Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that smoke, are you offended that more and more places are becoming smoke free and you have to enjoy your habit away from others and often outside?

Personally, I am a non smoker and I think this is a good thing especially cause is has been proven 10 times over, how bad it is for your health and the detremental effects of 2nd hand smoke are just as bad if not worse.

Now, I know someone who is highly offended by this and feels "they have the right to smoke" and it is not fair to be segregated because of this choice. I think this is absurd!!! Their habit has to potential to harm others (not to mention themselves) and they are offended because they can not inflict possible disease onto others?!?!

When I went to NYC and I came home from the bar and did not smell like a dirty ashtray, I was so happy!!! I can not wait for that to hit MI!!!!

Just had to vent, THANKS!

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
my problem with it is that if it is so great to have a smoke free bar and so many people want it why does it take legislation to make it so

you would think that bar owners and entrepreneurs would just make their place smoke free and all the non-smokers would flock to these places and make them rich - but that is not happening

i say make your choice NOT to go to a bar that allows smoking if that is your choice and let the lawmakers do what they do best - WASTE OUR MONEY

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
QUOTE(Girlie @ May 17 2004, 08:23 PM)When I went to NYC and I came home from the bar and did not smell like a dirty ashtray, I was so happy!!! I can not wait for that to hit MI!!!!
Could not agree with you more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
There are smoke-free bars in Michigan. I just thought that it was stupid when they make Burger king and the other fast food joints smoke free. Just like other restaurants they should not descriminate have a smokeing and nonsmoking area. I don't usually smoke and I don't care I just like to see everyone happy

But if you are drinking you are already doing something unhealthy so why not go further and smoke too.

Or go all the way...
and

never mind that's illeagal

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ May 17 2004, 10:59 PM)i say make your choice NOT to go to a bar that allows smoking if that is your choice and let the lawmakers do what they do best - WASTE OUR MONEY

Why should I have to go some place else because there are others there who are partaking in an activity that has an 80%+ chance of killing them in the long run as well as posibbly causing me health effects as well? Did you know that exposure to 2nd hand smoke is a MAJOR cause of ear infection's in children under the age of 2? Ask my kids, they almost had to get tubes inserted because there baby sitter/grandma smoked - and not even around them or in the same room when she was watching them. Notice I said "smoked" as in past tense. Grandma died from lung cancer caused by smoking 13 months and 3 days ago.

It is easy to make the quoted statement when you can make that choice, but take someone like FullThrottle, my wife, who is severly allergic to 2nd hand smoke and just see how easy it is to have to pick your restuarants or how long you can stay at a family function, before you start wheezing and getting all congested and have to spend more time outside than inside. She doesnt really have the choice to make, those that smoke around her are making that choice for her. Pretty nice of them, dont you think?

If what Girlie says is true about becoming more like NYC in this aspect, I can hardly wait.

Jokingly, people refer to a smoke break as "going out for a breathing treatment" I call it "having another cancer stick"

Can you tell I have strong feelings on this one?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
LA has no smoking in any bars or clubs unless they are established as a smoking club. Otherwise, patrons hit the street to smoke. I was in old joints that were smoked in for years and they actually don't smell bad now.

Of course, this isn't LA. You'll freeze your a$$ off or quit smoking here. When folks go out to relax, they like to have a smoke. Yes, it's a nasty, filthy habit that labels a person as less than bright, but it isn't illegal and shouldn't be. If lighting up helps you unwind, and you go to a place that wants to offer you an atmosphere you'll enjoy relaxing in, you should be able to smoke and the proprietor should be able to accomodate your smoking. Those of us who don't like smoke can just avoid smokey environs.

I really like the food at the Galley in Algonac, and they do a pretty good job of ventilating the place, but I only go about once a month because it's a bar and it's smokey. I love the Sand Bar but only go there in the summer when I can sit outside because it's just too small not to be smokey. But I have to agree with Goose that if a nonsmoking bar was a great moneymaker, more places would go that route. I don't stop in any bar to just drink, and that's where they make their money. Habitually hanging at a bar and smoking seem to be related - why make the folks who pay the bills at bars uncomfortable for the rest of us who only go to a bar once in awhile?

