Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been smelt dippin in quite a few years, I used to go to Port Huron behind the city hall. Does anyone from this site go? If so what are the prime water temps for catching these tasty little morsels?

·
Registered
10,622 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went last year a couple of times in the spring, under the shadows of the Bluewater Bridge on the PH side. One time we got skunked, the next we went home with a nice sized pail of them. I love it because it's a decent workout and they're obviously easier to clean than other fish. Snip snip swish...done!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I've dipped for smelt along the thumb area from Port Sanilac to Port Austin, in the AuGres and Tawas area, and at Point Pelee (sp). A couple of years we brought our Coleman stove, some flour, salt, cooking oil and a deep frying pan, We cleaned and cooked some smelt while we were dipping 'em. Talk about fresh fish.

What I'd really like to try is dippin' in a U.P. river or stream. Maybe along the Carp River or somewhere like that. Anyone have any info on a good spot to try? Maybe info on cabin rentals or campsites in the area as well. Sure would like to give it a try this year.
Ever try smoked smelt? Like eating potato chips. Goes great with a few blues.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts