggest smallies on 7.5 inch swimbaits (median 18.5 inches!) and 4-5 inch minnow baits (median 15 inches). Better numbers with the smaller baits, better size with the big ones.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Got out this morning and tried the deep cranking program. Got a 5.3 and a 4.2 on a Rapala DT-14, shad color. Found a little area where the bottom is sand/gravel/scattered rock - no weeds, no sand grass on the bottom. That's where the fish were.

And thanks to the 2 guys from Indiana who loaned me their jumper cables when my cranking battery died!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.