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ May 18 2004, 10:26 AM)Why should I have to go some place else because there are others there who are partaking in an activity that has an 80%+ chance of killing them in the long run as well as posibbly causing me health effects as well?
Well, you don't HAVE to go. That said, if people who didn't like the smoking put their money where there mouth is there would be more smoke free bars by choice and not legislation. I just don't like the government telling me or anyone what they should or should not do (and I'm not talking about where you can smoke, I'm talking about the OWNERS choice to allow smoking or not, they put up the jack and elbow grease to open the place and it should be their decision, not mine, not yours, and not the govenments. Next thing they are banning items like raw oyster and sushi at restaurants cause of the health concerns (they already have warning). Obviously the owners are making a business decision to allow smoking.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ May 18 2004, 11:26 AM)Jokingly, people refer to a smoke break as "going out for a breathing treatment" I call it "having another cancer stick"
Just a little off the subject...
I once heard of a company that allowed employees to have paid"smoke breaks" whenever they wanted, no maximum limit. They figured out how much time smoking employees used up due to smoke breaks and gave the non smoking employees an additional 2 weeks vacation per year. I've pushed for that here and have never seen my boss laugh so hard!

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
I use to smoke 2 packs a day...
I haven't smoked now for almost 29 years...
If somone want to smoke around me I just move over some. My house and car/truck are smoke free.. You can smoke on my boat but please don't blow it in my face...
My wife and I usually don't go to clubs due to the smoke. Maybe now if they are smoke free we'll attend functions more often...
To those who do smoke it's your right... Enjoy it if you do and I hope that your health doesn't get affected.. But, please don't blow your smoke over in my face... Thanks

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
My dad owns a restaurant / bar and he was saying that if they went to non-smoking they would loose a ton of business. Smokers will just stay home instead. I do like the fact that he has one room for smoking and another room on the other side of the building for non. Splitting up a giant room into smoking or non really doesn't do much. Don't get me wrong, I hate smoke and limit the amount of time I go to bars because it makes me so sick. Smokey bars are loosing my money. I would much rather prefer everyplace to be non smoking, can't wait for it to happen.

Other smoking things that bother me:
People who throw their cigarette butts out their car window, its garbage you know!! and smokers who smoke right next to the door I have to walk through to get into my office, I shouldn't have to walk through their smoke.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
I was so frustrated this morning:

Stopped at 10mile and little mack, the guy in front of me dropped his empty PACK of cigarettes out the window! And then not 10 seconds later dropped out the butt he was currently smoking..

UBL 14 I believe was the license plate.

have to look into reporting that [email protected]

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ May 19 2004, 09:31 AM)Other smoking things that bother me:
People who throw their cigarette butts out their car window, its garbage you know!! and smokers who smoke right next to the door I have to walk through to get into my office, I shouldn't have to walk through their smoke.
I've had them bounce off my windshield before.

Now I'm irritated thinking about this. <_<

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have talked to a few people over here to see who the no smoking has effected their business and they say it hasn't really hurt them. For the first few weeks they lost a bit of business, but then everyone started coming back because there was nothing they could do about it anyway. Now they will get more business because there is nothing the smokers can do and they will not just stay home, and it has brought out the people that wouldn't go before because of the smoke. In the end, it ends up benefiting them, if they can handle the initial hit.

I used to hate going to the bar because I am allergic to the smoke, now I don't mind going out.

I do agree with Goose though, I don't like the government telling me what I can and can't do; it should be up to the business owners. The same as, it was my choice not to go to the bars when they did allow smoking.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ May 19 2004, 08:39 AM)I was so frustrated this morning:

Stopped at 10mile and little mack, the guy in front of me dropped his empty PACK of cigarettes out the window! And then not 10 seconds later dropped out the butt he was currently smoking..

UBL 14 I believe was the license plate.

have to look into reporting that [email protected]

You gotta beep at them and point!! I do it all the time, at night I flash my lights at them!!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ May 19 2004, 08:42 AM)QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ May 19 2004, 09:31 AM) Other smoking things that bother me:
I've had them bounce off my windshield before.

Now I'm irritated thinking about this.

BEEP BEEP!!!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ May 19 2004, 10:15 AM)You gotta beep at them and point!! I do it all the time, at night I flash my lights at them!!
Yeah, and then they pull out a gun and shoot you or something. You never know what kind of people they are.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts